PDA

View Full Version : What exactly happened at northern sounds?

Bobby
04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi all. I first want to start off by saying thank you to so many people. As someone new to the world of samples, you all have helped me make my music come to life. So thank you all.
Now on to the topic at hand.

What the heck happned over at norther sounds. I was on a few days ago and i read a post about will the archives be closing after 2 weeks. Then after checking this site, i see there is fourm and i see some grumblings about somthign that happned over at ns, What happned?

Is this all cuase there was a mention of a group buy for platinum, is this why ew is leaving ns?
I liked ns cause i could read about all the big names and get information from lots of users from around the world. Iam just wondering if this is all cuase sombody over there got upset about a group buy, if it is i think its pretty weak. by ew shutting down that heurts more people than most would think. I know people who foudn out about ew just from the fourm, well hell i found about ew from that ns site, if it were not for them i would have never found about about you guys.

I would just like to know exactly what happend, if it was just cause of the group buy thing or what? And who gives a shit if you want to promote a group buy, you were sponsring the board were you not? I mean would nick and doug have a heart attack if gary advertised a group buy for the GPO and the garritan strings set? I would be highly surprised if nick and doug would freak out.

I have vsl product and garys stuff and ew stuff i liek them all for differnt reasons, i think its great that there are so many makes of this stuff. Each new product from each company pushes the other companys and i think that is good.

I recently saw a post for a new VI magazine and saw that doug said good luck to him, i mean that is a magazine that will do reviews on ew's stuff. I mean what if and this is JUST A WHAT IF, they reviewd a ew product and they said it was not very good, and sai dit was a waste of money, would doug and nick want the magazine to fail? I dont think so. No i dont ever think you woudl make somthing that woudl be so bad jsut using it as an example.

I must say that i enjoy hearing from everybody from this camp here, and the gpo camp and well everybody, we are all here for one reason , music.

You there is a line from a movie that says " Only love and music are forever" Well if we did not love music we would not be here, we would not be buying these products, we would not be say how great they are, or read about sombody saying i dont like this or that.

Well i jsut wanted to let everybody know how i felt, and hopefully to get some answers from doug and nick. And all of you. I am sorry in advance if this post has botherd anybody, and nick and doug i hiope you take this letter as a complement to all of your fans, with out your tools we could never make are music come to life.

Bobby

Doug Rogers
04-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Well i just wanted to let everybody know how i felt, and hopefully to get some answers from doug and nick. And all of you. I am sorry in advance if this post has bothered anybody, and nick and doug i hope you take this letter as a complement to all of your fans, with out your tools we could never make are music come to life.

Bobby

We have an issue with a new rule, that's all, so we decided it was time to have our own forum. We discussed staying there as well but we simply don't have the time to be in both places, so we will shut down our section of that forum at the end of this month.

- Doug

synergy543
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
So Doug, what happens to all of the history about EWQLSO?
Is there a way to keep this and bring it over here?
Much of it is very useful.

madfiddler
04-14-2005, 06:24 AM
There must be some way of exporting the EW part of the NS database and merging it in to this VB install, but I doubt it would be particularly easy.

Doug Rogers
04-14-2005, 08:04 AM
So Doug, what happens to all of the history about EWQLSO?
Is there a way to keep this and bring it over here?
Much of it is very useful.

It is our hope NS will keep an archive that reflects what was contributed by us and our users over the years, but ultimately it's their decision.

- Doug

Mike Greene
04-14-2005, 12:10 PM
. . . but ultimately it's their decision.

- Doug
And they make it very clear, over and over again, that it's THEIR decision. :rolleyes:

- Mike Greene

synergy543
04-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Well with EWQLSO Pro upcoming, I guess this is a good chance to cover some of those topics again as well as to move beyond into new territory.

evaclear
04-15-2005, 05:25 AM
Well with EWQLSO Pro upcoming, I guess this is a good chance to cover some of those topics again as well as to move beyond into new territory.

When? :confused:

synergy543
04-15-2005, 12:24 PM
When? :confused:
I meant that now that there are many new Gold and Platinum users, each of us can share our experiences as we go and revisit many of the subjects that were discussed when EWQLSO first came out as well as of course discussing new issues.

If you were wondering when EWQLSO Pro is coming out, its currently scheduled for May 31st:

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-155PRO

AndyFinkenstadt
05-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Well, at the stroke of midnight on the 1st of May, the Northern Sounds EWQL forums became inaccessible.

neoTypic
05-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Well, at the stroke of midnight on the 1st of May, the Northern Sounds EWQL forums became inaccessible.

Bummer. :(

Money always seems to bring out the worst in people. Such is life I'm afraid.

Doug Rogers
05-01-2005, 09:33 AM
It was our decision to leave. I asked them (as did others) to preserve the years of posts in our forum in an archive for the benefit of their members, but they decided not to.

So be it, we will just have to move on and rebuild the information here.

We have close to 500 registered members and many thousands of visitors already at this forum in just a few weeks, so we're confident you will find this an interesting and informative place in the future.

We intend to expand the categories also to include all discussion about sample libraries and virtual instruments, and will invite special guests for question and answer sessions periodically (put in your requests).

More to come...

- Doug

Frederick
05-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah Doug I was quite upset that they chose not to archive all that great information. A bit like burning books if you ask me.

Personally I like the forum here better - commercial and professional but inviting. I'm really looking forward to your upcoming Symphonic Choir library and for many successful years for East West.

Word of mouth travels fast. Here's my hope that everyone here is sure to tell their friends where the new East West forum is!

Best,

Frederick Russ

Doug Rogers
05-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Yeah Doug I was quite upset that they chose not to archive all that great information. A bit like burning books if you ask me.

Personally I like the forum here better - commercial and professional but inviting. I'm really looking forward to your upcoming Symphonic Choir library and for many successful years for East West.

Word of mouth travels fast. Here's my hope that everyone here is sure to tell their friends where the new East West forum is!

Best,

Frederick Russ

Btw everyone, Frederick's forum http://www.vi-control.net/forum/forum.php is also a great forum that we visit.

- Doug

c.k
05-01-2005, 10:10 AM

Word!

IMHO destroying the Knowledge Base is THE act of vandalism. :mad:

ck

Stefan Podell
05-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Vandalism? No doubt.

I'm sure a number of us have our own personal archives of the old forum. But I imagine that it wouldn't be terribly legal to distribute those.

lux
05-01-2005, 12:22 PM
it was deleted also last Doug's salute post. Unbelievable.

synergy543
05-01-2005, 01:16 PM
What a tragedy and diservice to NS members. Certainly EWQLSO users were large contributors to the quality of discussions on NS so this total EWQLSO "cleansing" has damaged NS severely and left it very handicapped.

They used to even archive banned users comments, so to wipe out the entire history of EWQLSO they must have been driven by vindictive anger.

I'm surprised this doesn't stir up fear among the Garritan and SI boards and other developers. NS is a destructive ticking time bomb.

So very sad indeed.

Gregory D. Moore

Lee Blaske
05-01-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm amazed that the NS owners are being so petty about things. I wonder if they'll put up filters that will remove names of EW products, etc. Seeing what's happened so far, I wouldn't put it past them.

Hmmm... Just out of curiosity, can we say Yanni here?

Considering what's happened, it'll be interesting to see if EW buys any more banner space over at NS. If I were them, I sure wouldn't.

Lee Blaske

AndyFinkenstadt
05-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Would east west buy banner space at Northern Sounds? I would certainly hope so, if it makes good business sense. Letting emotion run your business is a bit risky. :)

I'm not entirely sure that the knowledge-store at northern sounds is gone, deleted, kaput, zorched, or whatever; but it for sure is inaccessible to Joe Spud Users such as ourselves.

dcoscina
05-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I terminated my profile there a while back mostly because of the whole thing with East West...not to mention the inconsistencies in the treatment of posters. Some seemed to have free reign to insult people without being banned while others sneezed and were turfed. I chose a reasonably eloquent way of signing off although I really wanted to tell PapChalk to shove his website up his a**.

synergy543
05-01-2005, 11:27 PM
A bit like burning books if you ask me
Frederick Russ

This sums it all!

Great comment Frederick!

Sean R. Beeson
05-01-2005, 11:57 PM
You know what is so nice about this forum? There is no word censoring. I don't have to worry about a post being deleted! This is true freedom!

Watch this

Ass :eek:

See. Look!!! It wasn't deleted! Cool huh?
Okay, I have abused my freedom, I won't abuse it again, just that one time. :p

Beeson :D

p.s. I love all of the faces. I never felt at liberty to use them at NS.

awpmusic
05-02-2005, 06:14 AM
If you use the search facility at Northern Sounds you can find messages on the old EWQL forum, so it's still there somewhere.

Journeyman
05-02-2005, 08:15 AM
So be it, we will just have to move on and rebuild the information here.

That being the case, I think the "best revenge" would be be for those of you who have their own personal archives of EWQL tips and hints to post them in the "Tips and Helpful Hints" area of this Forum. Why not save what we can?
I'm sure a number of us have our own personal archives of the old forum. But I imagine that it wouldn't be terribly legal to distribute those.
Why? Text is text, isn't it?. I encourage anyone that has any of that old data to make it available here.

AndyFinkenstadt
05-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Text is text, isn't it?.

Yes, but Expressed Text is copyrighted by the person making the expression; northern sounds arguably owns a compilation copyright on the collection as a whole, but the individual authors for sure own their own words.

Thus, re-posting something here written by someone else, while best-intentioned, could be a snakes nest of problems.

Posting your own tips here is of course perfectly reasonable.

Doug Rogers
05-02-2005, 11:09 AM
I really don't want anything that was previously posted at NS re-posted here.

You can rewrite any 'Tips and Tricks' you have in the 'Helpful Hints' section here, that avoids any potential legal problems.

- Doug

Journeyman
05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Doug & Andy,

Thanks for the clarification. It's not my intention to stir up trouble. And I encourage everyone to indeed post their own tips and hints. FWIW, now that the group buys have brought an enlarged customer base into the fold, I'm sure that there will be lots of new questions and answers in the near future.

jackn2mpu
05-02-2005, 12:01 PM
If you use the search facility at Northern Sounds you can find messages on the old EWQL forum, so it's still there somewhere.
Oh?
I tried to do a search using the user's name (my own), and nothing came up in the now defunct East West forum.

Stefan Podell
05-02-2005, 12:44 PM
While Papa may have deleted the E/W forums, he still has all of your other posts. So you might say he's still using you, while he's terminated your use of him. To truely do unto others, you'd have to delete all of your posts. If eveybody did to Papa what he did to E/W, his archives would shrink and become about as useful as the deleted E/W forums. I can't believe I'm even thinking like this, but what happened at NS just seems wrong.

Neat idea. I only ever posted like 180 times, though. I'd love to see someone with a couple of thousand posts pull that off (where's the emoticon for "evil grin"? :p)

neoTypic
05-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I won't be deleting the hundreds of posts I've made over there for the simple reason that they might help someone. Spite isn't a pretty thing especially when you're hurting noninvolved participants.

Blazinghammer
05-02-2005, 11:29 PM
I won't be deleting the hundreds of posts I've made over there for the simple reason that they might help someone. Spite isn't a pretty thing especially when you're hurting noninvolved participants.
I like your spirit, nT!

Blessings,

Stefan Podell
05-03-2005, 12:10 AM

Thanks. I feel much better now.

neoTypic
05-03-2005, 02:49 AM
More than welcome, and thanks to the two of you as well. :o

Frederick
05-03-2005, 08:26 PM
LOL - it appears that my enthusiasm to support East West's move and to request an archive be kept of EW's excellent contributions to the sample community was met by banning me from Northern Sounds!?! Nice move NS. I would do it again because EW didn't deserve that kind of treatment - besides now with EW & VI my forum plate is filled, thank you :)

Frederick Russ

dcoscina
05-03-2005, 08:34 PM
LOL - it appears that my enthusiasm to support East West's move and to request an archive be kept of EW's excellent contributions to the sample community was met by banning me from Northern Sounds!?! Nice move NS. I would do it again because EW didn't deserve that kind of treatment - besides now with EW & VI my forum plate is filled, thank you :)

Frederick Russ

Are you serious Frederick? You know, I wish things like this didn't boil my blood so much but really, what is happening over at NS seems a little Nazi-esque. What happened to freedom of speech? I think our forefathers would be shaking their collective heads if they were to see how things have developed.....

On a good note, this site/forum is GREAT as is yours Frederick. I have no regrets in liberating myself from NS except maybe that I was too polite about it.

LHall
05-03-2005, 09:22 PM
What happened to freedom of speech? I think our forefathers would be shaking their collective heads if they were to see how things have developed.....

Freedom of speech is exactly why NS is free to do whatever they want within the law at their privately owned forum. Freedom of speech prohibits the government from censoring the opinions of her people. It does not prohibit private businesses from conducting their business as they see fit nor does it force private business to publish opinions with which they may disagree. If NS were a government-sponsered site, we'd have an entirely different issue.

Doug disagreed with the way things were handled at NS, so freedom of speech allows him to start his own forum.

Personally, I think our founding fathers would be proud.

My 2 and only cents

dcoscina
05-03-2005, 09:28 PM
LHall, yes, you make good points. I guess my frustration lies with the fact that I always though musicians were more tolerant or open-minded toward other opinions. Whatever the case may be, this forum is a great one! And it's great to see so many from NS on this site.

Bernard
05-03-2005, 09:51 PM

Frederick Russ

Keep your energy to compose, Frederick, NS doesn't deserve your great presence. The community will move of it even towards the respectable forums open to others.

Bernard asselin

Lee Blaske
05-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Well, it seems as if the NS folks have moved on. Their current focus seems to be to vigilantly search and destroy any mention by forum members of the Larry Seyer Drums group buy going on at the moment. I assume the reason is that a banner ad has not been purchased.

I understand the need for the NS crew to make money, but things seem to be getting pretty extreme. If the censorship gets too out of hand, it's not going to be a very welcoming place for people to hang out. What use will NS be if participants can only discuss products currently being advertised? I can understand them taking a dim view of Larry Seyer pimping his own products without running advertising, but other forum members? Commerce can really get in the way of having an open forum. It's a delicate balance. If the whole point of the site is selling banner ads, I don't think I'm going to frequent it very often.

I think it's unfortunate, because there was a real community functioning over there for quite some time. It's sad to see things unraveling so quickly. It's almost like Camelot.

Lee Blaske

JonFairhurst
05-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Well, it seems as if the NS folks have moved on. Their current focus seems to be to vigilantly search and destroy any mention by forum members of the Larry Seyer Drums group buy going on at the moment. I assume the reason is that a banner ad has not been purchased...

Larry's banners are running, but apparently it's an extra charge to run a group buy. The banner links to Larry's site, but Tascam sells the lib and manages the group buy. Whatever, they're not paying for the group buy, so NSS doesn't allow postings about it.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, though I would like to see Larry's group buy succeed. I'll buy at the lower price, but not at the upper.

-JF

STEELHED
05-11-2005, 04:52 PM
On the Archive subject... If EW was paying to have the forum at NS, wouldn't the archives be considered EW's intellectual property?

AndyFinkenstadt
05-11-2005, 05:17 PM
It depends entirely on the agreement, it could be that NSS considers the payment to be a service fee and says nothing about ownership (compilation copyright) of the aggregate content.

Either way, the original authors of the content own their own words, and could have a defensible position that they would expect their content to stay on NSS.

Doug Rogers
05-11-2005, 05:25 PM
We don't want to act like NS, closing every thread they don't like, but we don't want to give them any more publicity either, so we're closing this and the other NS thread.

It's time to discuss more positive subjects.

- Doug