PDA

View Full Version : Steel Flying Machines

Sean R. Beeson
07-24-2005, 11:53 AM
This is my newest piece, and was written completely on one computer using platinum orchestra only. This is the second movement of a larger suite of music inspired by an imaginary/book world of dwarves that have discovered how to create large, steel, flying machines :). ( I guess you could call them blimps?) Thanks for your ears!

http://www.seanbeeson.com/Steel%20Flying%20Machines.mp3

Sean Beeson

www.seanbeeson.com

tchoyy
07-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Just a word : Wow

Sean R. Beeson
07-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks. The biggest issue I ran into was streaming all of my stuff off of my system drive :) I had 2 instances of strings full, 2 of percussion full, 2 brass full, and 1 woodwinds, and up until the last two instruments of WW's, I was getting zero dropouts :).

Sean

biggestmuff
07-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks. The biggest issue I ran into was streaming all of my stuff off of my system drive :) I had 2 instances of strings full, 2 of percussion full, 2 brass full, and 1 woodwinds, and up until the last two instruments of WW's, I was getting zero dropouts :).

Sean

that's impressive, Sean. what are your system specs?

Downloading it now and I'll listen to it later. I'm in the middle of some Zimmer stuff.

Sean R. Beeson
07-24-2005, 12:28 PM
G5 Dual 2.7, one hard drive for all of these samples. It is also my internal drive. I just upgraded to 3.5 gigs of ram. Used DP 4.52 to sequence. I used the kompakt players also, and they can't even utilize dual processors.

Sean

lovelysilence
07-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Is that through the transintl.com site you bought the memory, Sean?
If so, are you happy with it? I must say it's quite impressive the amount of instruments you load.
I am downloading the song now and will give my opinion, if that's ok with you of course, later.

Sean R. Beeson
07-24-2005, 01:27 PM
I bought my ram off of www.pricewatch.com, and I have been very happy with it so far. It was only 80$ for a 1 gig stick of apple certified ram. I guess only time will be able to tell if the ram holds out.

Sean

lovelysilence
07-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Another great piece you have there. Very nice composition and arrangement and the sound is very good too.
Only remark : i found the strings to loud in the fast part, after the elegio introduction (which was very good by the way). Also those strings sound a little synthy, and need more dynamics in my opinion. That way the listener will have a greater feeling of space, so that the whirling background instruments come through in a better way and give more of that emotion of excitement. An emotion i would indeed experience if i but were a dwarf about to discover a flying machina of steel.

But that's just my two cents as ever.

Great work and looking to hear more from you again.

(Hope your HD will hold out :) )

lovelysilence
07-24-2005, 01:52 PM
By the way, that is indeed a great price for Apple RAM ;)

AndyFinkenstadt
07-24-2005, 05:09 PM
...world of dwarves that have discovered how to create large, steel, flying machines...

Sounds like our game! LOL!

http://www.play.net/hj/

The gearsmiths. And their stuff.

ChrisE
07-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Cool piece. Very impressive sound, and the amount of instances you have running really tells me i need to upgrade. I've always been a PC man, but i have been having serious thoughts about getting a mac, but then i keep thinking it will be better to upgrade to 64bit windows.

Platinum really does sound great, and is another must buy library for when i have the money. The piece reminds me slightly of a piece i did once, that jumped back and forth from tonic to its tritone. Gives a great magical feel to a piece.

Sean R. Beeson
07-24-2005, 07:02 PM
The beauty of macs are their efficiency. I always thought macs were expensive and lacked software, but I have been overly happy with my mac, and the stability of the system is great.

Sean

luima
07-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Nice music Sean. Every time I hear your songs I wish to have Platinum, you get a cool sound out of it.

fourthage
07-25-2005, 02:23 AM
Really, really good, those flute glisses are amazing and the second half of the theme sounds a bit like ET (3:11) but still amazing and the intro sounds really realistic.

fitchmicah
07-27-2005, 09:15 AM
This is very good; the only thing I can say would be that you should try to add more dynamic articulation, especially with the strings. I hear that you have note velocities sorted out most places, but I would say try to keyswitch more!

Micah

PS:

Dear Sean,
I am jealous of your RAM.

Sean R. Beeson
07-27-2005, 10:04 AM
For the melodic string line during the piece, I fought over which articulation/instrumentation to use. I ended up using the 18 Violins Hard Sus Vib, which I think didn't fit that section as well as maybe another articulation.

Sean

Daigohji
08-01-2005, 02:14 PM
those flute glisses are amazing and the second half of the theme sounds a bit like ET (3:11)

Yeah, I noticed that too. On the other hand @_@ blimey, that was good! It just screams 'age of exploration' at you. It's got the kind of lively energy that pervaded Kenji Kawai's score for the aerial adventure Porco Rosso.

Excellent work on the brass in particular, and the strings were mostly great, though a few of the early note releases sounded artificial (surprising in Platinum, maybe you were pushing your system a bit too hard?).

I really need to start learning more about music theory so I can offer better crits (and improve my own compositions, of course :D ).