PDA

View Full Version : Imac 20" 2.4

skertchly
05-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm planning to replace my Powermac G5 1.6/ 4G RAM with the new Imac core duo 2.4 ghz and upgrade it to 4G RAM. Is that a good option if I canīt afford a MacPro?, Am I going to get better results than my Powermac G5?

Best,

Jose.

Nanto Warrior
05-20-2008, 10:53 AM
You sure as heck will get better portability, comrade.

Golden Warrior. :D

nikolas
05-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I will confess that, although I don't use Macs, it seems like a "small" update to me.

You are moving from 4 GB RAM to... 4 GB RAM (so no change there) and from a single core (G5 is single core, right? :S) to a... dual core, which is a small change in all honesty. The change in frequency again doesn't seem enough to justify something like this (1.6 to 2.4).

also can you upgrade later on? If you find the money, can you put an extra... 8 GB of RAM, for example? Is it 64 bit?

Sorry for the questions, I don't know much about Mac, I use a PC, but just based on what you described in your post, it does seem that you could wait a bit longer, save a bit more and go for a Mac Pro instead... Just my opinion of course...

cjed
05-20-2008, 11:02 AM
I will confess that, although I don't use Macs, it seems like a "small" update to me.

You are moving from 4 GB RAM to... 4 GB RAM (so no change there) and from a single core (G5 is single core, right? :S) to a... dual core, which is a small change in all honesty. The change in frequency again doesn't seem enough to justify something like this (1.6 to 2.4).

also can you upgrade later on? If you find the money, can you put an extra... 8 GB of RAM, for example? Is it 64 bit?

Sorry for the questions, I don't know much about Mac, I use a PC, but just based on what you described in your post, it does seem that you could wait a bit longer, save a bit more and go for a Mac Pro instead... Just my opinion of course...

Well perhaps it makes a huge difference considering the <problems> with PLAY on PPC... I agree the low frequency difference shouldn't play (if used in a host - only one CPU can be used by a plugin instance). So I think the imac is a better choice, even if with good software optimization your G5 should be ok. But finally I see you are using Kontakt based libraries, so the G5 should be fine, you can wait a little.

nikolas
05-20-2008, 11:06 AM
What problems? Don't know about any problems (really, I don't. I don't have any PLAY product, nor a Mac...)

skertchly: Better listen to those who know rather than me. My opinion was more towards a wild guess to what you mentioned rather than anything else and my experience with upgrading stuff, the need to upgrade vs the budget (towards which I do know a tiny bit about. :D:D:D)

A.Leung
05-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm planning to replace my Powermac G5 1.6/ 4G RAM with the new Imac core duo 2.4 ghz and upgrade it to 4G RAM. Is that a good option if I canīt afford a MacPro?, Am I going to get better results than my Powermac G5?

Best,

Jose.

Save yourself some greif. Save for a MAc Pro. Even if its just a used Dual 2.66. Youll be very happy you did.

skertchly
05-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Thank you all for your answers!

I hope a can save for a MacPro, couse actually I'm getting CPU overloads all the time with my G5 1.6

A.Leung
05-21-2008, 11:46 AM
a WORLDS difference exists between a G5 and an Intel machine.

Nanto Warrior
05-21-2008, 03:11 PM
That really depends Allen. You know if I had a laptop Id be the Mobile Golden Nanto Warrior. Able to mockup scores at the speed of light....

Sometimes the portability is necessary-what if the wife is sick of the epic trombone samples after the 50th run? Or the dog likes the taste of the Mac Pro's surface. A laptop allows you to take your business into your own world, in the comfort of your own zone.....this has made me consider getting a Macbook pro for location recording and quick fixes.

Jeremy
05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd listen to A. Leung, skertchly. He talked me out of an iMac 2 weeks ago and I'm in the middle of my planning/purchasing parts for a bad-azz PC. My total so far is @ $3,000 and this new rig is a monster-killer. Tiger Direct baby!:D

GtrJazz
09-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Hey guys I have been offered a iMAC 1.83 ghz for $350. Could I use this just to try logic 8 and DP? And only use the computer as a sequencer and my PC to host all my VST?