PDA

View Full Version : Lose s/w registrations through swapping HDDs?

chest
05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Me paranoid? No, just careful. -- Who said "Yes"? I'm sure I heard someone behind that bush say "Yes".

--

Because of a problem with getting a PC to work with WXP SP2 installed, I'm wondering whether to do some experimenting with a new HDD temporarily replacing the current one that has the OS partitions on it.

It seems to me that, when I reconnect the original HDD, the PC ought to carry on as if nothing had happened since the HDD was taken out. - Correct? Or am I missing something?

(1) If I leave the PC's existing second HDD connected, is there anything that could either (a) be written to the second disc such as to adversely affect the PC's continued operation when the original OS disc is reconnected? or (b) be written to the temporary OS drive such as (through its absence) to cause harm to the second drive when the original OS disc is reconnected? For instance, could either the WXP system-recovery s/w or any records maintained by Norton System Works get "out of synch" between the OS HDD and the second HDD? This all seems to me to be unlikely or impossible, because otherwise the same problem could have arisen every time the PC was booted into a different OS partition (on the same HDD).

(2) WXP on the temporary drive will probably allocate different drive letters to the partitions on the second HDD (ie not the ones that the current OS partitions use). Could this in any way lead to harming the data on the second drive?

(3) When the original OS drive is back in the PC, could the PC by any mechanism "know" that the OS drive had been temporarily replaced?

(4) Is there any possibility at all that this changing of discs could cause any software registrations (eg NI, EW, Microsoft) to get lost? I'm assuming all the details are on the OS drive and will be unaffected by its temporary removal. - Correct? - Ie nothing can be put on the second HDD by the OS on the temporary drive, and subsequently discovered by the OS or any software on the original drive, and then lead to the invalidation of registrations?

(5) Is there any way that WXP on the original HDD could "know" about the HDD changes and conclude that the PC had changed too much for WXP still to be regarded as a legitimate installation?

(6) Do any of the answers to these questions depend on whether the OS partition on the temporary drive is cloned from one on the current drive or freshly created?

--

That time I DEFINITELY heard a sound behind that bush. I know there's someone there, but I won't let them know that I know - that's the way to keep your edge. Oh, I shouldn't have told YOU that. And I shouldn't have said that I shouldn't have told you. You're in on it as well, aren't you. Of course I don't expect you to ADMIT it. They NEVER admit it.

persentio
05-09-2008, 12:38 AM
It seems to me that, when I reconnect the original HDD, the PC ought to carry on as if nothing had happened since the HDD was taken out. - Correct? Or am I missing something?
-It might boot from the second HDD. Just to be safe, you have to manually enter your BIOS and set the Boot Priority for your HDDs so that your computer boots from the original HDD first.

(1) If I leave the PC's existing second HDD connected, is there anything that could either (a) be written to the second disc such as to adversely affect the PC's continued operation when the original OS disc is reconnected? or (b) be written to the temporary OS drive such as (through its absence) to cause harm to the second drive when the original OS disc is reconnected? For instance, could either the WXP system-recovery s/w or any records maintained by Norton System Works get "out of synch" between the OS HDD and the second HDD? This all seems to me to be unlikely or impossible, because otherwise the same problem could have arisen every time the PC was booted into a different OS partition (on the same HDD).
If you boot from the original HDD, your second HDD would just appear as another disc volume in "My Computer". It can be modified in any way as usual. (Writing files to it, etc.) If your recovery system settings get 'confused' after the change I believe you can simply configure them again.

(2) WXP on the temporary drive will probably allocate different drive letters to the partitions on the second HDD (ie not the ones that the current OS partitions use). Could this in any way lead to harming the data on the second drive?
It will not harm the data whatsoever; but applications such as PLAY might get mixed up and not be able to find the samples for example. Simply point PLAY to the correct directory if prompted with a "Samples not found" error message.

(3) When the original OS drive is back in the PC, could the PC by any mechanism "know" that the OS drive had been temporarily replaced?
I don't really understand the crux of this question; the PC will just boot from the current priority HDD's OS if any.

(4) Is there any possibility at all that this changing of discs could cause any software registrations (eg NI, EW, Microsoft) to get lost? I'm assuming all the details are on the OS drive and will be unaffected by its temporary removal. - Correct? - Ie nothing can be put on the second HDD by the OS on the temporary drive, and subsequently discovered by the OS or any software on the original drive, and then lead to the invalidation of registrations?
Your NI-powered libraries will not be affected whatsoever as once your registration is complete your product will be fully operational from that point on.

Your PLAY libraries will also not be affected as long as your iLok containing the licenses is plugged in and recognized by your computer.

Microsoft *MIGHT* prompt you to re-activate Windows because of hardware changes. If they do, I believe the activation process is quite simple so just follow through. You might get an error saying you have maxed out your activation. If so, choose the "activate by phone" option, call up Microsoft support and they will go through a rather painful process of authorizing your copy of Windows by a "Challenge" and "response".

(5) Is there any way that WXP on the original HDD could "know" about the HDD changes and conclude that the PC had changed too much for WXP still to be regarded as a legitimate installation?
Yes; but since you are adding only a new Hard Disk it shouldn't. If it does I have explained the process above.

(6) Do any of the answers to these questions depend on whether the OS partition on the temporary drive is cloned from one on the current drive or freshly created?
If you do a clean OS installation you would have to reformat your Hard Disk; so I recommend you clone your Hard Disk.

I hope I answered your questions because I can't really make out the crux of some.

chest
05-09-2008, 05:47 AM
I hope I answered your questions because I can't really make out the crux of some.
Thanks, persentio.

Your answers give me reasonable confidence that a trial installation of WXP SP2 on a new drive - temporarily put in place of the current one with the OS partitions on it - is unlikely to create severe problems (such as needing to re-register audio software and other applications) if/when the original HDD is replaced. Although it would be a nuisance if I did have to re-activate WXP, that doesn't look serious enough to stop me giving this a try.