PDA

View Full Version : Sample drives - deleting libraries - fragmentation? - inefficiencies?

chest
05-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Being a bit short of technical knowledge about file storage, I don't know what is and isn't good practice - what ought to be avoided and what's OK - when managing sample libraries on disc. On the one hand, I want to avoid doing things that will slow down the retrieval of sample data during playback, but on the other hand, I don't want to waste my time doing pointless things in an attempt to keep the discs organised for efficiency.

So I have a few queries...

--

On a PC NTFS drive, what happens, under WXP, to the way stuff gets stored after you delete files? Does the space made available by deleting files get used BEFORE or AFTER unused areas of the drive?

I ask because I'm putting sample libraries on a new external drive. I started by copying everything from an old external drive. I presume this process must fill the new drive "neatly"(?) - ie no fragmented files and (by and large) the strings together, etc, and with the files in an order determined by the original DVD - because the files went on the old external drive by dragging from the DVDs. Soon, I'll be installing some new libraries from the DVDs (including those from the anniversary promotion).

I'm wondering what happens if I install a library and later delete it from the original drive - either before or after further files have been added. Is this a recipe for getting subsequently added sample files either fragmented or separated from the rest of the library (leading to more head travel during sample playback)? (That wouldn't happen if the space from the file deletion was ignored until there was no previously-unused space left.)

If deleting will cause the disc space to be filled in an irregular way, would it be better (if there was enough space) not to delete the files - either just leave them there, or perhaps rename the folders in the event that you later install an updated version of the library?

What happens if you delete a library from the middle of a fairly full disc, and then defragment the disc? - What does that do the the order of the files on the drive? - Can it adversely affect the time needed to access the samples? Ought you to be able to instruct the defragmenter just to push the files closer together so as to use up the freed space, without changing the order of the files?

--

Or does stuff like this simply not matter? - Should I just install and de-install libraries as and when I want to, and not be concerned about where the files are actually being placed on the drive?

persentio
05-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Dude, you are thinking WAY too much

A.Leung
05-11-2008, 03:15 AM
general rule ive ever followed is never defragment where AUDIO files are concerned. (its not April so I know this post issnt an April fools question) hmmm. I amseeing a strange trend in unusual posts lately.

kstevege
05-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Dude, you are thinking WAY too much

I'm laughing because I think the same way. These thoughts about moving sample files and the effectit may have fragmentation have crossed my mind as well. If I do suffer from OCD I must admit it serves my profession well (Attorney)

persentio
05-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Sorry was feeling cranky when I posted; I'll try now:

On a PC NTFS drive, what happens, under WXP, to the way stuff gets stored after you delete files? Does the space made available by deleting files get used BEFORE or AFTER unused areas of the drive?
- I have no idea how hard drive storage works; but note that deleted files leave some 'fragments' here and there which can be recovered. I don't know how much space these files actually take up nor if new files can overwrite them.

I ask because I'm putting sample libraries on a new external drive. I started by copying everything from an old external drive. I presume this process must fill the new drive "neatly"(?) - ie no fragmented files and (by and large) the strings together, etc, and with the files in an order determined by the original DVD - because the files went on the old external drive by dragging from the DVDs. Soon, I'll be installing some new libraries from the DVDs (including those from the anniversary promotion).
- They *might* be rearranged into different fragments because the protocol as well as the brand / type of Hard drives used are different. Again, I am assuming and have no definite answer. Even if they are in a different order, it should not affect your files drastically at all.

I'm wondering what happens if I install a library and later delete it from the original drive - either before or after further files have been added. Is this a recipe for getting subsequently added sample files either fragmented or separated from the rest of the library (leading to more head travel during sample playback)? (That wouldn't happen if the space from the file deletion was ignored until there was no previously-unused space left.)
- If this is an issue for you, I suggest that you install your libraries on as dedicated drives as possible; ie no other files stored except your specific library for each hard drive, and then leave another drive specifically for the OS.

If deleting will cause the disc space to be filled in an irregular way, would it be better (if there was enough space) not to delete the files - either just leave them there, or perhaps rename the folders in the event that you later install an updated version of the library?
-You could do that if you have storage space to spare. However you do need about 10% of the total capacity free for leeway and caching. So if you do hit that mark, there's no choice but to delete your old files.

What happens if you delete a library from the middle of a fairly full disc, and then defragment the disc? - What does that do the the order of the files on the drive? - Can it adversely affect the time needed to access the samples? Ought you to be able to instruct the defragmenter just to push the files closer together so as to use up the freed space, without changing the order of the files?
- It can affect disk seek times; but not adversely. Sadly the defragmenter just does what it thinks is best. There's no way I know of to configure how the disk defragmenter works. You can try though. Move your sample files onto another HDD, defrag, then move your sample files back, defrag again if you wish, and see if there's noticeable performance increase.

--

Or does stuff like this simply not matter? - Should I just install and de-install libraries as and when I want to, and not be concerned about where the files are actually being placed on the drive?
- As with my first reply, personally I feel it does not matter unless you are clogging your hard drives with too many libraries. The best thing to do again would be to have as many dedicated drives as possible to eliminate these concerns.