PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Texas

bnunn
11-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Hello,

My name is Bob. I am the tech director for a church in Texas. We have a church orchestra/band. It consists of flutes, french horns, trumpets, saxaphones, one cello, one string bass, kettle drums, and various keyboards, organs, drums, etc.

We do gospel music. We're lively, upbeat and put worship and soul into what we do. Sometimes, we do some orchestra type music that requires a full symphonic string sound. My wife playes a keyboard (sorry, I don't remember what brand) that produces a "string" sound. But, this keyboard is at least 15-20 years old. It does have MIDI I/O.

My knowledge level about MIDI, Plug-ins, and virtual instruments is ZERO. But, I'm a quick learner and I like the sounds I'm hearing from the demo in the EWQLSO Platinum Bundle. I am competent with computer equipment but I am not a programmer nor do I want to be.

If I had our church to purchase this software, how would I use it? I do not know ANYTHING about this. Can it be used live? We have live cantata's and would like to have a full, symphonic string sound. Should we purchase a new keyboard for this purpose?

We recently purchased Digidesign's Venue mixing console and ProTools HD3. Both use Plug-ins and I'm trying to learn more about that.

Sorry to sound so ignorant, but one has to start somewhere.

sample: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVRh9Elmvj0

Regards,

Bob

Raphael
11-27-2007, 08:43 AM
We have a church orchestra/band. It consists of flutes, french horns, trumpets, saxaphones, one cello, one string bass, kettle drums, and various keyboards, organs, drums, etc.
Bob

Why to use real instruments in times we have EWQLSO?:D:D:D:D

Welcome, Bob!

I never used EW as a real time instrument. But I think it should be possible. (But you will only be able to play one instrument at the same time and only the specific articulation you choosed.) Then you have to check how strong your PC is. If he's not the best one, there could be problems when you play many keys together. In this case, (if you have bad luck)your PC produces more noise and mincemeat-sound than music.

(There is someone to correct me if I'm wrong. I have written only in theory!)

Greetings, Raphael

DallasComposer
11-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Welcome aboard Bob (good 'ole Texan name),

I'm in Texas too and yes you guessed it, I'm in Dallas. :p

Don't know where you are in Texas but if there is any way I can help i.e.
come out to your church, help install, show how to use etc. send me an email or message in here.

Sounds like you may really only need Gold if this is for performing in the church only and yes you can use it live but will need to make sure you have a good computer and sound/midi card.

Let me know if there is any way I can help, I'm sure many others here will answer your questions also.

dh

fongi
11-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi Bob, welcome and greetings from Germany I really enjoyed the song on "You Tube" really great it sounds like you guys are having a great time over there ! wow what a lot of vibrato that lead singer has! Iīm still shaking, Donīt mess with Texas right ! :D :D :D Chris

bnunn
11-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Wow - thanks guys for the quick replies. Switerland is a long way from Texas. Your comment about EWQLSO makes me think it must be a pretty good piece of software. I think the challenge is that we're wanting to use it in a live venue. And, I can guarantee you that my wife does not want a computer sitting next to her while she tries to play a keyboard.

Dewey, I've listened to some of your samples and they sound awesome. If I could find a keyboard that has those viola sounds you're producing, that would be way cool.

By the way, I live and go to church in Sherman, Texas, but my "real" job is located right here in Dallas, just off of LBJ & Jupiter.

DallasComposer
11-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Dewey, I've listened to some of your samples and they sound awesome. If I could find a keyboard that has those viola sounds you're producing, that would be way cool.

By the way, I live and go to church in Sherman, Texas, but my "real" job is located right here in Dallas, just off of LBJ & Jupiter.

Thanks Bob, it's not a keyboard, I use EWQLSO - Platinum - it rocks!