PDA

View Full Version : External hard Drive

Shadow_jdct
04-23-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm planning to take advantage of the awesome sale and get a couple more libraries from East West. In order to make room for the new libraries I'm going to purchase a 500 gig external hard drive in order to store/back up all the sonic information. This will also enable me to transport the libraries to other computers, I hope. What I'm wondering is this: is there a disadvantage in actually accessing the libraries over a USB connection like an external drive would use? Is performance in accessing the files that much slower, and if so what are my alternatives? I already have two internal drives so I'm pretty sure I'm out of room in there. One of my friends said that fire-wire might be faster than USB, if indeed it would be a problem.
Thanks in advance.
Shad

Ranger
04-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I assume you have a Mac if so you can add more internal drives up to five

http://www.g5drivebracket.com/

MellotronGhost
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
stay away from usb!

firewire or better yet esata would be do the trick. have a look at solutions by wiebetech - with a raid 1 system you also would have an automatic backup.

A.Leung
04-23-2008, 03:34 PM
You dont say what 'puter u have but if its a MAc Pro and your out of Hard drive options theres hidden inside 2 eSata connectors. OPen up the machine and follow instructions from this site:
http://macenstein.com/default/archives/678

It's THE cheapest alterantive out there. Takes a little mechanical skill and elbow grease but well worth the benefits...

dexterwheeler
04-23-2008, 07:00 PM
So if I get the esata extender cable How many drives can I connect? Also can I install the extra drives in a regular computer case?

Shadow_jdct
04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Hey thanks for your responses, I'm pretty much set on an eSATA drive now. I'm glad I asked first.

A.Leung
04-23-2008, 11:42 PM
So if I get the esata extender cable How many drives can I connect? Also can I install the extra drives in a regular computer case?

Well from the picture it looks like you get TWO ports out of it. If you connected ONE drive to ONE port that gets you TWO drives.

Sec. question: Yes you can buy standard esata drive enclosures...

Remember these drives are NOT hot swappable and their really more like Internal/external drives more so than anything else. (would that make them ieSata drives?) :D

chlady
05-14-2008, 06:28 AM
I just ordered a sata pci card and sata external enclosure for my G5. So does that mean the external sata drives do not need to be ejected? They just need to be turned on before powering up and shutting down the mac?

A.Leung
05-14-2008, 10:46 AM
you are correct sir.