PDA

View Full Version : How much RAM is enough?

Gulliver
06-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Hi guys, many thanks for all the good info on building a new machine. I am now asking myself how much Ram I am sensibly going to need in the next few years. My old machine has 3G and on that I can work with up to 16 instruments/sounds before having to stripe to audio.

I've been planning a machine with 8G, but after some of your comments I now wonder if that is going to be enough for the forseeable future. I will be running various EW instruments on Sonar 7 but I must confess I still have no idea if 8g will give me the freedom I am looking for. Can anyone tell me whether 8G would house a full orchestra for example? And who knows what new softwares will be released in the next few years, that might need even more Ram to run?

I fully expect to be building yet another machine when large quad is more affordable, so the question is how much RAM is going to do the job until my next quantum leap?

A.Leung
06-01-2008, 12:09 PM
you dont mention what platform your on. My general rule for dual or Quad mac users in the Intel world is to go with NO LESS than 6 gigs of ram. That seems to work comforatably.

Gulliver
06-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi Allan,
It will be a PC with an Intel E8400 dual core, running Vista and Sonar 7.
I've got the new VelociRaptor drives on order, and up to now I've been thinking 8G of RAM will be enough, but the recommended motherboard stops at 8G and it's an uncomfortable feeling knowing that I'll be unable to add any more without a major upheaval. Do you think I could a full orchestra would load on 8G of RAM?

Psychlone
06-06-2008, 07:58 AM
I run a G5 mac with 7 GB of Ram and I can run 4 maxed out EastWest symphonig Orchestra modules before i start getting memory messages. But it still works comfortably with up to 5 or even 6 modules, just a bit slower as it has to start getting samples off the hard disk instead of uploaded RAM. I guess it depends how complicated you need your orchestra to be. I don't know about you but I can easily max out 2 modules just on a string section with different techniques! Hope that helps a little, but if you can afford it you can never have too much RAM in my opinion!

Jeremy
06-07-2008, 05:38 AM
Easy answer: How much can your rig support minus how much you can afford to buy. f you have no budget, fill that puppy to the max!!!

paulwr
06-07-2008, 08:04 AM
My slaves get 64 instruments loaded on 2 gig ram (Kontakt2) using the 3Gig switch. DAW I can get about the same on 4GB ram with 3Gig switch. I'll be trying out 64bit land on a slave when Play for SO comes out in July and I'm sure adding a lot of ram.

Exceeding 8GB of ram and thus being forced into server mobo's, etc......... gets a lot more expensive. So much so that you might be better off having a DAW at 8GB ram, and a slave. A $1200-$1500 slave will take you far.

-Paul

Pietro
06-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I can load about 60 instruments from Platinum Pro (x3 mics), that is about 180 patches in about 5-6GB and still have some space for more. My preload buffer is pretty low (at 78KB) though, meaning there's a lot of streaming going on all the time. I have 5 SATA II drives to stream from, so after all, it's... kinda working.

- Piotr