PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to help me configure my HDs?

rainmain
04-28-2008, 06:17 PM
So this week I'll pretty much be staring at the door waiting for the UPS guy to bring me my new Sonica Audio Labs PC. For all those who helped me make the computer decision - THANK YOU. I ended up choosing the Sonica computer for the cost efficiency and nothing else. I had originally planned on a 2 computer setup - but the system below was just more cost efficient.

While I'm waiting, I thought I might try to figure out the best HD setup for me. Here's what I've bought (all thanks to the promo!) - EWQLSO Platinum, Gypsy, RA, Choirs, MoR, and Colossus. I've also got the Galaxy II Pianos to install.

So here's the specs on the system -

XP x64 OS
Dual Xeon E5420 (8-core) 2.5 Ghz, 12MB L2 Cache
5 500 GB HDs, 7200 rpm, 32 mb cache
16 GB Ram
RME HDSP 9632 Audio Interface

With 5 HDs (and more if I REALLY needed), I'm debating how to set up the libs I've got. Most people say 1 section of Platinum on 1 HD... BUT, with only 5 HDs that means this setup, right?

HD 1 - Platinum Strings/Gyspy
HD 2 - Platinum Brass/MoR
HD 3 - Platinum Perc./Choirs
HD 4 - Platinum Woodwinds/Colossus/RA

HD 5 - System

I've paired the light use libs with the heavy use ones (based on the styles I plan to write), heavy being Strings, Brass, Choirs, and RA... with the others being used for flavor.

The other option would be to keep Platinum libs together -

HD 1 - Platinum Strings/Platinum Woodwinds
HD 2 - Platinum Brass/Platinum Perc.
HD 3 - Mor/Gypsy/RA
HD 4 - Choirs/Colossus

HD 5 - System

Thoughts? Thanks for reading all this!

A.Leung
04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
So this week I'll pretty much be staring at the door waiting for the UPS guy to bring me my new Sonica Audio Labs PC. For all those who helped me make the computer decision - THANK YOU. I ended up choosing the Sonica computer for the cost efficiency and nothing else. I had originally planned on a 2 computer setup - but the system below was just more cost efficient.

While I'm waiting, I thought I might try to figure out the best HD setup for me. Here's what I've bought (all thanks to the promo!) - EWQLSO Platinum, Gypsy, RA, Choirs, MoR, and Colossus. I've also got the Galaxy II Pianos to install.

So here's the specs on the system -

XP x64 OS
Dual Xeon E5420 (8-core) 2.5 Ghz, 12MB L2 Cache
5 500 GB HDs, 7200 rpm, 32 mb cache
16 GB Ram
RME HDSP 9632 Audio Interface

With 5 HDs (and more if I REALLY needed), I'm debating how to set up the libs I've got. Most people say 1 section of Platinum on 1 HD... BUT, with only 5 HDs that means this setup, right?

HD 1 - Platinum Strings/Gyspy
HD 2 - Platinum Brass/MoR
HD 3 - Platinum Perc./Choirs
HD 4 - Platinum Woodwinds/Colossus/RA

HD 5 - System

I've paired the light use libs with the heavy use ones (based on the styles I plan to write), heavy being Strings, Brass, Choirs, and RA... with the others being used for flavor.

The other option would be to keep Platinum libs together -

HD 1 - Platinum Strings/Platinum Woodwinds
HD 2 - Platinum Brass/Platinum Perc.
HD 3 - Mor/Gypsy/RA
HD 4 - Choirs/Colossus

HD 5 - System

Thoughts? Thanks for reading all this!

Your first set-up looks better to me. I would keep platinum orch spread across the drives. I would NOT have strings and woodwinds together. Smart move keeping Percussion with Choir as well. Your first set-up looks the best fro streaming samples and should keep samlpes from stepping on each others toes the best.

IMHO of course.

Cheers and enjoy your new set-up!

rainmain
04-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Many thanks Allan!