PDA

View Full Version : Get Rid of Indexing Service...yes or no?

Jim Curits
05-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi I'm currently tweaking XP SP2 and I've just read this statement below...can anyone confirm this?

Get Rid of Indexing Service

Indexing Service is a totally useless service that eats a TON of your resources [yes, Microsoft made a mistake, but didn't have time to 'write it out', imagine that!]
Getting rid of it will give you a very noticable boost in performance, and your system will run much more smoothly due to the extra resources you'll have.

Double click on My Computer (desktop icon)
Then right click ON THE DRIVE ICON, then click on Properties and uncheck the box (at the bottom) that says: "Allow Indexing To Index This Drive For Fast File Searching", then click on Apply
Confirm Attribute Changes (window) will pop-up
click ~ Apply changes to [drive]:\, subfolders and files
hit OK
[if another pop-up pops up saying something about not having permission - just click on Ignore All and it will start]
Applying Attributes to:(window) will pop-up un-indexing all your files, this will take a few minutes.

[repeat for all drives you may have]

Now, Click on Start > Administrative Tools > Services
find Indexing Services ~ double click on it
Indexing Service Properties (Local Computer) will pop-up
in the middle you'll find Startup type:
choose Disabled
restart computer

Now you have gotten rid of the biggest resource waster in XP!

[note] this may not work if you compressed your drive! Don't compress your drives (once you compress, you can't un-compress without re-formatting) ~ hard drives are big enough now that you should never have to worry about running out of space. If your worried ~ get a bigger drive or manage your system better.

(As always, please make a System Restore Point before you do this in the unlikely event that something goes wrong)!

kstevege
05-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Agreed. Good info.

XGener8or
05-20-2008, 09:50 AM
I've always done that :)

MPDmike
05-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Yes, I followed the instructions and got rid of indexing. I was expecting some amazing change in the response from my machine, but I didn't really notice any difference at all. Perhaps I shall have to wait and see what improvements there are at some point when I am doing something in Cubase.

FinnArild
05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
One and one "tweak" in it self does not yield much improvement. It is firstly the combination of all the tweaks in getting rid of unnecessary ram spent for services you don't need/want to use - then there's the fact that you don't want some of these services firing off in the middle of an amazing performance from whoever you are recording.

I wish someone would make a competitive recording platform on Linux soon (what I've tried so far sucks). Linux is tweakable to the extreme!