PDA

View Full Version : Maximum ram in motherboards?

GtrJazz
05-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Does anyone know any good motherboards that can handle 64 gigs of ram? I would like to build a Pc in a few months similar to the vision daw. And do I need to have 8 cores to use such motherboards?

persentio
05-07-2008, 11:14 PM
You could try ASUS Motherboards. Here's an AMD Motherboard http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=9&l2=39&l3=174&l4=0&model=1351&modelmenu=1 and Intel Motherboard http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=9&l2=39&l3=299&l4=0&model=2147&modelmenu=1 that supports up to 64GB. There may be other models available. Just run a search.

For 8 core compatibility, make sure that in their Specifications they explicitly state support for up to 8 cores (Or 2x Quad cores). You don't necessarily have to use 8 cores for such Motherboards. A single quad core should be enough.

TheAlps
05-08-2008, 12:11 AM
You will need to go to intel server motherboards, and they are pretty pricey around 600+ just for the mboard. I dont recommend AMD for digital audio. Here are some boards to consider:

http://www.intel.com/products/server/motherboard/index.htm?iid=mbd_body+sv_all

Keep in mind that assuming a 64 bit system, that amount of RAM will not help you really past 8 gigs or so, there will be other bottlenecks.

A.Leung
05-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Does anyone know any good motherboards that can handle 64 gigs of ram? I would like to build a Pc in a few months similar to the vision daw. And do I need to have 8 cores to use such motherboards?

8 gigs is what you should consider Max for motherboards at this time and place.

GtrJazz
05-08-2008, 06:49 AM
8 gigs is what you should consider Max for motherboards at this time and place.

Is their a reason for not using more than 8? Besides the fact most softwares can't handle that yet except for play.

TheAlps
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
because of the bottleneck of hard drives and processors - you cant really load more than 8 gigs of sounds and have a hard disc setup or processors that will support that amount of throughput

GtrJazz
05-08-2008, 09:05 AM
thanks for the info. So in a way installing more than 8 gigs of ram on a mac pro 8 is also pointless?

TheAlps
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
yea - tho if you have like an 8 core and apps that really support the 8 cores and a whole buttload of hi speed drives (like the 4 that fit in the mac and an eSATA expansion with a few there) you might get use from more ram. But what apps support multi core? How many of those apps do you use?

GtrJazz
05-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I will be using platinum orchestra/Ra/Colossus/VSl standard edition and eventually some of the play software. I was thinking of getting a slave pc for the vienna stuff since it works through ethernet. should I get 4 gigs of ram or 8 for the pc. And I guess a quad core cpu should be enough. I hope.

A.Leung
05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
thanks for the info. So in a way installing more than 8 gigs of ram on a mac pro 8 is also pointless?

Not pointless on the MAc Pro. I'd go 16 gigs of Ram for that. [sorry cant remember if your on Logic Pro?] but the exs24 can utilize lots of ram and its super efficient. We run all (well - I should say MOST) of the Vienaa library on that and weve gotten Exs24 to see 8 gigs of RAM recently.

GtrJazz
05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
thanks Allan. yes I will be using logic. So for the extra esata drive I can just put the vienna standard edition on until I get a slave pc? I would like to compose say around 24 -32 tracks using ewql, Vienna and later voices of passion and other play software. Is this just wishful thinking?

A.Leung
05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
thanks Allan. yes I will be using logic. So for the extra esata drive I can just put the vienna standard edition on until I get a slave pc? I would like to compose say around 24 -32 tracks using ewql, Vienna and later voices of passion and other play software. Is this just wishful thinking?

No - not wishful thinking. You'll have a very powerful machine to work with. Most of what your talking about using should run very efficiently on the Mac. We have not purchased any PLAY products yet so I can't advise you on the efficiency related to those but if you follow the threads on the forum I'm sure you'll get some idea of what some are experiencing.

Cheers and have FUN with you set-up!

GtrJazz
05-08-2008, 03:26 PM
thanks again Allan. I also read you use a motu 2408 on the mac pro. Does this unit allow for instruments to be plgugged in?

A.Leung
05-08-2008, 03:31 PM
thanks again Allan. I also read you use a motu 2408 on the mac pro. Does this unit allow for instruments to be plgugged in?

Yes- the Motu MkII's have lots of IN and OUTS. (24 i think) we use 4 of those but for you that might be overkill. You have choices of analoge and digital lite pipe and one set of Spdifs.

Depending on how much you want to attach to the unit the new MK3's will probably work just great and if you want a good sound card that comes with the 424pci from MOTU.

GtrJazz
05-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I was just woried because I;ve heard a lot of people having problems with motu. I would go rme but they r twice the price. good to knowyour not having any troubles with the unit.

kstevege
05-09-2008, 09:45 AM
because of the bottleneck of hard drives and processors - you cant really load more than 8 gigs of sounds and have a hard disc setup or processors that will support that amount of throughput

That is interesting however I would a second opinion.

Nothing against A.Lueng but I really miss LEX for these types of questions. Don't know about A/Luengs credentials yet.

kstevege
05-09-2008, 09:45 AM
How about this for using more than 8 gigs ram?

http://www.shop-sonica.com/pd-hushqxr.cfm

likecmposr
05-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Nothing against A.Lueng but I really miss LEX for these types of questions. Don't know about A/Luengs credentials yet.

Well- A.Leung helped me build a really killer system for me and if not for his advice I would have been in serious trouble. If I needed help I'd ask again!

My 2 1/2 cents worth.

A.Leung
05-09-2008, 12:26 PM
glad its all werkin for ya David. Did you get the Logic environment/template update I sent you?

likecmposr
05-09-2008, 02:48 PM
glad its all werkin for ya David. Did you get the Logic environment/template update I sent you?

Hi Allan,

Yes I did. It is working great. I would like to add to the environment. I did get one chance to thank you but I tried Rivate messaging you and it didnt go through?

Thank you so much. The environment realy makes life easier for me since I come from a Cubases world of thngs!

A.Leung
05-09-2008, 02:58 PM
O sorry - I need to free up some mail box space.