PDA

View Full Version : platinum on 4drives with Raid 0?

dexterwheeler
05-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Im gonna install platinum across 4 different drives. Should I set this up as raid? If so how do you guys usually set it up?

Pietro
05-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Yet better, install each section on separate hard drive. This is what I did, and I'm very satisfied.

But there are some people with successful raid 0 story.

I had my tragical story a year ago (almost lost everything!), and I'm not going to go back to raid 0 for a while...

- Piotr

dexterwheeler
05-01-2008, 02:38 PM
sounds good thanks for the tip. What type of hard drives did you use?

Pietro
05-01-2008, 03:17 PM
First I had 2x250GBSATAII (16MB cache) in Raid0 (but I didn't have Platinum then, just Gold).

Now I have those 2x250 separately, plus 80GB (8MB) + 160GB (16MB) and 500GB (32MB) all SATAII.

Platinum on 4 largest drives, other libraries spread as well.

- Piotr

dexterwheeler
05-01-2008, 07:02 PM
So should i buy drives with 32 mb cache for platinum? It seems only drives 500 gigs and up have that. I thought smaller drives would be faster.

A.Leung
05-01-2008, 07:11 PM
So should i buy drives with 32 mb cache for platinum? It seems only drives 500 gigs and up have that. I thought smaller drives would be faster.

Pietro probably bought drives when they were expensive?

Pietro
05-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Actually, larger drives are faster, as the head of the drive, doesn't have to do such a distance, when jumping between large files.

Also, I think, that cache size doesn't matter so much anymore.

- Piotr

dexterwheeler
05-01-2008, 07:28 PM
thanks Pietro. So should I buy 500 gig drives for platinum?

A.Leung
05-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Keep drives large enough so that you have at least 60% free at all times.

dexterwheeler
05-01-2008, 07:42 PM
so I could get away with 250 gig drives and still have plenty of space. So the 32 mb cache is not really needed?

damoy
05-20-2008, 03:47 AM
Will Platinum stream adequately from 2 drives (SATA 7200RPM)? Or do I need to split the library across 4 drives?

Pietro
05-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Well, the more drives, the higher banwitdth of streaming data, and more different samples from different sections can be accessed at the same time.

It doesn't really matter if you have 1 or 4 drives if you are only doing one section at a time, but it does make a difference when running all 4 sections in one huge project.

If you are not heading for something huge at the moment, try 2 drives, and then, if you feel you need better, buy another one or two.

- Piotr

damoy
05-21-2008, 03:30 AM
Yeah, I don't do a lot of huge orchestral projects so maybe I can get away with 2 drives. Well thanks for the input!

nikolas
05-21-2008, 03:50 AM
As far as I know, RAID won't really help you. RAID works faster in random searching, but if you try to defragment your hard disk with the samples, you'll see they are continous, so there's not much gain in RAID.

That's one.

Second. 7200 rpm is not exactly really fast. Platinum (bundle I assume) is 138 GB, which could very nicely spread between 2 drives, but is this ALL you will use? I mean, you may get teased into the QL pianos which are something like 260 GB! Why not have a bit more?

Third. I have 7200 rpm, and the truth is that it depends on what you write. On slow passages and 2 GB of RAM, and a 2.8 GHz single core, I can git around 40 midi tracks, with little trouble. If I pick up the pace and start using all of them, fast passages, or mod patches, then the midi tracks fall to 20 raughly. This is the hard truth. DFD will run well, but if you push it... then your hard disks will crumble!

My own philosophy (to which the above is based pretty much) is to buy one time for a relatively long time. If I am to spend any time, I need to go as far as I can and keep it for a few years. I got some $3000 monitors, with the same idea in mind. You can't really spend a bit more money to get better, you need to spend A LOT to get better (which I couldn't afford, that's for sure). Same with computers. I already have 200 GB filled in my hard disks and I've not bought anything for the past year or so. When I get a new computer, I'll put what's out there, without trying the newest technology really (I'm not a geek of beta testing for companies with my own money).

Either way, my long long long reply to a simple question! :D

(BTW, if you already have the computer, no question at all, keep it for as long as you can! No doubt there)