PDA

View Full Version : will this work for extra storage on Mac pro 8

dexterwheeler
04-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi guys I wanted to know if this will work for mac pro 8?

http://http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Stardom/ST76104SS2/ (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Stardom/ST76104SS2/)

i would use this to put platinum bundle. one section for each drive.

A.Leung
04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi guys I wanted to know if this will work for mac pro 8?

http://http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Stardom/ST76104SS2/ (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Stardom/ST76104SS2/)

i would use this to put platinum bundle. one section for each drive.

u copied the link incorrectly.

should be:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Stardom/ST76104SS2/

sure thatll werk. make sure u dont fill up the drives completely. try and keep 40% free on each drive.

dexterwheeler
04-22-2008, 10:40 PM
thanks for the quick reply. But the mac pro 8 doesnt come with a esata port does it? So what do you think of this hard drive setup

1) 320 gig for logic pro 8 and os
2) 500 gig for symphonic choirs
3) 500 gig for RA and colossus

And the external esata encloure to have platinum on 4 seperate drives

A.Leung
04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
thanks for the quick reply. But the mac pro 8 doesnt come with a esata port does it? So what do you think of this hard drive setup

yeah it does sort of...

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/678

buy that. take apart you computer and install it...

dexterwheeler
04-22-2008, 11:00 PM
thanks for the find. would you recommend having those 4 drives setup as raid 0?

A.Leung
04-22-2008, 11:00 PM

Sounds like overkill but gets you room to grow I guess. Choirs, Colossus and RA together are around 84 gigs of space total so you have plenty of room...

dexterwheeler
04-22-2008, 11:06 PM
would i be better of installing platinum on one 750 gig 7200 rpm and 32 mb caches drive? And spend the extra money on more ram.

A.Leung
04-22-2008, 11:13 PM
would i be better of installing platinum on one 750 gig 7200 rpm and 32 mb caches drive? And spend the extra money on more ram.

No the idea is to have the samples streaming from separate drives. Especially with your orchestra stuff since you probably have a crap load of strings playing at the same time doubled with a crap load of winds followed by boat loads of Brass. So keeping BRASs, strings, winds, etc separate makes sense.

dexterwheeler
04-22-2008, 11:16 PM
thanks again for all the insight. But is it okay to have RA/Colossus and choirs on the same drive?

A.Leung
04-22-2008, 11:19 PM
thanks again for all the insight. But is it okay to have RA/Colossus and choirs on the same drive?

Well personally - I'd put Colossus off on its own since its a 'swiss army knife' sort of sampled set. Youll probably being using ALLOT of that in your mix - meaning multiple tracks galore.

dexterwheeler
04-22-2008, 11:22 PM
now on a mac u need kontakt 2 or higher to use EWQL so do I install that on each seperate drive where the ochestra is?

A.Leung
04-22-2008, 11:26 PM
now on a mac u need kontakt 2 or higher to use EWQL so do I install that on each seperate drive where the ochestra is?

No you instal K3 on one drive only. Some folks use the main system drive. Others put it somewhere else... Your choice.

dexterwheeler
04-22-2008, 11:31 PM
would saving music projects on external usb or firewire drives be bad?

A.Leung
04-23-2008, 12:00 AM
would saving music projects on external usb or firewire drives be bad?

you don't really want them on your system drive. USB or FireWire is fine. FireWire of course will open faster. You can archive your projects on separate drives as well, disconnect them from your FW daisey chain and lock em up somewhere for a rainy day or to retrieve if dissaster strikes.

dexterwheeler
04-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Question for Allan Leung. If you have the following software how would you split it up with only 2 computers, 1 mac pro and Pc as slave?

-symphonic choirs
-RA
-Colossus
-Platinum
-spectrasonics atmosphere

P.s I would like to keep as much as I can on the Mac

A.Leung
04-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Question for Allan Leung. If you have the following software how would you split it up with only 2 computers, 1 mac pro and Pc as slave?

-symphonic choirs
-RA
-Colossus
-Platinum
-spectrasonics atmosphere

P.s I would like to keep as much as I can on the Mac

Oh maybe keep Atmosphere on your slave. Also if your slave is a PC and not a mac just keep all software that is available ONLY as VSTs on the PC.

dexterwheeler
04-24-2008, 06:32 AM
i thought atmosphere requires you to drag things into your sequencer. So wouldnt keeping it on a slave be problematic? Also Im not sure which softwares are vst.

A.Leung
04-24-2008, 06:52 AM
atmosphere does not have anything to drag to sequencer. But as mentioned before to you awhile back you could try everything on your mac at first and give it a run. If need be you can always reinstal on another computer if needed.

dexterwheeler
04-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Allan,

Sorry for the questions. It's just the esata extender cable can only hold 2 external drives and I need 4 to put platinum. Their are other options I know but it seems as the extra expense to install more drives I could better spend the money on a slave machine.

im hoping this setup will work. If you see any problems and perhapes a different way to install the softwares let me know please

Mac pro 8
- 2.8 ghz
- 8 gigs ram
- 320 gig hard drive for ( os, Logic studio and K3)
- 300 gig hard drive for { Veloci Raptor } ( Symphonic Choirs + RA + Colossus )
- 500 gig hard drive for { 32 mb cache } ( Platinum Strings )
- 500 gig hard drive for { 32 mb cache } ( Platinum Woodwinds )
- {Esata Extender cable} 2x500 gig hard drives, 32 mb cache for ( platinum brass & percussion )
- 500 gig hard drive for ( saving music ) western digtal my book firewire 400 connection

A.Leung
04-24-2008, 02:38 PM
I dont have any problems with the set-up you have there.

Please understand I am not trying to DISCOURAGE you or others from using a slave set-up. I DO believe even with todays technology it is THE BEST way to go. Especially in your case because your mixing MAc with PC so you get the BEST and ALL of both worlds. The only reason I might come across as cautious for some people is because when dealing with a network for some it can be daunting. Think what has to happen in a successful network.

1.) You have to have a way to to monitor all the slaves from the host. That requires some form of remote access. So what does one do? THere are free remote access programs out there, AND there are top of the line to be purchased ones like Apple remote desktop and everything in between. Which one to get? What will instal and work properly on both MAc and pc? Do you have some network skills? Will you be able to successfully set-up the network? What do you really wish to accomplish with your network? Do you want to be able to drag and drop files from one computer to the next? Do you want a mouse that scrolls across the screen and disappears from one monitor and appears on the next? (lol - we get some clients that still freak out at that one when they see the mouse cursor traveling over like 6 monitors)

2.) MIDI must travel back and forth from slaves to master. That means getting and setting up properly a program like MidiOverLAn. There are lots of settings in cetrain MOL programs that can be very finicky. Getting everything to talk to each other takes time.

3.) AUDIO must go to and from the slaves or at least FROM the slaves and into your host. That means you need to know basic signal paths and something about compatibility issues between audio cards, platforms, and sequencers. Imagine getting into setting up a network when one really doesnt even know the basics of ones own SEQUENCER!

Now these are just the main issues to contend with. So if I suggest to run everything on one computer its because I want you UP and running tomorrow. And MAKING music the next day.

*But if you go into your challenge well armed and with some good basic understanding of how things work then by all means jump in.*

(Last tip) What really helped me was doing a flow chart on paper that showed signals going to and from machines/ soundcards/routers, etc and it helped me plan what I really wanted and UNDERSTAND what it was I was doing so when it came time to trouble shoot I had a basic grip on where the problem/hangup was coming from. Get creative. Use different colored markers for different signals, RED for audio/ blue for Midi, violet for any ethernet stuff, etc.

Best of luck!

dexterwheeler
04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks Allan you've been a big help.

Lois
04-25-2008, 03:33 AM
Invaluable advice there Allan, thank you as I have just upgraded to Plat Pro too, and not being a tech expert I'm feeling really out of my depth.

Hi dexterwheeler, so if the eSATA option won't work for the full orchestra, then can I ask about your set up in more detail?

Mac pro 8
- 2.8 ghz
- 8 gigs ram
- 320 gig hard drive for ( os, Logic studio and K3)
- 300 gig hard drive for { Veloci Raptor } ( Symphonic Choirs + RA + Colossus )
- 500 gig hard drive for { 32 mb cache } ( Platinum Strings )
- 500 gig hard drive for { 32 mb cache } ( Platinum Woodwinds )
- {Esata Extender cable} 2x500 gig hard drives, 32 mb cache for ( platinum brass & percussion )
- 500 gig hard drive for ( saving music ) western digtal my book firewire 400 connection

In particular, why have you chosen to put the brass+perc on the faster (I think) Esata hard drive rather than the strings for example?

Also which of the drives are internal/external? And (being a total dummy) I gotta ask are the external ones firewire?

Cheers