PDA

View Full Version : Halle-bloody-lujah...Play Problem Solved!

Jim Curits
05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Halle-bloody-lujah

For 2 weeks or more I've been trying to work out why my new purchases of Cubase 4 and Goliath and Stormdrum 2 were fighting with each other like cats and dogs! :confused:
I've tried almost every trick in the book to work this out, and at times felt like like throwing my Computer out of my studio window!!! :mad:
"STOP / PRESS"

Today I solved the problem, it seems it was not a software battle conflict going on at all.

What was it I hear you ask... ????

It was hardware kicking the s**t out of my software!

It is my Fatar Studiologic SL990 Pro 88 Note Midi Keyboard.

On the panel of my EMU 1820M sound card audio dock box, you can see either a number 1 or number 2 lit up every time you hit the midi keyboard; this corresponds to the midi channel you have plugged the midi keyboard in to.

But I noticed either midi number 1 is either flickering or lit up all the time.
This in term led to my testing the keyboard and finding out that the mod wheel is faulty, the number 1 only goes off if I set the mod wheel about half way up! (It might just need cleaning but I suspect the old dog has served it's purpose and the prospect of replacing it means nothing compared to thinking I was up the river without a paddle in regards to finishing my current musical projects.)

Whilst my samples were being played back, this corrupt mod wheel was trying to alter all the reliant samples as well, so complete overload.
The new East West Samples Goliath +Storm Drum2, have a great deal of samples that use the mod wheel for instrument changes, I know my system is getting dated and it could never keep up with all these midi data changes on the fly etc.

The moral of my story is: "Although I have learnt a great deal about my new software and how to get the best out of my system.
Always test the thing you least expect first!" ;)

"Oh yeah and never give up!" :)

DarkIVI
05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Congrats ;)

Jim Curits
05-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Congrats ;)

Cheers...time for a well earned beer!;)

Jim Curits
05-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Another beer please I've just fixed my midi keyboard; "Dry Joints"

5 minutes with the old soldering iron, and she is as good as new...(Touch Wood)! :D