PDA

View Full Version : Sample Drive settings!

Jim Curits
05-07-2008, 04:11 AM
I've just been looking at my sample-drive (2 x SATA Samsung 500GB) settings,

Q1 Should "Enable write caching on these disks" be ticked or unticked?

Q2 Should you allocate any page file settings to these drives, or should it just be your O/S drive that is used for page filing purposes??

persentio
05-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Taken from Sweetwater's PC Optimization Guide:
(http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/detail.php?Index=30058)
Write Caching

Write caching, or write-behind caching, is a technique that keeps a small amount of data in a cache prior to writing it to the disk. While normally a good thing, performance can be increased by writing data directly to the hard drive, in essence bypassing the cache. Practically speaking, adjusting this will allow your audio to be written immediately to the hard drive, improving speed while recording. To set this, go to the Device Manager by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting "Manage" and then "Device Manager." Click on the "+" next to "Disk Drives." Right-click on a drive and choose "Properties," then "Policies." Uncheck the box that says "Enable write caching..." and press "OK." Repeat this for all of your hard drives.

I have also read somewhere to disable Page File settings on the hard drives.

Hope that helps!

Jim Curits
05-08-2008, 06:08 AM
Write Caching

Write caching, or write-behind caching, is a technique that keeps a small amount of data in a cache prior to writing it to the disk. While normally a good thing, performance can be increased by writing data directly to the hard drive, in essence bypassing the cache. Practically speaking, adjusting this will allow your audio to be written immediately to the hard drive, improving speed while recording. To set this, go to the Device Manager by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting "Manage" and then "Device Manager." Click on the "+" next to "Disk Drives." Right-click on a drive and choose "Properties," then "Policies." Uncheck the box that says "Enable write caching..." and press "OK." Repeat this for all of your hard drives.

Hope that helps!

Cheers for that Persentio, one small tweak can make all the difference..;)

persentio
05-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Glad it helped ya! :)

kstevege
05-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Write Caching

Hope that helps!

Thank you

V o n h ÷ g e n
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Cheers for that Persentio, one small tweak can make all the difference..;)

I can't see why disabling cache writing on your "sample drive" would make any difference at all. Remember that you are supposed to read from your sample drive, not write to it! :rolleyes:

Should you allocate any page file settings to these drives, or should it just be your O/S drive that is used for page filing purposes??

I would never use any of the drives holding your samples for the purpose of page filing. Again, you should read data from your sample drives, not write data to it. On an avarage Windows XP machine, one single page file, available on just one of your drives should do, preferably a fast one that's not being used by the os.

You mean disabling page filing completely? I would strongly advise against this (at least with Win XP). Frankly, I don't think it's wise to give this kind of advice on the basis of having "read something somewhere". It's just too important to many fellow forum members. Since there is sˇ much knowledge to be shared here, let's try to make it as reliable as possible, shall we? A poor hardware advice of one careless forum member could easily lead to poor purchase decisions of another forum member, which is a waste of time and money.

Keep in mind that there are quite a few people here, who earn a substantial part of their living with virtual music production. I mean, this is not some kind of gamers-geak-forum where a sudden computer crash as a result of some bad advice will actually help individual forum members, in a sense that, now that they won't be able to 'game' for a while, they will have a perfect opportunity to restore their long neglected social life! :D

- Jerome Vonh÷gen