PDA

View Full Version : Can I connect an Alu iMac to a G4/G5

DarkIVI
05-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi all,

I've been searching this forum like a madman...but I understand very little what's posted here :(
Anyway, I own a Alu iMac and want to pump the performance through connecting another mac to it.
But the question is "will an intel iMac connect to a "less" mac like a G5 or even a G4".

Thanks for your time.

Niels

A.Leung
05-09-2008, 12:11 AM
when you say connect what do you mean? For what purpose? Are you trying to use the iMac or g5 as a 'target disc'?, node? Secondary hard drive/ backup?, slave?

DarkIVI
05-09-2008, 12:15 AM
oohhh...now that's already a hard question (haha, man I'm a noob)
I will try to explain what I think I want ;) because you lost me already haha
I would like connect two (or more) macs to let them work as one computer, so that my iMac can use the processor power of the G4/G5.

I hope this is more clear.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Niels

A.Leung
05-09-2008, 01:11 AM
oohhh...now that's already a hard question (haha, man I'm a noob)
I will try to explain what I think I want ;) because you lost me already haha
I would like connect two (or more) macs to let them work as one computer, so that my iMac can use the processor power of the G4/G5.

I hope this is more clear.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Niels

Still pretty vague. I'll tell you why. Without knowing how it is you work or plan to work its difficult to advise you. In other words if someone came to me and said, "Look I have two Macs, one iMac , another one is an older second generation G5. I use Logic Pro 7 on the G5 and was wondering if I could use the iMac as a 'node' device to take off some of the burden of my G5's struggling processor. IS this even possible?" Then I could advise them on what to do and how to do it.

Anyways - I'll take a stab at this: First off to really get any use out of an ETHERNET type connection between two computers (If THATS your goal) and usually thats what folks do in music situations is connect two computers via ethernet, I would say in a G5/G4 situation its rather bleak and the reason IS in order to run a successfully fast and reliable ethernet connectoin you would need at least a gigabit ethernet set-up on both computers and to my knowledge many G4's lack that. But IF you DID have a gigabit ethernet port on both systems you could network those two computers together and depending on software you have onboard each computer you could theoretically use one computer to 'help out' the other.

Honestly though and I'm not trying to discourage you but iMacs are lacking many bits of hardware that keep them struggling in a higher ended Pro music world. And G5's are getting, well, dated to the point where the highest end G5 just cant come NEAR the low end MacPro computer.

DarkIVI
05-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Hey Allan,

Thanks for the answer, it get's a bit clear now.
Yes, I would use the g5 to help out the iMac. I understand that my set-up isn't optimal for this and that's it's better to save some money to get me a next gen power mac :)
Well anyway, it would be possible to do what you said in your post: ethernet connection. But is it worth € 800,- (hmm 500 dollars) to buy a g5 and try this or would you say "Dude, stop kiddin'yourself and save up".

Thanks for the help.

Niels

A.Leung
05-09-2008, 01:41 AM
I would honestly save up. Put the money towards todays technology. I'll tell you why. Even with a high end G5 your going to wonder why your having so many problems with todays software. The Intel machines are just soooo fast and efficient.

I feel your pain. I know sometimes you want more and need a quick fix and feel maybe getting that 5 year old machine is the way to advance yourself in the audio world of 'higher track counts' but ultimately I think you would be prolonging your frustration with a G5 rather than an Intel machine.

Your musics good. Your music deserves the best. You dont have to spend 3, 4,5, or 6 thousand (us) dollars on an Intel machine either. You can look for a dual Mac Pro 2.66 Intel used and that machine will cook. It will smoke out any G5 and will run a LOT smoother any of the newer audio softwares including the newer stuff east west has to offer.