PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon A Midnight Dreary

Lerue
07-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Once Upon a Midnight Dreary (http://www.theatrikil.com/Sounds/Once%20upon%20a%20Midnight%20Dreary.mp3)

This piece was inspired by Edgar Alan Poe's Immortal Poem, 'The Raven' And I attempted to capture the atmosphere of that evenings peculiar circumstances.

The Composition was done fully in EWQL SO Gold.

I hope you enjoy, I have another in the works Inspired by Antonio Vivaldi that will hopefully be mastered soon.

Enjoy

Le' rue

luima
07-11-2005, 02:58 AM
I liked it, especially the textures near the end, but then, the end comes too soon, when you are expecting to be developed further.
You got the atmosphere of Poe´s torment, especially in the second half, after the pizzicato, where the rithmic changes are very interesting, and the orchestration very original.
Nice work but I,d like it a bit longer with a more elaborated ending.

anilkamath
07-11-2005, 04:20 AM
Fantastic piece, some really nice creepy dissonance - I especially like the pizzicato section and the section starting at 2:18, the cello sounds especially convincing here.

The only issue I can think of, and it's nothing to do with your composition/orchestration, would be that the fast strings (probably an Up/Down patch) sound too 'close'. I'm not sure how you'd go about adressing this, perhaps that's where the strengths of Platinum come into their own.

I also agree that it would be great to see the piece extended.

Cheers

Anil

jaymo1978
07-11-2005, 10:48 AM
I just listened to your demo and really enjoyed it. Im quite new to the world of EWGold SO and was wondering how you got the violin crescendo at the start? Is that somewhere within the program or something you did yourself. Id love to know how this is done. HELP ME
thanks
Jaymo :)

CeXzer
07-11-2005, 12:07 PM
it's the f18v clstr & air or the vcs fx, don't remember which one I heard, but it's one of those.

Lerue
07-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Thank you for the responses so far everyone

luima & anilkamath; Thanks for your thoughts, and you are right, it is cut off before another phase of development could begin. Eventually I will continue working on the piece to extend it to a full length piece, but this is the first movement in it's entirety.

Right now I have myself on a strict schedule of one piece per week composing, and 'Once upon...' was on it's seventh day, and so had to be completed so that I could move on.

jaymo1978;CeXzer was right, the program was f18v clstr & air.

Thanks again for your thoughts

Le' rue

Waywyn
07-12-2005, 01:09 AM
i think the piece has way too much compressor/limiting on it.

at the beginning when it is starting to get really loud, almost the sound gets distorted and it sounds that some samples just fall apart like crumbling sand.

Lerue
07-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Waywyn

Thank you for the critique, it is a large part of the reason I am posting my material on here, to see what other composers think when they listen to my material. And I believe you are right, after listening to the piece and playing with some compression presets, I found that I was compressing wrong, boosting the end signal up by as much as 3+Db. Thank you for pointing out the compression problem.

I have utilized many of your suggestions, and re-mixed the piece ( I also just recieved the 3.0 Update for Cubase, so it gave me another reason to play around in that playground!). The new Mix has replaced the old, and is a smaller file size to boot.

Thanks again

Le' rue