PDA

View Full Version : RA sample editing

shadowbox
04-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I have really enjoyed and made good use of RA and Colossus for a few weeks now. But barely a day goes by that I don't notice some sloppy editing here and there. There was talk a few weeks ago about some sloppy editing on the northernsound forum. Today I came across a real beauty. If you load the Mandolin RR or Live patches and play A3 at a medium velocity (76 for example) and hold the note out you will hear that the player had the sniffles that day. In general there is a lot of crap after a lot of the samples that could have been cleaned up. RA is made up of 14GB of samples. But I'm starting to think it's more like 12GB with 2 GB of shuffling feet, sniffy noses, and instrument noise. Colossus also has some sloppy editing. Most of the noises are very quiet and you can only hear them if you are holding down the note for it's entire sustain. But they are noticeable from time to time. For example during slow solo passages. It' really surprising considering the quality of the QL libraries that so many mistakes made it to the final version.

josejherring
04-12-2005, 02:58 PM
One time. When I was in the music conservatory. I had the stomach flu. It came on that day and I had to play as I'm a clarinet player and I was the only one covering my part. The show went on and I had to bring a bucket out on stage with me.

A player with the sniffles? Chalk it up to realistic performance situations. :)

Cheers,

Jose

Stefan Podell
04-12-2005, 02:59 PM
If the timpanis did a FFF roll, that might've ended the show for you right then and there.... ;)

shadowbox
04-12-2005, 03:33 PM
A player with the sniffles? Chalk it up to realistic performance situations. :)

I don't mind a little noise here and there for realism. The problem with samples is that the sound repeats every time the note is repeated in an unrealistic way. For example, finger or fret noise near the end of the sustain of a note is fine, but when you hear that exact same clunk throughout an ostinato figure it sounds like a mistake.

Nick Phoenix
04-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Ethnic instruments make wierd noises. Still we tried to get rid of any unpleasant noises at the end of samples. Any remaining ones that bother people can be removed in an update. I personally like the subtle instrument noises. Little noises after the sample can also be removed from your music by letting go of the note when the note ends. To be clear, we are not talking about noises at the beginning or in the middle of the sample. This is when the editing really counts and when the repetition factor comes into play. RA and Colossus are very well edited in this most crucial sense.

shadowbox
04-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Nick, I'm not saying this is a huge problem. I know I can edit the midi note to get rid of noises at the end of samples. But that shouldn't really be necessary with a library of this caliber. I agree that Ethic instruments make weird noises. And a little creak or fret noise here and there can help it sound real. But a "sniff" is not an instrument noise. (Except for the cast of Stomp. :p )

It's not like I was playing back each sample key by key looking for mistakes. I heard these errors while writing using normal playing techniques. I shouldn't have to slow down my process to hunt down which note is giving me some weird phantom sniffing , or sound of a chair scooting across the floor. If it can be fixes in an update, that would be great.

Doug Rogers
04-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Nick, I'm not saying this is a huge problem. I know I can edit the midi note to get rid of noises at the end of samples. But that shouldn't really be necessary with a library of this caliber. I agree that Ethic instruments make weird noises. And a little creak or fret noise here and there can help it sound real. But a "sniff" is not an instrument noise. (Except for the cast of Stomp. :p )

It's not like I was playing back each sample key by key looking for mistakes. I heard these errors while writing using normal playing techniques. I shouldn't have to slow down my process to hunt down which note is giving me some weird phantom sniffing , or sound of a chair scooting across the floor. If it can be fixes in an update, that would be great.

If you find things like this, please send a report, with precise details, sample or patch name etc. etc to techsupport@eastwestsounds.com. We will investigate each and every report and provide an update if necessary.

- Doug

shadowbox
04-13-2005, 04:17 PM
If you find things like this, please send a report, with precise details, sample or patch name etc. etc to techsupport@eastwestsounds.com. We will investigate each and every report and provide an update if necessary.

Thanks Doug. I'll shoot an e-mail to tech support.