PDA

View Full Version : What's needed to run Platinum?

tlester
04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi all -

I was reading through the new EWQLSO "Guide" and I noticed it said that for running Platinum it's recommended that you spread the programming across 4 HIGH END computers or 8 for big jobs. Is this really required? Holy cow! That's a lot of processing requirements!

-Tom

Doug Rogers
04-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Hi all -

I was reading through the new EWQLSO "Guide" and I noticed it said that for running Platinum it's recommended that you spread the programming across 4 HIGH END computers or 8 for big jobs. Is this really required? Holy cow! That's a lot of processing requirements!

-Tom

Tom,

The answer is no, you can run Platinum on one reasonably fast computer with at least 1.5 Gigs of FREE RAM (not counting other software and the OS) without any problems, as many do already, but you will have to bounce periodically to your audio sequencer and mix your composition there.

The addition of a dedicated 'fast' hard drive just for the samples (no software) is highly recommended also. We use WD 10,000 rpm Raptor drives; they are cheap, and they deliver great streaming performance.

Ideally, with one computer you should compose with the stage mics only (conductor position), and when you are done with your composition, render (bounce) the other 2 mic positions to your audio sequencer and mix the 3 stereo tracks there. The close mics will be used sparingly to 'spot mic' or bring forward instruments or sections. That is certainly quicker than recording an orchestra!

The power users have 4-8 computers because they want as much of their composition 'live' as possible so they can work fast.

- Doug

Steve Karl
04-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi all -

-Tom

The second question you should be very conscerned about is "What will my latency be?"
I'm sure there's a way to run Platinum on a moderately decent computer with a fair amount of ram.
Running it ..... and running it in a way that is functional to being able to actually record parts in real time are 2 different things.

See my tests with Gold in this thread, and note that Gold is less demanding.

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=106

Do some research. Compare your machine to the machines that others are using to effectively run Platinum. Ask about latency settings.

Steve

jphilpit
04-16-2005, 06:58 AM
I run Platinum on a single Windows PC with 2 GB of RAM and a 3.2 GHz Pentium4 processor. I do run the samples off a drive that runs none of the software. And I get around 40 tracks running simultaneously before I begin to get problems, and even then I can go higher by "freezing" some plugins in my sequencer (Sonar4).

Before I bring in live singers, I usually run latency at about 22 ms, but then have to lower it closer to 5 ms to keep the singers on the beat. But by then I have usually bounced most of the MIDI tracks down to mixed audio tracks, which lowers the load on the processor and hard drive enough that the lower latency does not cause problems.

So, yes, as I wrote, for larger projects 2 to 8 linked computers is the suggested norm for Platinum, but small to mid-size projects can get by with one very capable computer. With the smaller hardware setup, you have to be more aware not to load lots and lots of keyswitch files or files with very high polyphony, and you have to be always thinking about how close you are to needing to bounce down your MIDI tracks. You also should be monitoring your polyphony settings to make sure you're not setting aside way more buffers than you need. If you have 4 comptuers, you have to do less of that mental bookkeeping and can devote more of your brain to just making the music.