PDA

View Full Version : 2 Part Question- 76 or 88? "Studiologic VMK"

Imagine
05-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey guys,

For orchestral type music, do you guys prefer 76 or 88 keys? Are the lower and higher end keys ever used?

Also, does anyone have the Studiologic VMK-176 or VMK-188 keyboard, and how do you like the key action?

Thanks!

Ranger
05-09-2008, 03:59 PM
If money is not the object go for the 88 keys. (better to have more than less)

Imagine
05-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Money's not the object. I'm trying to have it so that the 76 key version will fit in my Argosy console by removing the arm-rest. It will fit, but I was just wondering if those playing on a 76 note keyboard are missing the extra keys.

Martin Hines
05-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey guys,

For orchestral type music, do you guys prefer 76 or 88 keys? Are the lower and higher end keys ever used?

If you can play the piano then you can use the "extra" keys.

There are some sample libraries that use the lowest keys on an 88-key keyboard for "keyswitching", but that is the only reason I can think of except the different keyboard action, piano (88) versus synth (76).

Imagine
05-09-2008, 07:23 PM
I thought the Studiologic VMK 176 and 188 both had the same Fatar GRAND TOUCH graded hammer action.

dcoscina
05-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Be careful about the VKM series. WHile they are purported to have outstanding touch, they do not have a traditional mod wheel that makes it difficult to use the DXF patches on EWQLSO. I use those settings all of the time as I find it more realistic to ramp up the volume or expression using that controller rather than velocity. However, the VKM does have programmable sliders which would suffice in place of the mod wheel I suppose.

OneThrow
05-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Be careful about the VKM series. WHile they are purported to have outstanding touch, they do not have a traditional mod wheel that makes it difficult to use the DXF patches on EWQLSO.

Looking at their web site, it uses a joystick for combined pitch bend and modulation. Presumably pitch bend L/R and modulation up/down or the other way round.