PDA

View Full Version : Active vs. Passive monitors

rainmain
04-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey folks,

I know that active monitors have passive monitors need an amp and that active don't... but is there ever a sound quality difference between the two?

Also, if you have any suggestions on a good pair in the 1,000 range, I'm all ears. Sub too...

paulwr
04-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Hey folks,

I know that active monitors have passive monitors need an amp and that active don't... but is there ever a sound quality difference between the two?

Also, if you have any suggestions on a good pair in the 1,000 range, I'm all ears. Sub too...

I got my Event Precision 8's for $800 (GuitarCenter....ask for 'professional discount'. Very good deal. No Sub's here. If I have to mix in surround I'll get them, but I have someone else to do that.

I think you'll usually spend more money if you try to get high quality amps for your speakers instead of getting 'active' monitors. I suppose you could even surpass the active monitors sound quality if you get good enough amps, but the mid-high end active monitors usually have pretty decent amps/crossovers tuned carefully to the speakers. I never felt I had the time or the need to try and pioneer that territory. The speakers/amps are very important, but don't forget to place them well and tune the room.

-Paul

nickysnd
04-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Hey folks,

Forget passive monitors.

In your price range, I would suggest KRK RP8 (+ the subwoofer RP10S). My speakers are KRK RP5, which is a class lower, still they sound quite nice.

A.Leung
04-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Hey folks,

Active vs passive is really up to how they sound, there are some passive monitors that just sound freakin awesome but you need a good clean amp, and unfortunately thats whats really gonna cost ya. i much prefer active for the sheer simplicity.

However with that said - if you want your mix to sound right on most systems you really need both.

One downside on actives: if your amps in the monitors go bad...it's gonna cost some $$$ to repair.

I'd rather not recommend anything. I'd rather you go and take a listen yourself.

rainmain
04-13-2008, 12:34 AM
I got my Event Precision 8's for $800 (GuitarCenter....ask for 'professional discount'. Very good deal. No Sub's here. If I have to mix in surround I'll get them, but I have someone else to do that.

The speakers/amps are very important, but don't forget to place them well and tune the room.

Thanks Paul! I've heard the Event Precisions are nice.

Unfortch, I'll be in my crappy apartment in Baltimore for about 6 more months... but when I move back to the hometown I'll have a dedicated room for the studio that will be excellent for the speakers. (VERY excited)

Forget passive monitors.

In your price range, I would suggest KRK RP8 (+ the subwoofer RP10S). My speakers are KRK RP5, which is a class lower, still they sound quite nice.

Thanks Nickysynd, I'll check those out asap. I appreciate your advice, as always!

Active vs passive is really up to how they sound, there are some passive monitors that just sound freakin awesome but you need a good clean amp, and unfortunately thats whats really gonna cost ya. i much prefer active for the sheer simplicity.

I see, simplicity and cost are really big factors for the new studio... I've already got plenty of technical issues ahead, no need to add to the trouble!

However with that said - if you want your mix to sound right on most systems you really need both.

Sounds like a 'down the road' investment, but good to know. :)

I'd rather not recommend anything. I'd rather you go and take a listen yourself.

Sounds good - I'm going to check 'em out tomorrow at guitar center, just good to get some ideas for where to look first!

Thanks guys, you're so helpful!

Edit: I'll make sure to put up some pics when this massive project is over :)

Nash
04-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Yamaha HS80m :D