PDA

View Full Version : A dream with six dimensions

Dreamcube017
12-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey everyone! I can finally post! YAY!!

Well I'm new here. I'm 19 and am in college studying for sound engineering and computer networking. I currently don't have anything from the site yet because I hav to wait until the end of the week. But I've been coming here all the time 'cause I really can't wait to get it. I'm planning on getting the EW/QL Bundle. I want the orchestral thing too but $795 is all I can toss out right now because if I get anything else I won't have money for books and somehow my mom'll find out and give me an enourmous lecture on how you shouldn't spend all your money on one thing. :p Well anyhow, it's great to finally be here.

I'm planning on useing this inside FL Studio. for the most part. I mainly make electronic and video gamish type music but I want to do some orchestral and more realistic sounding stuff as well. Plus I found myself stuck when it comes to finding real sounds so I decided I'd go with this.

I'm kind of confused at how the articulations would work... or even what they really mean. I thought some of them just happen when you play a cirtain way but it sounds like they're controlled by knobs or something... I don't really know... well I dont' think I have to worry about that for right now but just curious.

Gedren
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi and welcome! :)

Lol yeah, music software is what you ready to spend lots of your money for. :D And there are constantly new cool thing appearing. Real trap!

I hope you will get your EWQL software soon. :)

Raphael
12-13-2007, 08:43 AM
I want the orchestral thing too but $795 is all I can toss out right now because if I get anything else I won't have money for books and somehow my mom'll find out and give me an enourmous lecture on how you shouldn't spend all your money on one thing. :p

Hi Colleague
:D I know this situation... There is only one way to solve this problem: you must learn to lie;)
Cheers, Raphael

MrAlex
12-13-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm kind of confused at how the articulations would work... or even what they really mean. I thought some of them just happen when you play a cirtain way but it sounds like they're controlled by knobs or something... I don't really know... well I dont' think I have to worry about that for right now but just curious.

Welcome to the site Dreamcube

Articulations are just different ways of playing an instrument... Say you can bow a cello with long, smooth strokes (thats one articulation), or you can play hard and fast (another articulation) or if you want, you could pluck the string (yet another).

If you listen closely to a live recording of an instrument, you will notice that each note has a different feel. Some notes are hard and distinct, others softer and flowing into each other, and so on, and this gives music its expressions (instead of being DA DA DA DA DA it can go Daa DA da DAaaadaaa DA).

Hope that makes sense... Anyway to use an articulation in FL you will need more than one channel, each channel has a different articulation of the same instrument, and you write your notes over the seperate channels to build the melody for the single instrument.

Clear as mud? :D

Anyway, welcome and good luck!

fongi
12-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey Dreamcube welcome and have fun !

Nash
01-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah! Welcome and enjoy!