PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray? Easier to install?

LuckyStrik3r
04-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi,

ich would like to know if EW QL is considering to switch to Bluray dics. Maybe its not nessesary for every VST but it would be much easier installing EWQLSO or EW Pianos with 2-4 Bluray discs rather than sitting in front of your computer for about a day or two switching between tons of DVDs.:p

On the otherhand I would like to know how the rest of you thinks about this.:confused:

Cheers

lilycat
04-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah but who has bluray drives yet?

Serious question...

I'm not planning on updating my studio computer for another two or three years so I know I won't have bluray unless I add an extra drive.

theyarecomingforyou
04-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I'd definitely like Blu-ray as an option. Even though I'd have to spend 90 on the drive (though they're getting cheaper all the time) I would because it would be a lot more convenient - currently I just don't have any real incentive to upgrade to Blu-ray. I really hope it comes sooner than later, though I doubt very much we'll see it any time soon.

Keithho
04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
I wrote an opinion about it in "EWQLSO play sneakpeak."
The response was that "it was expensive" or "who has a BR-driver?"
The funny thing is, these people have money for a 10k+USD kickass DAW.
But dont want to spend a few extra buck against the DVD mess.

Something just dont make sense.

Hyler
04-06-2008, 03:49 PM
BluRay won, time to invest some $$$ into it. After the withdrawl of HD-DVD, BluRay drives seem to have dropped to about as low as $179, cheaper than any Play library that's out now. Might be a couple of dollars out of our pockets, but in the end it'll be a much easier process. Stick in the BD, press install, leave for awhile, come back to have a brand new library set and ready to go.

Dreamcube017
04-06-2008, 06:16 PM
I remember that little discussion in the EWQLSO PLAY sneakpeak thread. I was one of the ones saying it was expensive and I can tell you right now that I don't have a 10k DAW... I don't have a 2K DAW... The most expensive thing was my computer at about 1K including screen and some extra RAM. But anyhow, I can't speak for everyone but I know I don't have a Blu-ray drive and can't really afford to spend cash on one right now.

Plus, this is the same question kind of as "Well why aren't all the movies in Blu-ray yet?" It's because not enough people have a blu-ray drive in their PC/Mac yet. I'll give it a year or so ad it should be in style. It would be cooler and faster... although there's something I like about taking hours to install a nice high quality library that I know I'll use... don't ask me what that "something" is, but I just know it's there for me... but I know if you're in a rush or need to get to work right away, the DVD thing totally sucks. But for now, we'll have to live with it... imagine if everything was on CDs....

A suggestion that may work is using dual-layer DVDs. Those have 8.9 gigs instead of 4.7, so it won't totally get rid of so many DVDs, but it'll at least cut the number of DVDs it takes to install a library in half. So... what do you say EW, duel-layer?

Reegs
04-06-2008, 08:17 PM
My vote is for punch cards, but I'll put up with 3.5" floppies if I have to. :p

Several developers are also taking the hard drive route for sample distribution. This method definitely has some advantages, such as having your samples all there, ready to play or move over in one large chunk, and some definite disadvantages, such as magnetic fields and shock sensitivity. Discs are more durable, though they do take more time and getting a scratch on one can really ruin your day if it's in the middle of a big file.

I agree with Dreamcube about enjoying the loading process. It's the anticipation for a new toy. Like being awake on Christmas morning before your parents, if you will.

I'm sure sample distribution can only benefit from the jumps forward. Library sizes seem to have leveled out in recent years. Many are downloadable now too. For the larger ones, I'm sure it's only a matter of time for BluRay. I'll give it two years, tops.

Reegs

Keithho
04-06-2008, 08:17 PM
If no one sees the irony, i do..

EWQLSO in play will require alot of computer power. Computer with alot of power is expensive. (Anyone see the connection)
So if you cant afford a br-driver, why bother to buy the software? I upgraded my machine since i bought EWQL pianos.

A.Leung
04-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah but who has bluray drives yet.

Anyone with PlayStation I would Imagine.

LEX
04-07-2008, 03:13 AM
I'd definitely like Blu-ray as an option. Even though I'd have to spend 90 on the drive (though they're getting cheaper all the time) I would because it would be a lot more convenient - currently I just don't have any real incentive to upgrade to Blu-ray. I really hope it comes sooner than later, though I doubt very much we'll see it any time soon.

Actually, since the death of HD DVD, Bluray prices have gone up.

They will go down, but not until late summer if not fall.

LEX

thrinithan
04-07-2008, 04:40 AM
So if you cant afford a br-driver, why bother to buy the software?

Because the software is on DVD :rolleyes:

chest
04-07-2008, 05:00 AM
The funny thing is, these people have money for a 10k+USD kickass DAW.
But dont want to spend a few extra buck against the DVD mess.

Something just dont make sense.

EWQLSO in play will require alot of computer power. Computer with alot of power is expensive. (Anyone see the connection)
So if you cant afford a br-driver, why bother to buy the software? I upgraded my machine since i bought EWQL pianos.

I see what you're getting at, Keithho, but what I'd ask myself is: how many big EWQLSO packages will I have to install before the blue-ray drives get better and cheaper, and am I willing to pay the extra it costs to get a drive now, in order to save some work in the short term? I may well conclude that it's worth the money, but that has NOTHING to do with the cost of the packages.

Logically, how much more you're spending on other stuff is totally irrelevant to your quite separate decision about whether to spend money to save yourself time and hassle. Admittedly, a high level of spending might indicate that there's a decent sized budget available - but you might still want to spend as much as you can of your budget on the actual musical software/VIs. Or someone might have stretched their spending to the limit to get some of these expensive items - perhaps meaning they can't get some other (non-musical) thing they wanted - and, as a result, they could want to economise as far as possible - NOT follow YOUR recommendation (made without knowing individuals' financial circumstances) that they should spend even more. Perhaps you're assuming that everyone is as wealthy as you.

Your reasoning is rather like the often-heard salesman's ploy: "What's an extra 150 when you're spending 3000?" - My answer is "It's 150, the same as when I'm spending nothing". I think it's foolish to get carried away with ideas like "I have spent a lot of money, so it's OK to spend some more."

I don't want to seem rude, but - where you say above that something doesn't make sense - IMHO you ought to examine your own reasoning before being so critical of the reasoning of other purchasers.

lilycat
04-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Anyone with PlayStation I would Imagine.

Lol - I'd like to be able to install EWSO Play on one - or better yet the wii!! Think of the fun especially with the immanent launch of wii fit.

(I know it ain't blueray but it's fun to speculate)

lilycat
04-07-2008, 05:41 AM

Cause not everyone has the same priorities. I have a kick-ass computer which I bought a bit over a year ago, but now the free cash I have I'd like to put towards plugins and studio sound proofing. Blueray just isn't in my top ten of things to purchase this tax year.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be an option for those of you who have it but I'm happy to install it the ol' fashioned way and maybe add Pianos to my collection :)

Keithho
04-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Did i touch some nerves?

Let me make my suggestion. And its just a idea. That is MY idea.
Give me a choice: EWQLSO play with 7xBRs for 50bucks more, or 60DVDs for 50bucks less. (What ever the math is)

Is just a suggestion.... Just

theyarecomingforyou
04-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Actually, since the death of HD DVD, Bluray prices have gone up.
Actually, that only applies to standalone players - I've been monitoring the price of Blu-ray drives for computers and they have definitely been coming down.

NEway, it would be a nice option - just like buying on a hard-drive is an option that is becoming more common.

chest
04-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Did i touch some nerves?

Let me make my suggestion. And its just a idea. That is MY idea.
Give me a choice: EWQLSO play with 7xBRs for 50bucks more, or 60DVDs for 50bucks less. (What ever the math is)

Is just a suggestion.... Just

No you didn't touch a nerve with me, I just thought the comparison you made with the DAW costs, etc, was misleading.

This new, hypothetical question of yours makes more sense because it's specifically about whether people would be willing to spend $100 to save themselves time and effort - rather like choosing whether to make/repair something or buy one for $100 more than the cost of the parts.

I'm not going to answer now: I'll decide when there's a real-world choice on offer.

I don't know whether I'd expect the people with expensive DAWs to be willing to spend more money for a saving in time/effort than those with less expensive DAWs would pay for the same saving. But I do think that, unless you properly understand their finances and preferences, you can't say they're wrong if they aren't willing to spend more.

admin
04-07-2008, 09:26 AM
A suggestion that may work is using dual-layer DVDs. Those have 8.9 gigs instead of 4.7, so it won't totally get rid of so many DVDs, but it'll at least cut the number of DVDs it takes to install a library in half. So... what do you say EW, duel-layer?

Since last October all of our DVDs have been dual-layer.

We are looking into a hard drive option.

LuckyStrik3r
04-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all your opinions I hope something will change :D

christerholm
01-15-2010, 06:19 AM
Why not just ship the libraries on SSD disks :)

Veron
01-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Why not just ship the libraries on SSD disks :)

Hollywood Strings is over 500GB.
Lookup the price for 512GB SSD's. You`ll be almost paying twice.