PDA

View Full Version : audio interface for mac pro

GtrJazz
05-08-2008, 08:32 PM
What would be a good audio interface for mac pro 8? I need it to be able to record guitar/bass/midi but never at the same time so I wont need a lot of instrument inputs. I would also like it to be able to connect to a future pc slave. I know motu and fireface 800 is good but a little expensive for me now.

jologman2000
05-08-2008, 10:52 PM
What would be a good audio interface for mac pro 8? I need it to be able to record guitar/bass/midi but never at the same time so I wont need a lot of instrument inputs. I would also like it to be able to connect to a future pc slave. I know motu and fireface 800 is good but a little expensive for me now.

do you mean logic pro 8? a buddy of mine uses a motu traveller for his 8-core mac pro with logic pro 8. it's pretty good for the price.

regards.

persentio
05-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Try the Apogee Duet.

GtrJazz
05-09-2008, 07:39 AM
do you mean logic pro 8? a buddy of mine uses a motu traveller for his 8-core mac pro with logic pro 8. it's pretty good for the price.

regards.

Yeah I plan on using logic studio which i guess has logic pro 8 in it.

luke.richards
05-09-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm using an Apogee Duet with a Mac Pro and Logic 7 and it's great - the onboard sound on the latest Mac Pros is very nasty so this was a great investment! Integration with Logic 8 is meant to be very good.

GtrJazz
05-09-2008, 08:20 AM
does the Apogee Duet allow instrument and midi connections? And will I be able to hook up another pc slave using spdifs?

luke.richards
05-09-2008, 08:54 AM
It has two instrument connections and two midi - check out http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php

likecmposr
05-09-2008, 12:15 PM
My neighbors had nothing but problems with the duet. In fact when I looked online I saw lots of DOAs. Went with MOTU and never .been the happier for that.

GtrJazz
05-10-2008, 09:10 AM
so whats the difference between 2408 and the mk3? Is the 2408 better because it is hooked up via pci card? So I assume that would mean better latency than firewire. Because for the price of the apogee and other units I can get a rme card, but I guess I cannot plug a guitar/bass right into the pci card becuase a preamp is needed.

Michael Naz
05-10-2008, 10:03 AM
The Duet is an awesome piece of gear for the price. The preamps are excellent, on par with stand alone one channel pres that are in the same price range. But you only have two I/O, and no S/PDIF or MIDI. I use an M-Audio USB MIDI box, and you can use the Mac's on-board optical digital connection (it's only two channel though).

Another thing to keep in mind is that with the RME you'll need some kind of monitor controller if you want to be able to control volume with a hardware knob.

Early on there were issues with the Ensemble and Duet related to Apple's firewire driver that they rely on. Those have been resolved for a while and the Duet is running rock solid on a new Mac Pro 2.8 here.

luke.richards
05-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi Michael - you say that the firewire issue has been resolved with the Duet on the new Mac Pros - where can I get this fix - I still get kernel crashes when trying to wake my mac from sleep - not the biggest problem but annoying still (the crashlogs point to firewire drivers causing the problems)

thanks

A.Leung
05-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Michael,

I dont have the answer to your question (I hope someone does) but i noticed you mention 'mac sleep mode' in your post. I dont know (maybe you are) aware but Mac Sleep modes causes havoc with all kinds of audio software. I've been on many a Logic tech help calls to peoples homes where 'sleep mode' was the culprit time and time again.

GtrJazz
05-10-2008, 03:45 PM
the Apogee Duet would be great but I wont be able to hook up a Pc slace. What do you guys think about presonus stuff? it seems as if they are in a reasonable price range.

DarkIVI
05-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Why don't look at the TC Electronic Konnekt 24 D (http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=11055).
It's great interface with some awesome DSP FX's on it, and besides that also a great plugin-pack.
Seriously, this card works wonders. Take a look ;)

Niels

GtrJazz
05-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Why don't look at the TC Electronic Konnekt 24 D (http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=11055).
It's great interface with some awesome DSP FX's on it, and besides that also a great plugin-pack.
Seriously, this card works wonders. Take a look ;)

Niels

Thanks but will this support logic pro 8?

DarkIVI
05-11-2008, 10:14 AM
I honestly don't know why it shouldn't...but I never thought about it.
I'll try and check it out.

Edit..hmm your right. I've read about issues with the drivers of TC on Leopard system.
I found this forum along the way, maybe it helps http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7176964

Good luck with your choice ;)

Niels

GtrJazz
05-11-2008, 12:36 PM
finding a rather cheap interface for the mac pro seems to be very hard.

A.Leung
05-11-2008, 12:44 PM
going 'cheap' on an audio interface is not recomended. A good quality higher end (you Dont HAVE to spend a fortune) audio interface is a good idea. Lower cost solutions end up being a weak link in a VERY important chain.

GtrJazz
05-11-2008, 02:53 PM
would a firewire intrerface cause bad latency?

GtrJazz
05-11-2008, 07:42 PM
I wish I could use t.c electronics konnekt 8 because i found one for 150. I've just read it doesnt have the right drivers but the comments on the forum were 6 months old if not more. Anybody know if the konnekt 8 will work on mac pro using logic studio?

DarkIVI
05-11-2008, 11:10 PM
I've seen a set-up with a alu iMac (intel Leopard system) and the konnekt 24D.
It should work. More over I found that the drivers they were talking about (the one with the problems) are old drivers. Now they already have version 2.1, and the problems occurd with 1.03 if I remember correct.

Here is the TC Driver history (http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/Konnekt_version_history.pdf)

If your considering konnekt 8....I would save up for the 24 D because they have some really good DSP effect with it and a large (800 dollar worth) really cool plugin pack comes with it.

But if you look to save some money take a look at the desktop konnekt 6 from tc.
Seriously, these interfaces have a great sound.

Here's also the comparison chart (http://www.tcelectronic.com/konnektcomparison.asp)

Hope it all helps a bit. Anyway the drivers shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Niels