PDA

View Full Version : Motherboards

Ulfrinn
04-20-2008, 08:25 AM
What motherboard to choose?

I am going to be building 3 computers for a MIDI studio. I have all the other components picked out, but am having trouble choosing a motherboard. I have built many computers, but all have been for gaming, so I know little about what makes a MOBO good for a studio. I know little about what chipsets work best, etc. I know what ports I need, but thats about it.

I am open for any suggestions, preferably backed up by experience. Only limitations I have, are that my budget for MOBO's is about $100 each or less, and I am building AMD systems. I know i'll probably get crap from you Intel people, but I've always built AMD, and plan to stick with what I am used to. Doesn't mean I think its better, I just prefer it.

Thanks!

Ulfrinn

persentio
04-21-2008, 07:20 AM
For reference, look up Sweetwater's Creation Station computers (http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/). They use ASUS Mobos.

Ulfrinn
04-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Will do. Thank You! I see in your sig that you use the M-audio Prokeystation 88. That it was I planned to get. How do you like it?

LuckyStrik3r
04-22-2008, 06:01 AM
If you learned to play the piano then buy the CME uf 80, the Prokeystation 88 has a very unnatural feel. At first I wanted to buy the Maudio Board. But when I tried it in real I was shocked over the very bad key feeling and I bought the CME. If you want to play fast piano parts the Maudio keys will just not do the job.

persentio
04-22-2008, 06:12 AM
Will do. Thank You! I see in your sig that you use the M-audio Prokeystation 88. That it was I planned to get. How do you like it?

Just a little clarification; the Prokeys and Keystation Pro are 2 different models altogether. But yup they should have the same hammer action feel. I personally feel that the M-Audio weighted boards do NOT have a realistic piano action, nor one that will suit most users. The keys do not go down and come up as smoothly as Yamaha pianos. When coming up they jerk up quite violently and certain keys emit this cringy sound.

However I HAVE gotten used to the feel of it and its working out fine for me. If you need LOADS of knobs and faders, the Keystation Pro 88 is the best buy in the market for me.

But if I may suggest, if you are able to wait, get the Yamaha KX8 MIDI controller (http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D567166%252526CTID%25253D208300%2525 26ATRID%25253D20%252526DETYP%25253DATTRIBUTE,00.ht ml). It should begin shipping sometime in May according to Sweetwater (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KX8). It doesn't have the mixing functionality the Keystation Pro 88 has, but it will definitely provide a more realistic piano action as well as compensates with its other MIDI functionalities such as an Arp generator.

Hope that helps!

LuckyStrik3r
04-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Oh yes you are right I mixed those two up :D

Ulfrinn
04-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Gotcha. Thanks! Yea I've tried playing the KeystationPro88 at a store, and since my piano skills are nothing beyond the piano proficiency requirements for a music degree, I'm not picky. It felt fine to me. But i'll look into the CME and the yamaha too before I make the purchase.

Thanks again!