PDA

View Full Version : Reflections

anilkamath
07-08-2005, 07:13 AM
A work in progress:

Reflections (http://www.kamath.demon.co.uk/sounds/GOLDReflections5.mp3)

I'm using just GOLD and the piano from SILVER. Feel free to give any constructive comments/critisisms. I'm currently trying to decide how to end the piece. So far I have two ideas:

A : gradually build up the timbre using the already established motifs finally to a bombastic percussive section that suddenly dies away back to the intial vibes + piano texture again. i'm worried this isn't in keeping with the overall feel of the rest of the piece.

B : Continue developing more themes, perhaps erring away from the piano for a bit, then return to the first melody, a sort of ABA structure.

I guess the decision will have to be based on whether i see this piece as a piece of program music/film score excerpt, or if i want it to be a self contained piece. What do you guys think?

Cheers

Anil

exstreme
07-08-2005, 08:48 AM
i like your work,the piano play is verry nice and you have also a nice theme :)

only in the first minuut when you play the piano the strings that pop-up blow the pianio away and are to predominate in my opinion :rolleyes:

but is a verry good song and a nice theme for the village,six sence,unbreakable ;)

svk

NetHead
07-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Great piece you have there! This one is on my watch list... I can't wait to find out how you will end this one.

I kinda agree with exstreme on the strings bit. OK, they don't blow the piano completely away, but I do think they could be softer in the mix.

Keep it up!

lux
07-10-2005, 07:18 AM
The themes are very nice Anil and overall feeling is quite effective to me.

The orchestration developement could be improved in certain parts, expecially at 0.37 to 0.56 when it comes confused to my ears.
When using cellos staccs I would leave the original pattern when melody on vios come in, more breathly.
More in general I suggest you to look at strings balancement when doing sustain notes, I do often opening all strings tracks together on piano roll to see balancement between parts.
Another things that I see is the "sucking effect" on strings, if you overlap more te notes you will have more flowing effect.

As always personal thoughts.

keep on it, it deserves imho

Luca

anilkamath
07-11-2005, 03:08 AM
Thanks a lot for your comments!

Exstreme/NetHead:

I see what you mean about levels in the opening - i think i got a little too absorbed in and forgot to listen to it with a fresh ear before mixing. The idea was for the piano to shift out of focus to reveal the more expansive string sound during the swell at 0:37, but i think i'm coming to your viewpoint now.

Lux:

The orchestration developement could be improved in certain parts, expecially at 0.37 to 0.56 when it comes confused to my ears.
When using cellos staccs I would leave the original pattern when melody on vios come in, more breathly.
More in general I suggest you to look at strings balancement when doing sustain notes, I do often opening all strings tracks together on piano roll to see balancement between parts.
Another things that I see is the "sucking effect" on strings, if you overlap more te notes you will have more flowing effect.
Luca

Thanks for the constructive crit - could you perhaps expand on what you mean by string balancing?

I'm finding it pretty hard to do a good string arrangement, especially on smooth legato lines (like you say, the sucking effect is hard to overcome since if you overlap notes too much they sound more synthetic). Also, rather worryingly, I never use the viola, partly due to lack of memory but mainly because I usually sketch parts down using 11vn patches and usually these stay as the final parts. Is this an especially bad thing to do, given i don't see the piece ever being played by a real orchestra?

Cheers

Anil