PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro with slaves or just Mac Pro. Need advice!

ckorangy
05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm about to build a home studio for film scoring purposes.
I started out with the idea of having;

1. MacPro running DP or Logic as my sequencer
2. PC slave with my Platinum Pro and other VST's.

My MacPro would have;
2.8GHz Quad 4 Gb RAM along with Stylus RMX

PC
GA-EX38-DS4 MOBO
Dual Core E8400 Wolfdale CPU
4Gb DDR2 800 RAM
4x 250 Gb HDD 7200 RPM
running Platinum Pro across the 4 drives along with Goliath, Atmosphere, RA, MOR, SD2, VOP spread across the drives

I would connect with HD9652 on the PC with MidiOverLan and ADAT connection to an interface (suggestions welcomed!) on my MAC. I would like to be running a 64-bit system as well.

Would I just be better off getting a MacPro with say 16GB RAM and 15000 RPM SCSI drives and putting all the Platinum Pro and other instruments mentioned above on that and running it as a 64-bit system on the MacPro?

Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Chris

A.Leung
05-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Both are good ideas/solutions. If you go route 'A' I would go for a MOTU 424 pcie card for the mac and get yourself at least one MOTU 2408MKIII. That gets you lots of digital ins and outs and you would of course route your PC's sound card to the MOTU 2408 and from there back to your host (MAc/Logic)

But I [would] kick in for at least 6 gigs of RAM for the MAc.

Route 'B' works as well and if your totlally new to networking PC's together might be the better route to get you making music tomorrow as opposed to getting over any steep learning curves.

Route 'B' might also make more sense and eliminate any interfaces that allow for multiple ins and outs if your really not planning on having a LARGE 'farm' or if your not planning to record instruments live or have/own multiple external synths. Route 'B' makes more sense if your planning on staying in the world of MIDI composing and not so much live audio.

Of course I always promote 'farms' and Pcs with Macs so that folks can take advantage of both software worlds but the way I work might not be the way 'you' work.

Food for thought nonetheless,

Cheers,

ckorangy
05-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks Allan!

I'm leaning towards the PC farms with the Mac only because I am looking towards expanding my software down the line.

I already have a MOTU 828 but I've heard a lot of people are using the 2408MKIII which I would consider getting, only it doesn't have MIDI imputs, so would I be correct in saying I would need another MIDI interface?
Also is any other hardware necessary for syncing all the equipment up when writing to picture. (sorry for the awkward wording but I hope I'm clear enough)

Thank you

A.Leung
05-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks Allan!

I'm leaning towards the PC farms with the Mac only because I am looking towards expanding my software down the line.

I already have a MOTU 828 but I've heard a lot of people are using the 2408MKIII which I would consider getting, only it doesn't have MIDI imputs, so would I be correct in saying I would need another MIDI interface?
Also is any other hardware necessary for syncing all the equipment up when writing to picture. (sorry for the awkward wording but I hope I'm clear enough)

Thank you

What were you needing the MIDI input/output/thruputs for? Do you have external midi gear? Most can get by with MIDIoverLAn which transmits MIDI signal via ETHERNET. And most keyboard controllers have a USB port that transmits MIDI data over. If you needed MIDI ports you could get a sound card that has one already on it. We actually have midi ports on all of our soundcards but never even use them. Even when we use the Behringer automated mixer controls we connect those to the PCs using USB.

For synching with picture its a snap! Gone are the days when you needed external synching methods to deal with all that. You can view the movie on your computer OR to free up computer monitor space get yourself a Canopus ADVC unit. That takes the MOVIE and moves it to an EXTERNAL dedicated tv or monitor that you might want to mount to a wall for easier viewing. The canopus box ties into your MAC master using a firewire cable. The movies image is transmitted via firewire TO the canopus and FROM the canopus it goes OUT to the monitor. Some latency is involved but thats easy to fix in your video settings preferences in Logic or whatever host you use. The latency is usually quite minimal.