PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running platinum on one HD?

rainmain
04-23-2008, 11:38 PM
I know multiple hard drives are best for platinum, I'm just curious what kind of performance people get who run it on one drive?

Awful? Acceptable? Somewhere inbetween? Curious what the difference is.

Pietro
04-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Somewhere between awful and bad ;) Really.

- Piotr

A.Leung
04-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Somewhere between awful and bad ;) Really.

- Piotr

That would be 'Badful' me thinks...

persentio
04-24-2008, 05:47 AM
I'm running it on 1 Raptor and its ok. But the reason is because I don't do orchestrations. At the most, I'll have 2 patches of each library running in a single session.

Vatroslav
04-24-2008, 07:19 AM
I know multiple hard drives are best for platinum, I'm just curious what kind of performance people get who run it on one drive?

Awful? Acceptable? Somewhere inbetween? Curious what the difference is.

Well, I can offer my short experience with Plat on one drive a year and a half ago.

First of all, it all depends, of course, on the drive's specs. I was pushing Platinum on a 7200 rpm 8MB (the cache size is hardly the standard for sequential disk streaming anymore).

From what I can collect, I was pleasantly surprised, but of course there were walls that could not be jumped over no matter what I did.

Unfortunately, I was doing only mellow pieces with that drive (it was that kind of project), so I really can't say much, but then again fast pieces like the one for the x64 performance report can never be executed from one drive anyway, so I was lucky to have scored that kind of story, I guess.

The important thing to know is that Kompakt player that comes with Platinum sections allows you to raise both DFD settings to 0.84MB, so if have have lots of physical memory space and a sufficient amount of processing resources, you will be able to do much more from a single drive than if you don't.

I deliberately didn't want to change anything while I was mockuping that score, so I left it at "Normal" settings (Medium Polyphony / Medium Memory - 192 kB / 384 kB) and with most of the tracks from the score, I was able to bounce to final audio mixdown without pops and clicks after three or four continuous, consecutive runs.

And, again, this was with only 8MB cache and 1GB RAM.

Most of the pieces were at or around Andante 80 bpm, the number of simultaneous note events I don't think ever went over 20 at any time (which is not a lot, so you could say that the number of simultaneous voices never crossed a 100).

And this was all with frequent custom harp glissandi throughout, mind you.

All RTs were on, no sample editing was used whatsoever.

And this doesn't matter, but it was SATA I, not II (again, doesn't matter, there was no bandwith jam, but still).

And, again, this was all with default streaming settings (I was on a very weak machine).

So, my guess is (and ONLY my guess ;)) with loads of RAM and a huge cache register, you might be able to do wonders with Platinum on a single drive (still within limits, of course).

If anyone's interested, you can hear one of the mockup pieces from that score here (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=687262&songID=5215651), that's all one drive. Three runs were needed for a clean, artefact-free playback.

Hope this helps. :)

rainmain
04-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Hope this helps. :)

You always help Vatroslav. :D Love the piece!

Thanks folks, I'd never heard from the other side of fence on this one.