PDA

View Full Version : Babe

Babe
12-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Is short for StuBabe, a moniker I had since high school.

A long long time ago, back in the early 70's, I attended the SFCM majoring in composition and conducting, but never graduated. Clarinet is my instrument. I composed my last piece back in 1975 at the ripe old age of 23 except for a march I wrote in 1979. I played and conducted through the early 80's, but not as a pro. I gave up playing for a few years and stared again in the mid 80's. Haven't played since 88. I did arrange a few charts for a local jazz band back in 97.

When the first Ad Lib sound card came out, I believe in 1989, I started in the virtual music world programming the music I wrote years before. The Ad Lib card came out before the Sound Blaster and had the ability to add your own music through it's own, primitive sequencer. The SB didn't have this ability.

Through the ensuing years, I would work now and then putting my works in the computer. Didn't do much from the late 90's to a few months ago when I decided to give it another go. The progress made in these years was amazing. No more having the polyphony limited to the hardware. Sample libraries were, well, a different world from soundfonts. I was again excited. GPO was my first library and shortly after, I bought Kontack 2. I completed one of my works which was a song I wrote in 1974 and then orchestrated it sans voice. Here's a link:

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=17083

I've been working on another orchestral piece of mine over the past few months and it has been slow going. Spending too much time trying to get the right articulations and balance. I looked into getting another library and last week, purchased Gold XP. I'm glad I did. I'd like to redo the song in Gold to hear the difference which I think will be considerable. But first, I want to continue working on some of my other works.

It's good be on forums such as this with the people who do this for a living, they offer some good advice. Hope I can keep up with them.

DallasComposer
12-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Hey Babe,
(man that sounds really wierd to say to someone other than my wife) :p

Welcome aboard!

Glad to have you here, so SFCM huh? did you ever have John Adams as your teacher?
(http://earbox.com/)
Wasn't he teaching there back then?
He's one of my favs!

I love Northern California, I was out there back in late 70's/early 80's in Santa Cruz
and use to hang out at the Emu house while they were making Emulators back then
yes, we have come a long, long way since then.

Any hoot, great place here and great products.

Babe
12-04-2007, 05:29 PM
John Adams started the semester after I left. I did get to meet him, albeit breifly.

fongi
12-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Welcome and have fun !

Nash
01-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Hello and Welcome!