PDA

View Full Version : Abit A8N and PCI-Express?

Steve Karl
04-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I hope this isn't too off topic. I'm definately motivated by my need to use Gold.

I'm really thinking of getting this combo and wanted to see if anyone can comment on it?
Thanks.

Socket 939 Athlon 64 4000+
Abit "AN8" NVIDIA nForce4, For AMD Socket 939
2 gig ram (from kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/2G)
Nexus 400w Power Supply http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/NX-4090.html

I'm leaning in this direction for the Video card. ASUS ATI RADEON X300
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-518&depa=1

...but I'm really not convinced with the Video choice.
Any one using PCI-Express Video card ... and what do you like?

TIA

Steve

shadowbox
04-14-2005, 04:02 PM
I am using it and its worked fine. I don't have any issues with it. I chose it because I needed a PCI-Express card for my motherboard and wanted a DVI input. I figured ASUS was a good choice since they also made my motherboard. But I don't know much about this stuff. This was the first PC I built.

Steve Karl
04-14-2005, 05:18 PM
I am using it and its worked fine. I don't have any issues with it. I chose it because I needed a PCI-Express card for my motherboard and wanted a DVI input. I figured ASUS was a good choice since they also made my motherboard. But I don't know much about this stuff. This was the first PC I built.

Thank you.

My package has changed a bit now, but it's good to know the asus cards are ok.
I'm going with the MSI Neo Platinum 2 nForce3 chip
so I'm back to AGP.

Steve

Scott Cairns
04-14-2005, 06:35 PM
My suggestion would be to at least go for a fanless card (like the first one you chose).

I have a Matrox P650, dual dvi outputs and passive (quiet) cooling.

Steve Karl
04-15-2005, 04:40 AM
My suggestion would be to at least go for a fanless card (like the first one you chose).

I have a Matrox P650, dual dvi outputs and passive (quiet) cooling.

Hi,

Yes. Got a fanless ATI card.
I'm avoiding pci-e because it gives priority to the pci bus and my audio cards are pci legacy. There is a lot of talk that there may be issues until pci-e audio cards are available.

Steve