PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade from 32x to 64x

Jim Curits
05-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I've upgraded my system a lot over the last few weeks in preparation for the Play Engine:

By adding:

New Hard drives: 2 X 500GB sata, 1x 320GB IDE
More Ram (4GB)
Cubase SX 2.2 to the latest Cubase 4
East West Goliath and SD2.

Over the last 2 weeks Cubase 4 and my Play products have not worked well together and have left me frustrated at trying to fine tweak my system to stop glitches / spikes and freezes.

I'm beginning to realize, I'm a bit limited for power with the Play products as my O/S is:

Windows XP SP2, home Edition (32bit with the 3GB switch and Laatido for my programs)

Would I benifit by switching to 64 bit vista?

Any advice would be great!;) (I just want to make music:()

TheAlps
05-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I just rebuilt the first of my 2 gigastudio pcs to 64 bits to support GS4 release. It went fairly smooth and I am now able to really open gigastudio and load it up! Here is what I ended up with, mostly parts from my old 32 bit machine and some purchased:

OS: Windows XP Professional x64. I had some weird issues on install 1st go around. And I had some crashes when I use Internet Explorer 32 bit version. It supplies both in x64 and the desktop icon from desktop setup is to the 32 bit version, so I took away the icon from the desktop and start menu and the 64 bit IE seems to have no issues

MB: Asus P5N-E SLI (tho I have SLI disabled, not gaming here, only GS4)
I disabled the onboard sound and installed the latest 64 bit nvidia nforce drivers

CPU: Intel Core Duo 2.8

RAM: 4 gigs of OCZ DDR2 800 1 gig sticks. (Incidentally I tried 8 gigs of 2g sticks but this computer threw a hissy fit and I had to downgrade to 4 gigs /cry, maybe when I move my 2nd machine over ill get a newer MB and make sure i can get 8g out of it)

Hard Discs: I have a mish mash of discs that I didnt replace. I reformatted my old C drive which is a standalone 80g 7200 rpm seagate IDE disc. Then I have 2 SATA drives which have been RAID 5 since GS2.5 days, again 7200 RMP discs totaling 400g space, then I have another SATA 350g and a SATA 500g in there, all 7200 rpms If I ever redo the discs Ill get raptors but for now i will work with what i got ;-)

Video: Asus EN8400 GS Silent (Geforce 8 series) was very cheap like $70 and still decent enough to give me nice dual monitors for giga editing ;-)

Sound: RME HDSP 9652 w/ latest GSIF 2.1 drivers

MidiOverLAN 3.2.6

This is obvious not the latest greatest machine available but it is reasonably fast and solid. So far everything seems to be working well, tho I havent really loaded the snot out of it yet

ewkarl7777
05-06-2008, 06:57 PM
What do you hope to get by switching to Vista64?

I'm about to get a new dual-boot xp32/xp64 system. I want xp64 so that I can use more than 4gb of ram.
If you're only planning on using 4gb, I don't know that you'll gain much.

I have heard of people successfully using Vista64, but my understanding is that it's a bit of a memory hog - which is not what you want if you're after more memory.

Whether you go with XP64 or Vista64, make sure that any hardware or software you want to use will run on it.

A.Leung
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM

I'm about to get a new dual-boot xp32/xp64 system. I want xp64 so that I can use more than 4gb of ram.

I have heard of people successfully using Vista64, but my understanding is that it's a bit of a memory hog - which is not what you want if you're after more memory.

Whether you go with XP64 or Vista64, make sure that any hardware or software you want to use will run on it.

stay as far away from vista as you can.

Jim Curits
05-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the advice Guys...so how would I go about getting a dual-boot xp32/xp64 system?

TheAlps
05-06-2008, 10:45 PM

As far as my 64 bit machine with 4 gigs ram, its night and day from xp 32 bit, but that is more specifically the GS4 app. WOW used to get about 1.5 gigs of ram loaded with giga, now sky is the limit, well about 3.5 gigs with 4g ram. Its dedicated to GS tho.

But really the only other realistic option is 8g in pc land... unfortunately unlike Mac if you want to break 8 gig limit in 64 bit windows land you have to buy into very expensive server hardware, for instance the motherboard that supports 64 gigs of ram for PC is like 600 bucks just for the mboard. I tried to go 8g of ram on this first machine but the P5N-E SLI board had some issues with 2g sticks at 800 mhz, the only QVS listing for 2g sticks asus listed for that MB is at 677 mhz. And I really didnt want to slow down my front side bus for more capacity. I think when I spend some time getting comfy with GS4 I will make a new sexpot machine for xp 64 to really get some use from the 64 bits

persentio
05-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the advice Guys...so how would I go about getting a dual-boot xp32/xp64 system?

You can view this Microsoft Knowledgebase page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896455/en-us). States the problems you might face as well as how to create a dual boot for XP32 - XP64.

ewkarl7777
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
"...so how would I go about getting a dual-boot xp32/xp64 system?"

I'm about to order mine from custom DAW builder, Jim Rosenberry, who is highly recommended by folks on the Cakewalk/Sonar forum. I've seen nothing but good things said about him and his systems.

www.studiocat.com email: jim@studiocat.com

[Disclaimer - I have nothing to do with Jim or studiocat.]