PDA

View Full Version : Monitors that work in portrait mode?

Andrew Sigler
04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey Folks,

I'm looking into a 22" monitor that swivels to portrait mode and wondered if anyone had one and what their thoughts are on them...

-Andy

gstitt
04-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Is this normally a feature of the monitor? I thought I had read about graphics cards that allow you to switch to portrait mode. I wasn't aware monitors had this feature.

If you are just looking for a monitor arm/stand, I have one that I really like that very easily switches to portrait mode. I forget the name, but I can find out later today if you are interested.

Andrew Sigler
04-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Well, there is one in particular but I'm hesitant to put it up given the forum rules. It actually swivels to portrait mode and has included software that allows the view to change. I thought it would be great for track view as well as notation for big scores. I've read mixed reviews, but I don't think any of the reviewers were music folk...

-Andy

Pietro
04-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Andy, if you are looking for 22" with pivot option, take a look at HP w2207 series. I have w2207h, and even though, I wasn't able to get included software (with auto-rotate) not to crash my whole system, I am very satisfied. It has a very cool stand, very stable.

Keep in mind, HP pavillon series have glossy screen surface, so they work only in rather dark environment.

- Piotr

gstitt
04-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Lol, I'm still getting used the forum rules too. :)

I'm having a hard time myself finding the "ideal" way to configure monitors. I've tried a 24" monitor, which I like for the most part, but for my real job (not music), I prefer 2 20" monitors. I keep switching back and forth, and have yet to find the perfect setting.

nickysnd
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey Folks,

I'm looking into a 22" monitor that swivels to portrait mode and wondered if anyone had one and what their thoughts are on them...

-Andy
I am using a Gateway FPD1975W monitor, which is 19", so you may want to look into a FPD2275W. It didn't come with a rotate-adjustable stand, so I bought that one separately. What I like best about my monitor is that it is bright without being harsh to the eyes. I needed it to be bright for I always keep the light on when working (I keep lots of paper around me). Also it has a good contrast so that I can keep it at more than 2 feet distance (for the same paper reason). But my main reason for buying it was Finale -- in portrait mode it allows me to see big format pages (like 11x17) without having to scale the view-size down.

The only thing that slightly bothers me is that its highest resolution is 1440x900. I was on a very tight budget, otherwise my option would have been the 22' model (which also allows higher resolution).

Andrew Sigler
04-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Andy, if you are looking for 22" with pivot option, take a look at HP w2207 series. I have w2207h, and even though, I wasn't able to get included software (with auto-rotate) not to crash my whole system, I am very satisfied. It has a very cool stand, very stable.

Keep in mind, HP pavillon series have glossy screen surface, so they work only in rather dark environment.

- Piotr

This is exactly the monitor I was talking about. I've seen them in a few stores and think they are real sharp, but I'd love to be able to use it for scores in the pivot mode. I understand HP is planning to update the software, but until then I may hold off.

Thanks everybody!

-Andy

Pietro
04-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I tried running HP software while my LCD was plugged by VGA, not HDMI, as it is now, so that could make a difference. Windows simply didn't start after installing the software, I had to perform a system restore (which after all, was not that difficult). It was in January though, I believe software changed too. I could make a test, later this week, and let you know.

- Piotr

ewkarl7777
04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I went hunting for a monitor with Portrait mode a while ago. I ended up not getting anything because I couldn't find anything under $500 and didn't want to spend that much.

I just looked up the Gateway FPD2275W and it doesn't appear to have Portrait mode.

Andrew Sigler
04-14-2008, 09:15 PM
I tried running HP software while my LCD was plugged by VGA, not HDMI, as it is now, so that could make a difference. Windows simply didn't start after installing the software, I had to perform a system restore (which after all, was not that difficult). It was in January though, I believe software changed too. I could make a test, later this week, and let you know.

- Piotr

I don't want you to futz up your system, but I'd love to know how things work out...:D

-Andy

Pochflyboy
04-14-2008, 09:50 PM
I also have the HP w2207 and I love it! It works well, has a sharp picture, and is priced right. I can say that you will probably still need a second monitor. I use a 17in for the VSTi running in my sequencer to be displayed on. This is a great option to turn it. Especially with the really big scores in sibelius.

-Joe P.

LEX
04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Hey Folks,

-Andy

I have 2 these. They do that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001081

LEX

nickysnd
04-15-2008, 01:24 AM
I just looked up the Gateway FPD2275W and it doesn't appear to have Portrait mode.
Yes it does. :)

audiochild
04-15-2008, 07:12 AM
I've got two DELLs but stopped using them in pivot mode. it was nicethat you don't have to scroll up and down on forums but for my music applications it was not as useful as I expected.

andrewjs
04-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey Folks,

-Andy

i have a nice 24" widescreen Dell (about 6 months old) and it's great. i use it to write full scores in full view so i don't have to scroll from the flutes to the double-basses. Excellent for large ensemble notation work. thus, likely also great for working on multi-track layouts without having to scroll.

you have to have a graphics card that supports OS rotation, but maybe they all do nowadays. my old one didn't so i had to get a new one. but my old one was 6 years old!

if you get a Dell, get a graphics card with DVI output, not VGA, as the Dell's seem to respond poorly to VGA, or at least, to the nvdia GeForce 5200, which is a cheap card anyway.

ewkarl7777
04-15-2008, 08:11 PM
"Yes it does." - nickysnd (re; does Gateway FPD2275W have Portrait mode)

I assume you are referring to the $70 extra stand? "You get tilt adjustment, but that's about it; no swivel, no rotating to portrait mode, and no height adjustment without the aid of a monitor stand or phone book. Gateway does sell a $70 stand that gives you all of the above adjustments plus four USB 2.0 ports."

http://review.zdnet.com/lcd-monitors/gateway-fpd2275w/4505-3174_16-32305863.html

nickysnd
04-15-2008, 08:32 PM
"Yes it does." - nickysnd (re; does Gateway FPD2275W have Portrait mode)

I assume you are referring to the $70 extra stand? "You get tilt adjustment, but that's about it; no swivel, no rotating to portrait mode, and no height adjustment without the aid of a monitor stand or phone book. Gateway does sell a $70 stand that gives you all of the above adjustments plus four USB 2.0 ports."

http://review.zdnet.com/lcd-monitors/gateway-fpd2275w/4505-3174_16-32305863.html
"Opt for the height-adjustable, rotating display stand to have your screen automatically change from landscape to portrait view using the built-in EzTune™ software's auto-sensing display rotation."
http://www.gateway.com/accessories/product/1540982R.php?seg=hm

Andrew Sigler
04-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks again for all the replies folks. I haven't come to a final decision yet, but these responses have been very helpful.

-Andy

Pietro
04-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey Andy,

I tried installing latest software (unfortunately not updated since 7.2007), and it did run fine once, but then Windows didn't want to restart. I had to perform a quick system recovery to a point before installing HP software. (this test didn't crash anything, so don't worry ;) )

My system specs:
XP Pro
Intel Q6600 on Gigabyte P965-DS3 mobo
ATI X1300 Pro Silent

Pros of portrait mode with w2207h:
- Cubase fits about 40 very legible tracks, in normal mode, it fits about 25.
- Full, very clear piano roll on one screen, no up-down scrolling needed

Cons:
- It's very strange, that if you look straight at the screen, the right side differs A LOT in brightness. It's visible on darker screens, no problem in Cubase though.
- The screen is very high, but very narrow.
- Consider 22" widescreen a huge screen for portait mode, so accessing to menus or toolbars at the top of the screen means your neck will hurt very quickly ;)
- While rotating the screen, it will rearrange your desktop (move icons) and won't revert it when rerotating
- Some cables are not placed too well for pivot action.

You'd have to get used to it if you really wanted it. I prefer to stay in wide mode. And that's mostly, because my LCD stands to high, to use it in portrait mode :D With vesa mount... who knows?

- Piotr

Jesse Searls
04-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Right when I read the post title I thought HP. I tried one out at Microcenter and it worked like a charm. If you're on a budget, just don't go too low, I have a very well priced Hanns-G 19" (Cheap) that works but has a weird line that goes down the middle, not all the time, only when it wants to. My next purchase I would spend some more, get some size and a good amount of features, maybe even an HDMI port just to future-proof it.

Some words of warning!

Searls

Andrew Sigler
05-20-2008, 12:05 PM

- Piotr

I went with the 2207 and I LOVE IT! Having a 2 monitor setup is so much better, and the 2207 has performed beautifully. Thanks for the help and input everybody.

-Andy

ps - I don't use the included software to rotate the screen, I just go into display properties ->advanced and flip it. Works like a charm.

Pietro
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I went with the 2207 and I LOVE IT! Having a 2 monitor setup is so much better, and the 2207 has performed beautifully. Thanks for the help and input everybody.

-Andy

ps - I don't use the included software to rotate the screen, I just go into display properties ->advanced and flip it. Works like a charm.

I'm more than satisfied with mine too :)

The software is bad, but it's not necessary.

And the LCD looks so great!

- Piotr