PDA

View Full Version : Computer came today

dexterwheeler
05-12-2008, 05:46 AM
So after more than a month of trying to budget things out I have taken the PC route to start.
I now have a Intel Xeon X3350 Yorkfield 2.66GHz Pc with 8 gigs of ram. I am using the E-mu 1212M PCI Digital audtio card. I still plan on buying a Mac pro in december when the price drops a little.

here is how I plan on running this Windows Xp64 system. If you have any suggestions let me know. Excited to start making music. (P.S drives 1-6 is 320 gigs and 16 mb cache)

DRIVE 1 - Windows xp64/Cubase 4/Altiverb
DRIVE 2 - Platinum Strings/Synthogy Ivory
DRIVE 3 - Platinum Brass/Spectrasonics Atmosphere/Virtual Bassist
DRIVE 4 - Platinum Woodwinds/RA
DRIVE 5 - Platinum Percussion/Symphonic Choirs
DRIVE 6 - Vsl special Edition
DRIVE 7 - Firewire external drive for saving

Pietro
05-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Take a look at my thread about Cubase4 and 64bit here:
http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=13448

Might find it useful.

The library placement seems fine to me.

- Piotr

dexterwheeler
05-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Take a look at my thread about Cubase4 and 64bit here:
http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=13448

Might find it useful.

The library placement seems fine to me.

- Piotr

Hi Pietro,

I enjoyed reading your thread. But you mention Fx teleport on a slave computer. I'm planing on running this on one PC for the time being. Will I tun into big problems?

Pietro
05-12-2008, 06:28 AM
This tutorial (No 4 on my website), shows how to use FX Teleport on a single 64bit machine to be albe to use more than 3GB of memory for VST instruments and samples.

Because, normally it wouldn't be that easy ;)

- Piotr

dexterwheeler
05-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Oh thanks again. So do you think I'll be able to run a lot of the softwares without major problems?

persentio
05-12-2008, 07:07 AM
About shuffling what goes on each drive, a good way would be to determine which libraries conflict with each other the most; ie of the 2 libraries in each drive, if you use one you probably wouldn't use the other in the same project; or use it much less.

pinkster
05-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Dexterwheeler: Your setup looks pretty well thought for me. Do you say, you already have bought all of this stuff too?, if not: Seagate have drives with 32Gb ram at around same price. They also run on about 10 Celsius lower temperature than ie.WD's KS-drives. Which manufacturer have you chosen?
Cheers.

And great thanks for your helpfulness, Pietro

I'll have an in-depth examination into your tutorial with pure pleasure. And I surely won't forget to thank Lex, who indeed opened this FX-tele-case and gave the information firstly for the use of us all. Thanx Lex.

dexterwheeler
05-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks Pinkser I bought western digital drives. I'm wondering if I should over clock the cpu.

pinkster
05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi

Yes, sure you can take a try, why not. These new motherboards warmly welcome you to do it. Of course still you should know what you are doing then!
There's at least this guy doing things over his prosessor, results not so bad, though I think there's no necessity to go even that high in the name of stability. http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=57123
Btw, what mobo did you get?

Greetings :)

dexterwheeler
05-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I believe the motherboard is the pk5. I'll probally stay away from clocking the cpu just yet.