PDA

View Full Version : Advice with building new PC please.

Gulliver
05-23-2008, 05:26 AM
Hello all,

I am about to order a new music PC, and would like to post the specs here in the hope that more experienced users might spot anything that relates to it's suitability to do the job.

My present PC does not meet the basic requirements needed to run PLAY, and it is about time I upgraded anyway. I run quite a lot of EW instruments as well as midi and audio, and need to be able to work on large scale compositions. Having said that I don't want to buy Quad Core at this point. So -

CPU - Intel E6850 - Dual Core 2 x 3 G
Motherboard - Intel X38 board
RAM - 2 x Corsair 4 Gb kit, DDR2 1066 MHz

Hard drives - 3 x WD VelociRaptor 300 Gb. 10,000 rpm, 16 MB Cache. (1 for system drive + 2 for sound library, probably raided)
- 1 x 1Tb 72,000 rpm 32 Mb cache (for projects, audio etc).

Look forward to any observations that you might have.
Many thanks,
Gulliver.

persentio
05-23-2008, 05:56 AM
It looks good to me; however you *might* want to consider a 500GB instead of 1TB drive for your audio. Also, do away with the Raid thing. It doesn't help much especially since you have Raptors. Use the extra Raptor to further split up your sample libraries and you will get much better performance than configuring a RAID.

johng
05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
agree on the TB drive -- wouldn't want to lose all that data if the drive fails! I would suggest a large backup drive though.

But I guess if it's going to have 8 GB of RAM it's going to be 64 bit?

Gulliver
05-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys!
Yes, it's going to be 64 bit as you guessed. When I quoted a TB hard drive for project files, I thought I was looking ahead. It's a large amount of storage I know, but I envisage getting into some video work. Both of you are doubtful about the TB, is that because of the pitfalls of keeping everything in the same place, or do the larger drives have some problems?
Many thanks again.

A.Leung
05-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys!
Yes, it's going to be 64 bit as you guessed. When I quoted a TB hard drive for project files, I thought I was looking ahead. It's a large amount of storage I know, but I envisage getting into some video work. Both of you are doubtful about the TB, is that because of the pitfalls of keeping everything in the same place, or do the larger drives have some problems?
Many thanks again.

Your better off with more smaller drives. Access time is improved. I still dont trust larger drives as well as they seem to have shorter life spans as many manufacturers are skipping in the fan department.

MPDmike
05-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Smaller drives also have the advantage of being cheaper than the larger ones.

dexterwheeler
05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Your better off with more smaller drives. Access time is improved. I still dont trust larger drives as well as they seem to have shorter life spans as many manufacturers are skipping in the fan department.

I thought 500GB (32mb cache drives were good for samples. Or are 150GB drives with less cache just as good as long as you dont go over 65%?

A.Leung
05-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I thought 500GB (32mb cache drives were good for samples. Or are 150GB drives with less cache just as good as long as you dont go over 65%?

I prefer 250 gig drives but 500 is ok. I would definitley stay away from 1-2 tb drives UNLESS they are being used STRICTLY for 'Back-up end of day purposes'.

dexterwheeler
05-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I prefer 250 gig drives but 500 is ok. I would definitley stay away from 1-2 tb drives UNLESS they are being used STRICTLY for 'Back-up end of day purposes'.

So the cache size is not that important?

A.Leung
05-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Caches sized 8 MB and more have proven very useful for applications in the audio field. Laptop hard disks’ caches are generally substantially smaller; on standard desktop computer models, hard disks’ caches usually range from just 2 to 4 MB.

dexterwheeler
05-23-2008, 05:41 PM
so 16mb cache should be okay?

A.Leung
05-23-2008, 05:43 PM
so 16mb cache should be okay?

your good to go. now go and put together your system and make some music. ;)

dexterwheeler
05-23-2008, 05:48 PM
your good to go. now go and put together your system and make some music. ;)

Thanks Allan I'm just trying to build a slave so I can work on newtworking and because I heard intel is dropping their cpu prices in Q3

Jeremy
06-07-2008, 04:55 AM
I replied to your processor question in another post (I suggested the E8500). As far as drives go, there are plenty of 16MB cache drives for decent money on the market right now.