PDA

View Full Version : Need serious advice on iMac

Jeremy
05-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Alright, another newbie with computer questions... I know... everyone sigh and get it out of the way with! But guys/girls, I really need your HELP otherwise I wouldn't bother you. I just quit my last and final band attempt because dealing with 5 other opinions and slack attitudes isn't working for me and is seriously limiting my creativity. ENTER EW/QL. This software is by far the most inspiring musical tool I've seen since I graduated from music school. I a chomping at the bit to get started. So here is where I am (and where I need my first round of help): I am planning on using the MOR, Bass XP, and SD2 to start with but will eventually get the symphonic things as well. I need to know if shoul buy the new 3GHz 24" iMac with 4GB of Ram and 1TB of storage or should I go with a less expensive PC. In college we used all Macs but we weren't dealing with so many GB of info and processing. All of my experience and conversations so far have lead me to believe that the Macs are the simplest way to plug and play without tweaking this or adjusting that. Basically, the arguments I have heard are all super-positive in regards to the iMac and its ease of working with complex and taxing audio/video. So I jumped onto the forum last night to see if this question has been answered already only to find out that most of you are running PC's of the dual and quad-core variety. See my frustration? I don't mind spending the money on the iMac so that isn't the question. The question is, quite simply, WILL IT WORK for me? Will I be wishing I built a PC instead? If it will work, are there any considerations I need to take into account NOW so I can plan on upgrades and such. If it won't work, any suggestions on a good PC configuration will also be helpful. I just want to have one computer that works and that is really the bottom line. So, if there is anyone in here with serious advice, please reply. I am waiting to purchase until I get the responses I need. Thank you in advance for listening and giving a future composer the direction he needs.

dnedwards
05-14-2008, 03:47 PM
After speaking with the EastWest tech support folks, I think Mac Pro is the way to go. I asked one of them today about the "dream machine" for the orchestral library. A Mac Pro with a lot of RAM seems to be the ticket. But that's assuming you're using a 64-bit player (i.e. Play) and a 64-bit VST host. If you're not, then you eventually will be.

A.Leung
05-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Theres nothing 'serious' about an iMac. ;)

Take there advice. Get a MAc Pro.

If you need help in what hardware to pick out or congigurations I'de be glad to help out. I build systems (pc's and MAcs all the time)

cheers,

Dave Bourke
05-14-2008, 06:02 PM
I have an iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Core Duo and a Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66 GHz. The iMac is for internet and office stuff and the Mac Pro is for music. Hang on and get a Mac Pro.

Kind regards.

nickysnd
05-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Jeremy,

Two words: Mac Pro.

(are these words?...)

:)

nikolas
05-15-2008, 02:36 AM
I guess it's abbreviations... (?) Macintosh Professional.

Here's my suggestion: (another abbreviation) PC.

I don't think there's much difference anymore, apart from the OS, of course. If you like Logic, it's Mac only, if you like Sonar it's PC only, if you like Cubase it's recomended for a PC, but works on a Mac as well. At least to my knowledge.

iMac is too... "small" for the reason you want a computer.

(second suggestion, as everyone else: Mac Pro, no doubt there as well)

Jeremy
05-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Thank you so much for the wisdom. I was actually ready to call up Apple and order that iMac this weekend. I'm glad I didn't. So I guess if my choices are either a Mac Pro or to build a PC, it would come down to the OS and music host, huh? Well, I am thinking that I would rather spend the $ on software instead of hardware, so if I build a PC, which music host is the best? I realize that is a loaded question, but speaking from experience, I know that some of you guys out there have tried SEVERAL and you do have a solid opinion. I have used ProTools and Ableton Live. I really like the way LIVE is set up. Any opinions?

PS: A. Leung... are you serious about helping me get the right (read: compatible) parts for my PC build? I saw on here someone thanking you for your help, so I am inclined to trust your advice as I have never built a PC before.

Thanks gang! I'm one step closer. Hopefully I will be giving folks advice here someday. I will definitely be part of "the fam" for a long time to come.

ELP71
05-15-2008, 05:16 PM
iMacs are very pretty and appealing, but MacPros are the true answer for running multiple libraries like you are suggesting. Its really all about getting the computer out of your way.

Sounds like you're vascillating a little bit now between Mac/PC...I would slow down for a minute because you are going to have to live with this for a while. I suggest that you choose your host first - that will ultimately guide your decision of Mac/PC. Download some demos, go to a Mac store, whatever you need to do to get a 'feel' for the host, because in all honesty that's where you will be living musically, not with the PLAY engine or with the OS.

likecmposr
05-15-2008, 07:34 PM
excellent advice ELP!!!! Yes try to find a friend who has those programs you like, like Cubase or Logic and play with them for awhile and see what you like or mabe find some school that has those things in them.

Jeremy
05-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Wow ELP71, that is excellent advice. I think the favorite so far has been Cubase for the PC and Logic on the Mac. I'm going to start a new thread in Harware for you guys to list out your systems and performance with the products you are using. Hopefully you can take the time to list and that way we can start a "standard" for all newbs to see what other users are working with. So, if you wouldn't mind, let the listing begin!