PDA

View Full Version : Will this setup work

dexterwheeler
04-15-2008, 10:27 AM
How will this setup run? ( any advice on hardware or setup change before I start buying would be helpful )

Mac pro 8
-8 gigs of ram
- main 320 gig drive for logic pro 8 and os.
- one 500 gig drive for platinum
- one 500 gig for symphonic choirs.

Slave PC ( hooked up through ethernet cable )
- intel xeon 1.86 ghz
- 4 gigs of ram.
- one drive for windows xp 64
- one 500 gig drive with vienna ensemble 3 with vienna special edition standard library loaded and a few other VSL products. Using the vienna ensemble I wont need another soundcard on the slave.

Still not sure which audio interface I will buy.

ChrisE
04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm looking to upgrade myself for when PLAY Symphonic Orchestra arrives (as many people are doing) and from the various threads I've seen its suggested that Platinum should be spread across multiple hard drives (ideally one for each section). This should give you a great increase in performance.

A.Leung
04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm looking to upgrade myself for when PLAY Symphonic Orchestra arrives (as many people are doing) and from the various threads I've seen its suggested that Platinum should be spread across multiple hard drives (ideally one for each section). This should give you a great increase in performance.

This is correct. Smaller drives are more efficient. So you might want to think about 250gig drives. Break up the orchestra in a reasonable way according to content.

Also put things on your slave that dont need DIRECT interaction with the main DAW (host) I am not sure how word builder works with CHOIRS. i.e. you might want to keep choirs on your host if direct interaction is required. For example if you owned Spectrasonics STYLUS RMX you would really NOT want that on a slave because the way Stylus works is at times you need to DRAG and DROP midi files FROM Stylus TO your sequencer. If it were on a slave that would become problematic.

Checck into Word Builder and see how it interacts with the HOST, etc.

dexterwheeler
04-15-2008, 07:59 PM
thanks guys for the insights. But if I install platinum on my slave would I need another soundcard in the slave. I know the vienna ensemble 3 doesnt reguire one just an ethernet cable.

A.Leung
04-15-2008, 08:42 PM
thanks guys for the insights. But if I install platinum on my slave would I need another soundcard in the slave. I know the vienna ensemble 3 doesnt reguire one just an ethernet cable.

? You need some way of getting AUDIO from slave to Master. Are you going Mac>PC or PC>PC?

If the later then you can try f/x teleport.

dexterwheeler
04-15-2008, 08:59 PM
I will be using the mac pro as my main computer. Would saving librarys on external Esata drives be a good idea? Also can I put strings/percussion on one 250 gig drive and woodwinds and brass on another?

Nash
04-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Your setup is more then good for take off.

Nash

dexterwheeler
04-15-2008, 11:08 PM
what do you guys think of Refurbished mac for sale?

A.Leung
04-15-2008, 11:30 PM
what do you guys think of Refurbished mac for sale?

there are some reputable companies out there that DO sell refubished Macs and are known for really going over them well. Make sure they come with a reasonable guarantee.

As far as buying from individuals? I'd be wary unless I knew the person

dexterwheeler
04-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Thanks I think I'll just buy a new one. Just hope I can run platinum, choirs and vsl all on 1 mac with only 4 drives until I come up with more funds.

admin
04-16-2008, 09:46 AM
This belongs in "Hardware, it's being moved.