PDA

View Full Version : G'Day from WA

MrAlex
10-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi everybody!

My name is Alex, I am from Western Australia and I've been anticipating my purchase of EWQLSO for a while now.

I took the plunge this morning and have ordered the platinum + xp upgrade + choirs bundle and I honestly can't wait to play with this and get serious.

I've been composing since I was about 13, starting with mod trackers (the gateway drug of music composition), and nowadays I make a few dollars here and there writing music for games.

I feel attracted to EW products because of their superior quality, the rave reviews, plus I feel with these products I can spend less time worrying about the instruments sounding right, and get on with the job of actually composing the music.

Anyway, I can't wait! I'm sure I'll have a lot to learn with EWQLSO but thats exactly what I live for - a challenge :)

paulwr
10-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi everybody!

My name is Alex, I am from Western Australia and I've been anticipating my purchase of EWQLSO for a while now.

I took the plunge this morning and have ordered the platinum + xp upgrade + choirs bundle and I honestly can't wait to play with this and get serious.

I've been composing since I was about 13, starting with mod trackers (the gateway drug of music composition), and nowadays I make a few dollars here and there writing music for games.

I feel attracted to EW products because of their superior quality, the rave reviews, plus I feel with these products I can spend less time worrying about the instruments sounding right, and get on with the job of actually composing the music.

Anyway, I can't wait! I'm sure I'll have a lot to learn with EWQLSO but thats exactly what I live for - a challenge :)

Learn how to build slave computers quick! When you can load 175-200 instruments into a template (all your tracks made in your sequencer with instruments all loaded and ready to go), you can just have a ball instead of fighting technology. The slaves don't have to be what your main computer is, they can be a lot cheaper. More smaller slaves is usually more powerful than fewer bigger more powerful slaves.

Great choice of library to start with if you're wanting the big orchestral sound.

Gary Gibbons
10-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Hello Alex

Simon Cribb
10-17-2007, 01:34 AM
Hi Alex,

I'm also a EWQL beginner in WA. Am playing around with movie style themes, some rock, some orchestral, some hard to clasify. If you want to say hello Email psiman@aapt.net.au.
Did you used to work at Kosmic Sound?

regards, Simon

fongi
10-17-2007, 02:13 AM
Hey Alex and yet another Aussie, itīs great that so much music is going on downunder ! welcome. :D

MrAlex
10-17-2007, 06:48 AM
Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome :)

paulwr: Thanks for the tips, how would I start learning about setting up slave systems for ewql?

Simon: I never used to work at Kosmic Sound but when I used to live in Perth I haunted their hutton street store for months and thats where I got my babies from (by babies I mean my Alesis Monitor Two's). I'll send an email too, I'm playing around with some of the same ideas :)

fongi: thanks :)

paulwr
10-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome :)

paulwr: Thanks for the tips, how would I start learning about setting up slave systems for ewql?

fongi: thanks :)

I've always had mine built, but I have done some Google searched on the subject and gotten a lot of info that has made me feel brave. Besides just building a quiet computer here are some things I have done and tips that will point you in a direction that I know works:
1. This may be changing as Play come out for the EWQLSO, but right now Window XP Pro for your OS
2. You'll need to get audio from your slave back to your Sequencing computer. I have a friend that is a dealer for RME so I get those audio cards etc at cost. But I do highly recommend using light pipe with a an RME HDSP9652 card in the slave. I have an RME Fireface 800 at the receiving end that accepts lightpipe. The Fireface has two lightpipes IN (8 audio ch per lightpipe) so if you expand to over two slaves you need to get creative. What works is going from one slave out, and into another slave's IN. Then you can make selections in the "Matrix" of the slave you went into so that the signals are just passed along to the Sequencing computer. That way, as an example, you can have 4 audio channels from one slave, and 4 audio channels from the other slave all on one lightpipe going into the Fireface or whatever interface you have on your sequencer that accepts lightpipe. That way you can be running four slaves into your Sequencer computer at one time, and be able to control two stereo pairs of audio per slave. It's a nice 'mini' Hollywood composing system that is very effective and you don't need some giant expensive Pro Tools system or Digital board to implement it. Your budget may force you into other solutions, but these large slave systems can cause unforeseen problems with interfaces that normally work fine in smaller systems.

3. For porting your midi to the slaves, get MidiOverLan. Have your computers on a network. I use NetWare Gigabit Switch for that. Not expensive.

Don't use a cheap midi interface. It cost me untold hours trying to track down severe problems that were created using an M-Audio MidiSport! And here I was with high quality RME cards and interfaces that all have Midi connections built in! I'm just talking about your controller's midi IN to the Sequencing computer.

This gets expensive, but you can build one computer at a time. If you were in the US I could refer you to a builder. I personally did not get comfortable composing dense orchestral music until I had three slaves. Now I'm being asked to do even denser action music that adds in elec guitar, synth, and very heavy choir. I need at least one more slave now, myself, and would love to get two more. Yikes!

Anyway, hope this helps now or in the near future. Here is my composing webpage to hear examples of what can be performed direct from Midi rather than from a lot of audio tracks that take a lot of time to make/mix. Another big tip, by the way: Do most all your mastering LIVE. Apply your mastering EQ/Compression/Limiting right on your Main Outs in your sequencer. That way as you mix your midi session, your won't have much if any remixing to do. This saves a lot of time, because when you master completely separately after creating the midi, it changes your mix and if you have 75 tracks, man it takes time to go back and tweak. Make all your steps FORWARD steps if you are headed into this to be a pro. Time has got to be economized! http://www.imagesnow.net/pwr/orchestral.htm

Good luck!

Nash
10-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Two WA guys, hey I am from WA as well! What you were waiting for? WELCOME TO EAST WEST FORUM!

This is great place to be, i am sure you will love it.

Cheers,

Nash

MrAlex
10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks also for the warm welcome Nash - thats a pretty mean setup in your avi pic, what's all that equipment?

Paulwr, thanks for the detailed information, I think I have a pretty good idea how to set it all up now, I'm fairly comfortable with computer networking so I don't think that will be the problem.

Do you get latency issues with this kind of setup? At a minimum, what kind of processing power should each system have? Also, I take it that each slave will run a vst host on a unique midi channel, and you balance the patches between each slave, so say if you had 100 patches and 2 slaves, you'd load 50 on each, right?

Cheers

paulwr
10-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks also for the warm welcome Nash - thats a pretty mean setup in your avi pic, what's all that equipment?

Paulwr, thanks for the detailed information, I think I have a pretty good idea how to set it all up now, I'm fairly comfortable with computer networking so I don't think that will be the problem.

Do you get latency issues with this kind of setup? At a minimum, what kind of processing power should each system have? Also, I take it that each slave will run a vst host on a unique midi channel, and you balance the patches between each slave, so say if you had 100 patches and 2 slaves, you'd load 50 on each, right?

Cheers

There really isn't any latency in the midi over lan. It is as fast of midi as you can get.
The way things are changing, you might opt for more powerful cpu than is currently necessary. My slaves are the older D940's at 3.2GHz and even a singe processor system works good for slaves. My giga slave is just a 3.2 P4 and works just fine up to 3-4 instances of the GigaPulse convolution that I run on outgoing busses. But the moment Play comes along for the orchestra and other stuff, you may want a bit more power to use the convolution engine more and I think Play just runs better on a faster processor. For economy and still having power, maybe the lower Core 2 stuff, for $100+ extra you can even get the Q6600, probably the best value out there now, especially if you overclock.

No VST host is necessary for running the orchestra or anything else you want within Kontakt or eventually Play. Run them 'stand alone'. And in MidiOverLan you will choose which bank of Kontakt's 4 banks, and then the midi channel. That way, for Kontakt as an example, you can run 64 instruments at once. At least I do most of the time and I only have 2GB ram too, BUT I run the 3GB switch which even helps when you run lower ram. (search this forum on the 3 gig switch and LaaTiDo utility)

And yes, you definitely want to balance the load between the slaves as best you can and your licenses will allow. That is one reason the Play upgrade will be so great. For $200 total you'll be able to run four computers of play, and then all your old NI licensed stuff on separate computers as well. Very sweet. IF you don't have the stand alone Kontakt 2.0, I'm not sure what to tell you. Version 3 doesn't sound great for the orchestra at all yet. Even if you get Kontakt 2, only update to version 2.1.1.001 At least that is what I pulled back to and finally got stability. You will soon be valuing stability beyond what is latest and greatest, hence the bleeding edge.

Good luck with it all. Having all these instruments you want in a template under your fingertips at once is VERY SATISFYING!!! Plus it will show in your music quality and quantity.

MrAlex
10-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I can understand what you mean about music quality and quantity. In the past my only limit has been on the number of active channels I can edit in real time before I hit the cpu limit, when that happens it takes longer and the results suffer...

Do I need to purchase the Kontakt stand alone player? I just assumed this was all part of the package, if it's not I'll have to look into getting it... Or once the Play upgrade comes along I'd just be able to download and use that won't I?

Sorry if I come across as niave, in the past I've just loaded up a vst and away I go, but I understand that this system demands more power and technical ability than I'm used to, and your advice so far has helped me get my head around a few of the less obvious details :)

This whole concept of master / slave systems is unique to me, but I can already see the power and potential of investing in such a setup, I'm already imagining 4 towers side by side, my own little music supercomputer network - very cool :)

ray kemp
10-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Hello MrAlex.

We've met already elsewhere. I'm glad to bullshit you.

Ray

paulwr
10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
I can understand what you mean about music quality and quantity. In the past my only limit has been on the number of active channels I can edit in real time before I hit the cpu limit, when that happens it takes longer and the results suffer...

Do I need to purchase the Kontakt stand alone player? I just assumed this was all part of the package, if it's not I'll have to look into getting it... Or once the Play upgrade comes along I'd just be able to download and use that won't I?

Sorry if I come across as niave, in the past I've just loaded up a vst and away I go, but I understand that this system demands more power and technical ability than I'm used to, and your advice so far has helped me get my head around a few of the less obvious details :)

This whole concept of master / slave systems is unique to me, but I can already see the power and potential of investing in such a setup, I'm already imagining 4 towers side by side, my own little music supercomputer network - very cool :)

You'll be ok. The EWQLSO should come with the smaller player, and you can load multiple instances in your Sequencing computer. On the slaves, if you don't mind using the smaller "Kompakt" player that only loads 8 instruments at a time, you then indeed would need to get your vst host thing going in the slave. With that, I have no experience.

MrAlex
10-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey ray, nice to meet you. You know I was joking around right?

Paul, thats a load off my mind then. I would probably just use instances of FLStudio on the slaves, that seems to work well as a vst host. That would let me save projects with different instrument and filter configs for different purposes.

Anyway now I have to sit back and wait, my order has just been marked as complete so now it's just a matter of time... Of course I want to play with it right away :D

Nash
10-18-2007, 03:13 AM

NI powered Kompakt sampler is part of the package plus I think you will have free upgrade to PLAY as well. More about upgrade check FAQ section.

Well, you will be surprised when you see how huge is the library and how hungry for RAM and CPU. Once you get used to it you will love it and appreciate. Prepare for some spending money mate...
;)

MrAlex
10-18-2007, 03:55 AM
You gotta spend money to make money :)

I'm not exactly rolling in cash, but slowly and surely I'm getting a good collection of decent tools.

Nash
10-18-2007, 04:06 AM
You gotta spend money to make money :)

I'm not exactly rolling in cash, but slowly and surely I'm getting a good collection of decent tools.

Good sign, in my case I need to cool down and start making some money out of my mean gear :D

I may buy more things when I really need it, otherwise I may end up spending loads and not be able to use it.

Cheers

Nash
10-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Just another thing: In this forum you can learn a lot, people are very friendly and nice. Sometimes someone can be misunderstood but as long as you keep all positive it will be so rewarding and beautiful.

If you don’t have your own website then think about to sign up with for example: www.soundclick.com , www.myspace.com or other so we can stream or download your future master piece music.:D

MrAlex
10-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Hey nash, I have a personal website already, I'll plug it here : www.soundportfolio.com

Theres a variety of stuff on there, feel free to have a look around, not much of it is symphonic, there's a lot of dance / game style music instead.

Nash
10-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey nash, I have a personal website already, I'll plug it here : www.soundportfolio.com

Theres a variety of stuff on there, feel free to have a look around, not much of it is symphonic, there's a lot of dance / game style music instead.

Great! I will check it out soon as I get back from work today.

Cheers :)

MrAlex
10-19-2007, 03:33 AM
Cool :)

I just received notification that my order has been picked up by FedEX.... I can sense it bumping along inside a mack truck on its way to the airport :)

I guess I could have purchased from an australian store, but with the state of the US dollar I could have paid $4000AU locally, or $1400AU from the US (plus, probably, a bit of import duty when it reaches customs).

Anyway, I'm getting a bit excited here, I guess I need to calm down and figure out how I'm going to set this all up :)

Andoran
10-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Oh my gosh, the Aussie's are takin' over /ducks

Hi and welcome MrAlex. I went by your website, nicely done. Can't wait to hear what you do with the East West libraries, you'll love them.

Eddie