PDA

View Full Version : Worlds Fastest SATA Disk

vanillawafer
04-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Check it out! http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/21/western-digital-launches-worlds-fastest-sata-disk-the-300gb/ I will definitely be picking up a couple of these in May!

paulwr
04-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Check it out! http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/21/western-digital-launches-worlds-fastest-sata-disk-the-300gb/ I will definitely be picking up a couple of these in May!

Those hards drives look great. Thanks for passing along. Hope they aren't too noisy; Supposed to be about like a regular Raptor, which is a bit noisy. I want to see the warranty, too. But still............. very nice.

-Paul

V o n h ö g e n
04-21-2008, 09:42 AM
So they put a lot of effort in reducing the size from 3.5-inch to 2.5-inch, only to fill the saved space with a huge non-removable heat-sink? That's weird. :confused:
The random access-time has only improved 1 ms compared to my good old Raptors, so I'm not sure what to think about this new Raptor series by WD.

Anyone?

- Jerome Vonhögen

vanillawafer
04-21-2008, 10:17 AM
From Tom's Hardware Review (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/HDD-SATA-VelociRaptor,1914-14.html):

"Our benchmark results speak for themselves and prove that Western Digital has done the right thing from an enthusiast standpoint. The new VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS will ship in May at retail prices of approximately $300, and it is the fastest and coolest 3.5"-like hard drive you can get for desktop PCs. WE say ’3.5"-like’ because it is a 2.5" hard drive that comes pre-installed in the IcePack frame, which provides efficient cooling and easy installation in standard 3.5" drive bays. The VelociRaptor provides the quickest access time, the best transfer rates, excellent application results, amazingly low surface temperature and an acceptable noise level along with its unorthodox product name."

Jonathan Kranz
04-21-2008, 10:52 AM
It's also 300GB, I don't recall the older ones ever having that much capacity right? Looks pretty interesting!

-Jonathan

vanillawafer
04-21-2008, 11:06 AM
It's also 300GB, I don't recall the older ones ever having that much capacity right? Looks pretty interesting!

-Jonathan

That is correct, my 10,000 RPM Raptor is only 150 so I couldn't put EWQL Pianos on it. Now with this drive I can put EWQL Pianos :D

V o n h ö g e n
04-21-2008, 02:24 PM
It's also 300GB, I don't recall the older ones ever having that much capacity right? (...)

-Jonathan

That's right, but I forgot to mention that I use six Raptors, so I still don't know if I would benefit from these new drives. Frankly, I doubt I'd benefit much from replacing my six 'old' Raptors by three brand new Velociraptors. Splitting up libraries over several smaller Raptor drives may boost streaming performance too, so this should be taken into account as well.

Nevertheless, it would be nice to have the entire QLP library on one single 2.5 inch drive. Maybe Nick should consider shipping QLP on a Velociraptor, since it would save a lot of DVDs and a lot of installation time! :)

One more request for Nick: it would be nice to have my QLP Velociraptor drive encased in amber instead of that silly heatsink encapsulation! :D

- Jerome Vonhögen

dexterwheeler
04-21-2008, 06:06 PM
will these drives work for mac pro 8?

BillyD1953
05-02-2008, 12:00 PM
My guess would be that six 150GB Raptors would do about as well or better than three 300GB Velociraptors. You can put the 270GB QL Pianos library on the new 300GB Velociraptor, but as you fill the disk up your performance is likely to suffer.

A.Leung
05-02-2008, 12:34 PM
will these drives work for mac pro 8?

nope. It has non- standard configured SATA port locale.

You CAN squeeze it into your optical drive area as the mac pro has 2 Spare internal SATA ports but that actually defeats the purpose of having a four drive backplane.