PDA

View Full Version : 2 monitors or 1 big LCD

dexterwheeler
04-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Just a quick question what would be better 2 monitors or 1 32-36" LCD tv for mixing and recording EWQL?

TheAlps
04-25-2008, 11:25 PM
I may be wrong but I dont think you get any realistic resolution to run computer aps on a TV, even the big plasmas really are not conducive to working with computer apps. But go to the store you intend to purchase from and try them out, see how you like it. I am a spoiled brat with a 30" apple cinema display and 2 19" viewsonic monitors at my desk. If I had to choose the 2 19" monitors over a TV i sure would. Tho if I had to choose the 2 19" or the 30" apple cinema I would probably go with the apple cinema, its just so amazing

dexterwheeler
04-25-2008, 11:30 PM
thanks for the info. But is their a need to have 2 screens over 1?

benwalken
04-26-2008, 02:45 AM
2 monitors is the minimum you should consider for a professional setup, you definitely need lots of viewing space for comfortable and easy sequencing/notating.

If you are using sampler's (ex: GigaStudio) or a lot of plug-ins, then I would highly recommend 3-4 monitors + a Video Display.
(1x OR 2x for sequencer, 1x Sampler & Plug-ins. 1X Mixer & control panel)

personally I prefer 22'' or 24'' displays (wide-screen of course) over 30''+, it has a better and sharper resolution, but I have to admit the apple 30'' cinema, looks tempting.

Ben

chest
04-26-2008, 04:43 AM
2 monitors is the minimum you should consider for a professional setup, you definitely need lots of viewing space for comfortable and easy sequencing/notating.

If you are using sampler's (ex: GigaStudio) or a lot of plug-ins, then I would highly recommend 3-4 monitors + a Video Display.
(1x OR 2x for sequencer, 1x Sampler & Plug-ins. 1X Mixer & control panel)

personally I prefer 22'' or 24'' displays (wide-screen of course) over 30''+, it has a better and sharper resolution, but I have to admit the apple 30'' cinema, looks tempting.

Ben
Ben, do you mean separate monitors are better than one giant monitor because you'll never (for instance) cover up the sampler display with the sequencer? Also, I suppose that, with two or more monitors, they can be angled towards you better than one giant screen?

benwalken
04-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Ben, do you mean separate monitors are better than one giant monitor because you'll never (for instance) cover up the sampler display with the sequencer? Also, I suppose that, with two or more monitors, they can be angled towards you better than one giant screen?

The amount of monitors and positioning, are completely dependent on your studio setup. For me, %80 of my samples are giga formats, that's why I need to have a monitor dedicated for GigaStudio, it gives a better overall view of loaded articulation, MIDI channels, etc...

You can have the monitors side by side with a curve or angle, middle as a sequencer, the sides as a sampler and a mixer.

I used to work on a single monitor for sequencing, but since I added the second, you wont believe the difference it made. Personally, I can't see myself on a single monitor anymore, even if it's 50"LCD.. What makes multiple monitors interesting, is not the display size, rather its partitioning and separating each application or plug-in(s) by having its own space...

dexterwheeler
04-26-2008, 07:59 AM
but couldnt you just minimaze 2 different windows and put them side by side on a big 32" and get the same effect as two small monitors?

Andrew Sigler
04-26-2008, 08:24 AM
I am a spoiled brat with a 30" apple cinema display ...

Oh man, those are so sharp...

Dannthr
04-26-2008, 09:01 AM
How about two large LCD monitors? ;)

Every time I score a film, I wish I had two monitors, otherwise, I only need one.