PDA

View Full Version : RA second attempt

rJames
07-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Here's another attempt at ethnic music from RA. Its not really ethnic music except the instruments. All of my east Indian ear training is from movies.

Kashmir (http://digitmusic.net/music/Kashmir.mp3)

IvanP
07-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Very interesting Ron :) It has the ethnic flavor and some lines have something... :)

I'm not really sure the strings should be played (or doubled) exactly as you did, but I like the result

rJames
07-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Very interesting Ron :) It has the ethnic flavor and some lines have something... :)

I'm not really sure the strings should be played exactly as you did, but I like the result

Truthfully, Ivan, the strings played themselves. That one patch with the wiggling strings has all sorts of played articulations. I would just choose one and then go, "OK what should I do now?"

I'm sure its overplayed. But I'm hoping its good enough to go on my reel. I've got to stop doing this, but I keep thinking that if I layer all this stuff then a producer or listener can tell that I could do a simpler piece. I promise myself that I'll do something simple with it later but I have so many things to do that I probably won't get back to this until a job (please, dear God, help me get a job) requires it. :)

jralbert
07-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Having learned sitar and general Indian musical style, I can say that your piece is:

a) excellently orchestrated

b) very well played on the sitar itself - the quick repeating 1/4s are a good choice, for example

c) a little more layered and percussion heavy than most Indian compositions.

That last is my only suggestion on what's otherwise a flawless creation; most of the pieces we studied in my ethnomusicology class were quite simple, and usually tied together by an underlying bansuri drone (which you could still add, if you chose to; I think it would be quite effective).

That said, very nice work all 'round.

DaveWalton
07-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Wow! Cool piece. I can see that RA is in my future (let's see... along with Platinum, Choir). I guess I don't have any problems that money can't solve. :-)

dory
07-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Good Tabla Programming

rJames
07-06-2005, 11:20 PM
After these great compliments all I can say is, "this is a great library." I did try to make it sound as realistic as I could but I have no background here. The instruments played themselves.

I started this piece 6 or more months ago. I created the first half; the strange timing (9/4 broken up into sub sections), the sitar and some of the heavier percussion. After Ra's arrival, I decided to finish it. The Indian violins just played right into it.

And the tablas were pretty straight forward too. I just tried to follow this strange time signature that I had set up.

tchoyy
07-08-2005, 04:51 AM
Very, very, very, very nice work !

I truly want RA, it's sounds very very good

willmusser
07-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Ron,

Really cool demo... you definately nailed the Indian sound. RA is an awesome library.

Will

FilmComposerZ
07-09-2005, 11:16 PM
R

Excellent...worthy to be on the reel...I just bought RA also and was finally able to write one piece.

I liked your comment:

"Truthfully, Ivan, the strings played themselves. That one patch with the wiggling strings has all sorts of played articulations. I would just choose one and then go, "OK what should I do now?"

Cool!!!

Pablo