PDA

View Full Version : External HD for EW samples on PC - anything against this one?

chest
04-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I've provisionally chosen Western Digital's "MyBook Studio Edition" one-terrabyte external HDD with USB, Firewire & eSATA interfaces.

Although it's promoted for use with Macs, I've read that it's OK with PCs. "PC Pro" (UK mag) Apr 2008 gave it a good review, though said the price was a little high. (Hm, I paid more for 9-GB SCSI (bare) drive, not many years ago!)

And reason why I ought to get a different external HDD, instead?

Dave Bourke
04-10-2008, 11:50 AM
When these first came out I was very interested in them. However, I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where though) that these drives had been designed to conform with DRM restrictions and were therefore not suitable for use with audio or video files. Needless to say, I lost interest in them straight away.

Kind regards.

chest
04-10-2008, 01:47 PM
... I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where though) that these drives had been designed to conform with DRM restrictions and were therefore not suitable for use with audio or video files...
That doesn't come across on the WD website. They make a point of talking about usage for video, even to the extent of having a "testimonial": "To create broadcast spots, music videos and short-format projects for high-profile clients under extreme deadline pressure, Curt and his production group require lots of fast, reliable storage. Thatís why he chose the My Book Studio Edition. Itís the perfect production assistant to handle that job."

Are they being "tricky" there and implying something that they're not actually saying?

Excuse my lack of knowledge: is DRM conformity problematical for a sample drive?

Dave Bourke
04-10-2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/western_digital_drm_crippled_harddrive/

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=MyBook%2BDRM&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Kind regards.

chest
04-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Dave

Thanks for the links. I've mentioned this on a thread about attitudes to DRM

[Here]

As far as I can see, WD's actions with DRM in relation to the network version of the MyBook wouldn't affect anyone whose sample drive was the one I was considering. But I see why people got angry and encouraged would-be buyers to boycott WD's drives.

chest
04-18-2008, 06:54 AM
I asked Western Digital for some info about this drive ...

As a potential buyer, I'd like to know the seek time, rotational speed, and other standard performance stats for the MyBook Studio. However, after spending some time on the website and reading several of the downloadable pdfs, the nearest I could find to any performance spec is the theoretical max transfer rates with each of its four interfaces. (Even the documents whose titles suggest they contain these technical details don't seem actually to have them.)

Will you please either send me these figures or tell me where I can find them?

Also, can you comment on the suitability of this drive for use as an audio "sample drive", ie where (eg) thousands of very short recordings of orchestral sounds could be stored for use with standard "sample-playback" programs such as Native Instruments's "Kontakt". As you may know, unlike ordinary audio/video playback where a single file might be accessed for streaming several minutes of material, sample playback can involve the retrieval of dozens of short ("sample") files in every second of a piece of music, requiring a different kind of performance from the drive.

... On a Mac computer, with a Firewire 800 connection which is the most stable, it should do, but we couldn't guarantee.

The disks contained in our external devices are not always the same, we use what is in stock at the time we need them, that is why there is no information of whats inside the box ...