PDA

View Full Version : Fl Studio?

amgeoffrey12
04-15-2005, 07:45 PM
This may be a stupid question, but i'm a newb, so bare with me :D

I'm used to using FL Studio 5 with soundfonts and wav samples to make my music, and i'm rather new to the whole samples thing. I'm thinking of buying the Silver Orchestra Edition, but i have a few questions...

1) Is it compatible with FL Studio?
2) If not, does the included software have a piano roll/sequencer?
3) Are the sound files wav or some other kind of sample format?

Thankyou so much for putting up with these newby questions, i'm very very new to the music tech biz!

neoTypic
04-15-2005, 10:02 PM
I believe FL has a VST host capabilities which would mean you could use EWQLSO. ;)

The included Kompakt host does not have any inherent sequencing capabilities (piano roll etc).

I believe they are in .nkm files which are Kontakt/Kompakt ready.

With FL it should just be as easy as loading it up as a VSTi and setting your tracks to point to it as an output.

amgeoffrey12
04-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks for your help! I'll probably invest in this now!

neoTypic
04-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Sure thing!

I'll advise you now if you're using a consumer soundcard to google ASIO4All which is a generic driver that allows you to use ASIO's lower latency times through cards such as the type SoundBlaster makes which don't support ASIO natively.

Since you're somewhat new and may not know: latency is basically that delay between when you trigger a sound and when you hear it. Lower is better. 9-12ms is a a decent delay time. The higher you get the more noticeable it is. If you're playing 'live' you'll want it very low. If you're just using it for playback you can get away with higher times.

If you're looking for a cheap intro level audio card try M-Audio's 2496. You can find it for about 100$ and it'll hold yah for quite a while.

Kayamb
04-17-2005, 12:14 AM
I am also using FL Studio 5 and Silver, and it works very easily as a plugin!

But I don't know how to make it work as a standalone application and link it to FL. If someone knows, could you tell me how? My concern is that I'd like not to create an instance of the Kompakt plugin for each track so I could save some RAM... I'd like to link FL to only one instance, that is the standalone. I am quitenew with both FL and Silver, and I probably don't understand all the mecanisms.

Cheers

neoTypic
04-17-2005, 03:34 AM
You could use something like MapleMIDICables to route it from FL to the standalone. I don't know why you would have to though. You should be able to open up the instance of the EWQLSO VST and load an instrument in each slot and then just set the MIDI channel to the corresponding one in the VST.

So it'd look like:

VSTi's > EWQLSO Silver
Slot 1 > Clarinet - MIDI Ch > 1
Slot 2 > Violin - MIDI Ch > 2

Track One: Clarinet
Out > EWQLSO
MIDI Ch > 1

Track Two: Violin
Out > EWQLSO
MIDI Ch > 2

etc.

Kayamb
04-17-2005, 04:56 AM
Thanks NeoTypic!

I can now link the standalone with Fruity Loops. I am using Midi Yoke to as a virtual midi interface.

By the way, if I want to use more than 8 instruments, do I have to launch several instances of the standalone Kompakt? How to link the right channel with the different instances?

Cheers.

neoTypic
04-17-2005, 06:23 AM
You're more than welcome bud.

I'm uncertain how many slots each instance has as I do not have a copy yet. I'm waiting for payday to join in on the fun. ;) But yes, if there are only 8 slots you'll need to open up another instance. 8 seems kinda low though.

If that's the case your virtual midi interface should be numbered something like "MidiYoke1" - "MidiYoke4" OUT/IN. I'm uncertain how MidiYoke works as I use MidiCables.

Each Yoke# should contain at least 8 virtual MIDI channels to route through.

In such case point tracks 1-8 to MidiYoke1 as an OUT, and in the first instance have slots 1-8 point to MidiYoke1 as it's IN.

Tracks 9-16 MidiYoke2 as OUT using 1-8 as Channels (Track 9, channel 1 - Track 10, channel 2, etc)
Second instance of Kompakt slots 1-8 using MidiYoke2 as it's IN.

Rinse repeat. ;)

Nayi
04-17-2005, 07:46 AM
There is another way:

1 - Open up the Kompakt sampler in FLS

2 - Configure the port of the pluggin (kompakt) to say "0"

3 - Open up a bunch of midi outs channels and configure then to also port "0"

4 - Them select the number of the instrument you want to play on the midi out channel.

I hope it's clear for you, but if you still have doubts just reply to this.

PS: I would also suggest asking help in the FSL forum.

neoTypic
04-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the help Nayi! I don't have FLS myself so all I can offer is generic methods on this. ;)

Tmon
04-18-2005, 08:05 AM
I use FL studio with Stormdrum. It has a killer pattern sequencer. I can then export my midi files to use in my sequencer.

-T

Kayamb
04-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks a lot Nayi!

I tried it and it works fine. However there's still a weird thing. The volume automations don't work anymore. Looks like the volume has no effects on the midi stuff...

Have you tried making volume automation with midi out channels?

Cheers!!

Nayi
04-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Yes, the volume automation works.

Assign the vst pluggin to a fx channel (for instance #2) then move the slider to see if it's working. Now just press record and move it again.

Kayamb
04-22-2005, 06:14 PM
The automations are actually recorded, but have no effect. I made an automation on the volume (small knob on left of channel button in the step sequencer). Then this knob moves well, but the volume doesn't change (same problem for the pan).

I think it makes sense, as the sounds is supposed to got out of FL (midi out). We might need to redirect the sound from Kompakt to the fx mixer. Do you have an idea how to make that happen? I can't find how to root each instrument (each audio output) back from a kompakt multi to a different fx track in the FL mixer...

Thanks!

Nayi
04-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Ok, my audio pc is not working so I will have to answer this away from FL. I just hope I remember everything correctly.

The volume knob on the left of the channel is suppose to work as well as panning.
Check if the port in midi out is the same as the pluggin.

Now for the automation I would recommend using the slider in the Fl mixer. To do this you must choose a free channel in the mixer (for example #2).
To connect the mixer channel to the pluggin you must go to the fl wrapper and choose 2 on the top of the wrapper.
What is fl wrapper and how to find it?
FL wrapper is basically what supports the vst in FL. So, click on the vst pluggin, it will show up the kompakt player now move this around to find the fl wrapper (it's usually behind the vst pluggin).

I wish I had FL here with me to explain it a little better. But I hope this helps.

good luck !

Kayamb
04-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Tanks again Nayi.

What you explain is quite clear, and I found similar hints from NI Kompakt's forum.
I tried it once but it didn't really work out though...

I'll try again later when I have the time, and if the problem persists I'll post again here.

Thanks!

Nayi
04-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Also try the FL forum, they are quite helpful.

Kayamb
04-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi Nayi,

I found what was missing. You also need to allocate a one different for each slot: "1/2" for the first one, "3/4" for the second, etc.

Thanks again for your help!