PDA

View Full Version : Midi-Controller Question

bozzio
04-12-2008, 12:00 AM
I have a 49 key midi-controller. Do I need and 88 key midi controller in order to access all the keyswitches in my new copy of EWQLSO Platinum Pro Bundle, as well as Symphonic Choirs and VOP ?? If so I need to buy one now because I plan on starting to use all of those programs within a week or so.

I was thinking of the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88. Anyone know anything about that one?

A.Leung
04-12-2008, 12:04 AM
I have a 49 key midi-controller. Do I need and 88 key midi controller in order to access all the keyswitches in my new copy of EWQLSO Platinum Pro Bundle, as well as Symphonic Choirs and VOP ?? If so I need to buy one now because I plan on starting to use all of those programs within a week or so.

I was thinking of the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88. Anyone know anything about that one?

well it certainly is convienent to have all 88 keys but no you CAN transpose things around to get it to work. (i.e. if the keyswitches are all at the lower keys you can transpose up) or if their at the top you can transpose down. Or are all the keyswitches for EWQLSO at the bottom always? I forget. I know Vienna mixes them up..

Andrew Sigler
04-12-2008, 11:23 AM

Ditto on Allan's response.

My understanding is that the Pro 88 is not all that hot, but I think that opinion is generally based on a desire for weighted keys and a high level of velocity reponsiveness. If those things aren't important to you, then it might be a good fit. Ask a local dealer if they'll let you take one home for a few days to try it out...

-Andy

gstitt
04-14-2008, 06:59 AM
My understanding is that the Pro 88 is not all that hot, but I think that opinion is generally based on a desire for weighted keys and a high level of velocity reponsiveness. If those things aren't important to you, then it might be a good fit.

My thoughts exactly. I don't like the Pro 88 at all, but I like a realistic piano action. For someone not interested in action, the Pro 88 is likely a good deal.

RCRees
04-14-2008, 09:05 AM

From all I've seen, the keyswitches are always together at the bottom. I use a 49 key controller (E-MU Xboard) which can be lowered an octave with a push of a button. You can also "click" on the keyswitches in the Kompakt player keyboard (might have to lower it an octave to see them).

Rob

gstitt
04-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Several of the lower instruments have keyswitches around middle C, but that still shouldn't be a problem. Just about every sequencer allows you to transpose differently for each track.

bozzio
04-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the help, I will see if I can pull everything off with just my Axiom-49. I guess I could also overdub the keyswitches as well right?

gstitt
04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Yes. I actually have libraries that have sounds mapped to a range greater than an 88 key keyboard. I won't mention the library in order to avoid breaking forum rules, so here's a riddle: it is a drum library from the opposite of heaven.