PDA

View Full Version : To Partition or not Partition? (That is the question!)

Jim Curits
04-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I have just upgraded my PC to 4GB of Ram,

Today I have just installed new drives.
I now have an 80GB IDE Drive, partitioned 20 / 60GB running Windows, and running my programs on the 60GB partition.

Which leaves a 320GB IDE drive, which I am going to dedicate to audio?

And 2x500GB internal SATA drives, which I am going to dedicate to my samples.
(Just bought StormDrum2 and Goliath, which I am going to place on separate Sata drives, and hopefully upgrade from Gold XP Bundle to Platinum Bundle and split this onto the 2 Sata drives)

Q1 Does the above formula sound good in regards to the set up for my East West Gear.

Q2 Should I be partitioning any of these drives or should I leave them at their maximum capacity?

Any feedback gratefully received... ;)

Dannthr
04-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Personally, I prefer unpartitioned, if I can have both a separate system and program disk and storage disk.

But if you don't have the extra drives, then partitioning is good for one major thing:

Protecting your saved files from system corruption.

If you have to reinstall, you might as well not reinstall over all your data.

Otherwise, I wouldnt' do it.

Vatroslav
04-25-2008, 01:20 PM
I have just upgraded my PC to 4GB of Ram,

If it's a x32 system, make sure you LMA it and LaaTiDo all your apps. ;)

Today I have just installed new drives.
I now have an 80GB IDE Drive, partitioned 20 / 60GB running Windows, and running my programs on the 60GB partition.

Without a separate app drive, this is a good thing, especially with IDE drives.

Otherwise, thou shall not partition the drives in an audio system. ;)

Which leaves a 320GB IDE drive, which I am going to dedicate to audio?

Good idea, just don't run the two IDE drives on the same data channel.

And 2x500GB internal SATA drives, which I am going to dedicate to my samples.
(Just bought StormDrum2 and Goliath, which I am going to place on separate Sata drives, and hopefully upgrade from Gold XP Bundle to Platinum Bundle and split this onto the 2 Sata drives)

Q1 Does the above formula sound good in regards to the set up for my East West Gear.

Unfortunately, unless the number of simultaneous voices in your work always stays very low, two drives will hardly be enough for Platinum, especially if the others libs will streamed from the same drive at the same time too.

This goes even for 10 000 rpm.

Q2 Should I be partitioning any of these drives or should I leave them at their maximum capacity?

Leave them at their maximum capacity. :)

Jim Curits
04-25-2008, 01:47 PM
If it's a x32 system, make sure you LMA it and LaaTiDo all your apps. ;)
:)

Thanks for the tips Guys,:)

Vatroslav it is a x32 system please could you elaborate on the above statement.;)

Vatroslav
04-25-2008, 02:01 PM
http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/23/memory-management-demystifying-3gb.aspx

http://www.vfxpedia.com/index.php?title=FAQ/3GB_Switch

http://orchetect.com/a_64bit/index.php#RAMissue

In order to have your apps go all the way to 2.7GB, you need to LMA your OS and then LaaTiDo all of your apps (those that are written to be able to see more memory space).

But be sure to read through all of the above three articles. ;)

Jim Curits
04-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks for that Vatroslav, I enjoy a good read;)

Jim Curits
04-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Good idea, just don't run the two IDE drives on the same data channel.

:)

Vatroslav. I have just ordered 2 x ATA 100 IDE (high density 80-way cable) to replace the standard ATA 33 40 way Cable.

As this cable is better shielded, it should help in speed transfer slightly.

My question is, there is only about 5 inches between the connections on all of these cables, making it difficult to place the drives / CD rom in the correct place near each other so the cables fit thus making the 2 IDE drives on separate data channels...any ideas?

chest
04-26-2008, 04:27 AM
there is only about 5 inches between the connections on all of these cables, making it difficult to place the drives / CD rom in the correct place near each other so the cables fit thus making the 2 IDE drives on separate data channels...any ideas?
Jim, do you mean that, if you plug two cables into the different HD drives, the other connectors on the cables won't reach the CD-ROM drive? - Would it be OK just to use a short extension cable from one of the connectors to the CD-ROM drive?

A few years ago, I read that you shouldn't put a CD drive on the same IDE chanel as a HD drive - something to do with restricting the flow of data to/from the HD. Is/was there any truth in that? And does it matter where one HD is for the OS/programs and the other for samples?

Jim Curits
04-26-2008, 04:37 AM
Jim, do you mean that, if you plug two cables into the different HD drives, the other connectors on the cables won't reach the CD-ROM drive? - Would it be OK just to use a short extension cable from one of the connectors to the CD-ROM drive?

A few years ago, I read that you shouldn't put a CD drive on the same IDE channel as a HD drive - something to do with restricting the flow of data to/from the HD. Is/was there any truth in that? And does it matter where one HD is for the OS/programs and the other for samples?

Hi Chest thanks for the response, yes basically to go with Vatroslav's advice it would mean 1 CD DRIVE on the same channel as an IDE hard drive. Then repeating for the other CD DRIVE and IDE drive. I would have to seriously rearrange my drives to try and get the cables to reach.

Didn't know you purchase extensions?

Also I will Google a bit more about your statement about reading it's not a good idea to put a CD DRIVE on the same channel as a HD...I just want to get the best specs possible whilst I am upgrading everything.;)

Jim Curits
04-26-2008, 04:54 AM
Just looking at my motherboard specs, which say:

NOTE: Do not connect an ATA device as a slave on the same IDE Cable as a ATAPI master device. For example, do not connect an ATA hard drive as a slave to an ATAPI CD-ROM Drive.

Now does that mean make both the IDE HARD-DRIVES as master on separate channels?

Jim Curits
04-26-2008, 05:08 AM
And does it matter where one HD is for the OS/programs and the other for samples?

One is for OS, and the other is for audio, I have 2x500GB SATA's for my sample libraries.