PDA

View Full Version : RAM Question

rainmain
04-05-2008, 03:35 PM
I have a 1.5 yr old laptop, AMD - under 1 GHz, 1 GB ram. I can only load between 6 - 8 mid-sized samples at a time, which is a huge pain. I anticipated needing a new computer after I got EWQLSO Gold, I just wasn't sure how much I would need to upgrade.

I thought to load a full orchestra template (w/lots of different articulations) I would need around 16 Gb ram (more maybe, since I'm planning on getting MoR, RA, SC, Gypsy). However, I've been hearing that more of my problem might lie in the fact that my ram is slow, that my processor is painfully slow, and that those factors working together cause me to not be able to fully utilize the ram I have.

SO... if I upgraded to say, a dual-core 2.4ish, with 8 Gb ram DDR2 800 MHz (which would be a huge savings over some of those monsters I was looking at), would that work?

A better question might be - what are your specs, and how many instruments does that allow you to load?

Thanks much

tys
04-05-2008, 04:10 PM
First of all you would need a 64-bit system to use more than 4 gb of RAM.

But a 64-system with 2.4 ghz (quad I'd say) and 8 gb of ram (same type 6400cl4) you should have no problems playing around.

Read Vatroslavs 64-bit post, would answer some of your questions more in-depth.

Mathias

Pietro
04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
I have a different question. I'm planning to upgrade my 4GB of RAM to 8GB, to try out some tricks with Windows XP x64 and Kontakt 3 or FXT to run my Platinum library.

I was wondering if anyone would not recommend getting sticks with CL4 timings? Is there an issue of stability in comparison to CL5?

- Piotr

Nash
04-16-2008, 09:53 PM
First of all you would need a 64-bit system to use more than 4 gb of RAM.

But a 64-system with 2.4 ghz (quad I'd say) and 8 gb of ram (same type 6400cl4) you should have no problems playing around.

Read Vatroslavs 64-bit post, would answer some of your questions more in-depth.

Mathias

Correct, plus you also need a host sequencer and sampler which must support 64bit. I remember when Doug said that PLAY is able to access over 4 GB ram even tough if your host sequencer is only 32bit, but your computer still must be 64 bit system.

Nash