PDA

View Full Version : QL Pianos performing better with external drive than with a Raptor???

BillyD1953
05-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I recently purchased two Western Digital drives in an effort to improve my QL Pianos performance. Originally the samples and the system and programs were all on the same drive and that drive was almost full. I installed a WD Raptor 150GB (SATA 1.5Gb/s) drive and also an external Firewire 400 WD MyBook Premium Edition II 1TB (2 x 500GB) RAID 0 drive. I left both new drives empty except for the QL Pianos Steinway D instruments and samples. With my old set up I was getting decent results with one mic perspective and some convolution reverb unless I let the sustained polyphony pile up. I still eventually get that result to some extent with the new drives, but it seems like the external drive is performing better than the Raptor. I had not expected that at all. In any case, according to the indicator in the QL Pianos program, it is the CPU that keeps maxing out when I start getting crackles and dropouts in the sound. My CPU is a single core 3.2GHz Intel. I'm running XP32 with 4GB (3GB effective) RAM. Anyone have any ideas why an external drive would outperform a Raptor? Could it be the RAID 0 that's helping? That would contradict many other Forum threads which indicate that RAID should not help when streaming many small files, as in a VI sample library like EWQL Pianos. I'll double-check with more testing but at this point that's the result I seem to be getting.

likecmposr
05-05-2008, 01:52 PM
I am very curious about this also since I am trying to congigure a system for QL Pianos based on recommendations from the forum.

genosmiles
09-18-2009, 06:59 AM
I am very curious about this also since I am trying to congigure a system for QL Pianos based on recommendations from the forum.
Yes I am also. I've got QL Pianos working well (e.g. Bosendofer with all three mic positions loaded and mixed) on a two drive internal SATA RAID0 combo - 2 Seagate 750gb (32mb cache) but that leaves a lot a GB room left and I'm afraid to put anything else that would be used concurrently together with QL Pianos. I'd rather have a dedicated drive or array just for the Pianos. I'm going to try a 2 drive RAID0 using two Seagate 250GB Barracudas (sp?). I've also played with a single drive setup. All work good, but I'm looking for maximum responsiveness and headroom.

I'm tried QL Pianos on two internal Velicoraptors (150gb) in RAID0 now. With all the pianos installed only @ 14GB left. "Red lines" Windows 7 drive display and I can't go there. I didn't think of leaving one of the libraries out till you mentioned it. II've also been using HD Tune and I've been doing a lot of Google searches. Not much out there except "Mommy says RAID0 = BAD!" Maybe so. Random Access Times aren't helped but read throughput and file reads are. More actual research required IMHO.

Johnny_B
09-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I recently purchased two Western Digital drives in an effort to improve my QL Pianos performance. Originally the samples and the system and programs were all on the same drive and that drive was almost full. I installed a WD Raptor 150GB (SATA 1.5Gb/s) drive and also an external Firewire 400 WD MyBook Premium Edition II 1TB (2 x 500GB) RAID 0 drive. I left both new drives empty except for the QL Pianos Steinway D instruments and samples. With my old set up I was getting decent results with one mic perspective and some convolution reverb unless I let the sustained polyphony pile up. I still eventually get that result to some extent with the new drives, but it seems like the external drive is performing better than the Raptor. I had not expected that at all. In any case, according to the indicator in the QL Pianos program, it is the CPU that keeps maxing out when I start getting crackles and dropouts in the sound. My CPU is a single core 3.2GHz Intel. I'm running XP32 with 4GB (3GB effective) RAM. Anyone have any ideas why an external drive would outperform a Raptor? Could it be the RAID 0 that's helping? That would contradict many other Forum threads which indicate that RAID should not help when streaming many small files, as in a VI sample library like EWQL Pianos. I'll double-check with more testing but at this point that's the result I seem to be getting.

Why is your Velociraptor 1.5Gb/s? Shouldn't they be at 3.0Gb/s?

Also, you have only installed one piano, correct?
If so, this (may be) why you are seeing better performance.
I noticed my Bosendorfer load up almost immediately on one of my 300GB Raptors.

Currently I have the entire library on one VR, and it takes some time before I can hit a note.

I hope you are on to something with the Raid setup!

Dannthr
09-18-2009, 01:41 PM
A WD Raptor is not a WD Velociraptor.

A.Leung
09-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Watch out for jumper blocks. An unseen jumper can mean the difference between 1.5 and 3.5