PDA

View Full Version : Anyone making music with Play+Cubase 4.1.3.853?

Jim Curits
05-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm curious to know if anyone is making serious music with Play (Goliath+SD2) + Cubase 4.1.3.853?

And if so what's your O/S specs.

On my XP-SP2 (4GB-with 3GB switch) (32BIT) system, Play and Cubase 4.1.3.853, are about as compatible as an ash-tray on a motorcycle.

Play losing its sound!
Mixer presets vanishing from my very eyes!:confused:
If I dare to change my latency in Cubase for my Emu 1820M sound card, I can see the Play engine waving at me before it does a David Copperfield and vanishes.

It does not help that the freeze function in Cubase 4.1.3.853, could not freeze the tail off a penguins arse.:D

I'm having better results with Cubase SX 2.2.

Anyone having stability with SX 3? This I would like to know and would seriously consider buying and using until C4, has had some serious cosmetic surgery.;)

I know people will say your specs are low and upgrade blah blah blah, but after 2 weeks of constant tests and tweaks, I honestly think Play and Cubase 4.1.3.853 are no match made in heaven...yet!:rolleyes:

And yes I have all the latest Play updates!

ps I don't want great products like Goliath + SD2 becoming dust collectors in my studio!:eek:

Pietro
05-07-2008, 02:23 PM
My system is Intel Q6600, 8GB (I'm on 64bit XP about a week, so let's say I know my 32bit XP-SP2 with 3GB switch very well), Cubase 4 Studio (the same engine), latest update.

Play 1.0.056 works fine for me, but with some problems like using CC7 affects main volume, when reloading project, hopefully, resolved in the next update.

Play losing its sound!
Explain.

Mixer presets vanishing from my very eyes!:confused:
Explain again :)

If I dare to change my latency in Cubase for my Emu 1820M sound card, I can see the Play engine waving at me before it does a David Copperfield and vanishes.

If you change your soundcard's latency, PLAY will have to reload samples, and will use more RAM, so it could crash your Cubase.

It does not help that the freeze function in Cubase 4.1.3.853, could not freeze the tail off a penguins arse.:D

Freeze never worked for me with anything, so I don't touch it. Fortunately, with 64 XP I don't really need to.

Ah, and I use MOR, SD2 and VOP. The first two most extensively.

- Piotr

Jim Curits
05-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Play losing its sound!
Explain.

The ewi I could be using at the time, for no reason will not play (no sound) upon reboot of Cubase 4, sound is restored!

Mixer presets vanishing from my very eyes!
Explain again

After a Cubase freeze or Play freeze / or stutter, I look at my mixer stereo out settings and some effects settings has disappeared!

Thanks for the reply Piotr, and I understand where you are coming from as regards to changing my latency in Cubase...;)

Forgot to mention Play is still crashing Cubase 4 when you click on "Always On Top" on a Play browser window!

chest
05-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Anyone having stability with SX 3? This I would like to know and would seriously consider buying and using until C4, has had some serious cosmetic surgery.
Jim, just to be sure ... you do know that your C4 license permits you to use SX3 (ie the dongle will let you use it)? So if you can get the SX3 installation disks by any method - eg borrowing them - you can install and run SX3. I believe you can also download the necessary installation files(?)

Jim Curits
05-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Jim, just to be sure ... you do know that your C4 license permits you to use SX3 (ie the dongle will let you use it)? So if you can get the SX3 installation disks by any method - eg borrowing them - you can install and run SX3. I believe you can also download the necessary installation files(?)

Hey Chest, I did not know that...cheers for the tip, anybody got any usable SX 3 discs?;)

Jonathan Kranz
05-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Jim,

You didnt mention your specs... Have you sent us a support ticket?

-Jonathan

Jeff Hayat
05-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Hey Chest, I did not know that...cheers for the tip, anybody got any usable SX 3 discs?;)

<<looks around>> umm, nope. :cool:

Your computer's CPU is not that different from mine. You have a Pentium 4 3 GHZ chip; I have a 2.4 P4. The same chip - single core - minus some speed - but not much in the world of the DAW.

The same exact thing happens to me with Kontakt - loss of sound once my CPU usage hits around 40%. It would have to be a project with many MIDI chs - a few won't do it, but if i try playing enough chs simul, it happens. Single core. Yep.

Funny, my inquiries of "will PLAY be more efficient, or will it use the same amount of CPU cycles as Kontakt" have been ignored - this seems to answer that question.

Cheers.

riot68
05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
I am a new EW user - just installed Platinum, Fab4 and Min of Rock - boy have I got some issues! Firstly I basically cant use Platinum Orch because of the MacIntel/Kompakt compatibility issue. OK, so I thought I might try the other products in Cubase 4.1.2.851 (latest version) to get some joy from the thousand bucks I've just forked out. Boy was I a fool - If I try to run anymore than one single instance of Play Cubase crashes immediately. So its back to the age-old game of trawling the net for other users who have also had their fingers and wallets burnt yet again.
For the record I have a modest system, but I am not trying to get a whole orchestral setup out of it - just six or so monophonic instances would be fine.,
iMac 2.16/2gig/OSX 10.4.11/Cubase 4.1.2.851/M-Audio 410/Samples on ext FW800 drive