PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro, buy now or wait a couple months ?

Muziksculp
06-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi,

Any idea if APPLE will be introducing a new line of Mac Pros in the next two months, any rumors, or buzz about this ?

I ask this because I'm thinking of adding a second Mac Pro 8, core. with possibly faster, and more RAM capacity (64 GB instead of the current 32 GB max).

Mainly to run some of the heavy-weight sample libraries.

I'm thinking in terms of the next 3 years, since 64-bit applications, and OS will become more of a standard, and RAM prices seem to be taking a downward trend.

Would it be wiser to wait another two months, or just go ahead with the current generation of Mac Pros.

Thanks.

gstitt
06-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I would doubt there would be any huge updates, but I'm not an Apple expert. Are you really planning on putting 64 gigs of RAM into one machine? While that would be awesome, I'm not sure it would be very cost effective, at least for quite a while. I would think for the price of that memory, you could buy several machines, whose summed memory would be at least 64 gigs.

Either way, I don't think you could really go wrong with another Mac Pro right now. 2 quad cores and up to 32 gigs of memory shouldn't be obsolete for a long time, definitely not within the next three years.

Nanto Warrior
06-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Hardware depreciates as we speak. I said Id be getting a new machine for ages now. Im GLAD I didnt. Amazing monster machines are becoming cheaper, and cheaper......and cheaper.

I will make my move when the time is right and be satisfied forever.

WAIT.

Golden Warrior. :D

A.Leung
06-01-2008, 11:49 AM
NANTO, one can never be 'satisfied' forever. Todays current trend in computer technology shows that in order to remain current and near the TOP of the trend one needs a new system on an average of every two years.

Vincent Bergbahn
06-01-2008, 12:44 PM
At least wait till June 9th. When apple has it's developers conference and it like to introduce new things.

Jeremy
06-07-2008, 05:36 AM
The question you ask is secondary to your desire to produce music. If you want the latest and greatest, then you will never wait long enough because todays killer rigs are tomorrow's dust-buckets. If you are ready to make music, I say go for it, because there will always be a faster, better computer on the horizon. Speaking from experience my friend.

On another note, you could build a PC with upgradeablility and last a bit longer in the tech race.

Vincent Bergbahn
06-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Shit! I might wait to Nehelam,,,,,man I'm not sure and I probably don't have the dough right now. Once EWQLSO PLAY comes out that will be the big push for me. PLAY choirs will put me over the edge.

The anatech report show Nehelam at about 50% increase on a not even finished version of the chip!

Muziksculp
06-10-2008, 02:05 PM
APPLE's announcement of the next OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard", which seems to focus on improved performance, and more RAM access capabilities is quite an exciting development.

Given the capabilities APPLE is trying to have in "Snow Leopard", it would only make sense to predict that APPLE will be introducing a new line of Mac Pros, and possibly iMacs that will be expandable beyond the 32 GB limit.

Since OSX 10.6 is a year away from now, I'm not sure what to expect from APPLE as far as a new line of Macs, but based on the OSX 10.6 announcment, I'm pretty much confident that they will take the Mac line to the next level, as far as RAM capacity is concerned.

Hopefully the current 64-bit Leopard will be getting more support from Audio/Music SW developers in the next few months, including popular DAWs such as LP8, and Cubase4/Nuendo 4, ...etc. and 64- bit compatible plug-ins will become more of a standard.

Well... I guess I will wait another 2-3 months (end of Sept.) and see what happens rather than going ahead with the current line of Mac Pros.

A.Leung
06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Just curious. Whats 'Maxed out' on the Mini for you?

Personally I'd hold off and skip the iMac and wait till you can afford youre MAc Pro.

And yes the Mini makes an excellent slave. You can run V-stack on the Mini OR RAX2.

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I need something to hold me over. If I get a base model Imac will that work with QLP?? and EWQLSO PLAY in July?? I will bump up the ram.

I really can't wait a year for a new computer. But I can hold out on the MAC PRO till Nehalem. I'm runnign a mac mini right now and it's close to maxed out with EWQLSO gold.

I want to buy EWQLSO PLAY PLATINUM ,QLP PLAY and StormDrum 2. I'm going for an all PLAY setup. Can An Imac run those?? Would it be an improvement over my 1.8 ghz mini. I think it only has fw400 so fw800 would better.?.?...

QLP
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR MAC
G5, 2GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4 or higher

RECOMMENDED MAC SYSTEM
Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz or faster processor, 4GB RAM

Which Imac model would EW suggest. I wish they would put up and suggested configurations for all model of macs, expecailly the mac pros, since they have soo many configuration possiblities (hard drives / ram / etc.)

Since I will have my mac mini still can I use it as a slave?

IMAC models

(This is a steal)
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
250GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory
Ships: Within 24 hours
Free Shipping
$1,149.00

(This seems to meet the 2.5ghz recommended EW requirement)
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
320GB hard drive1
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Free Shipping
$1,399.00

(300 bucks for the bigger better screen)
2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
320GB hard drive1
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Free Shipping
$1,699.00

(at this piont just get a mac pro)
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
500GB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory
Ships: 2-4 business days
Free Shipping
$2,059.00

Subtotal $3,427.95
Estimated Ship:
2-4 business days
Free Shipping
Next business day delivery available

Mac Pro $3,328.00

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
2GB (2 x 1GB)
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)
Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
One 16x SuperDrive
Apple Mighty Mouse
Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide

+ free ipod ($200-300)and -$100 free printer.

HP Photosmart C4280 All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copier

iPod Family Product Description Rebate Amount Part Number Personalized Part Number
iPod nano 8GB Silver $199 MA980LL/A PA980LL/A
8GB Pink $199 MB453LL/A PB453LL/A
8GB Blue $199 MB249LL/A PB249LL/A
8GB Green $199 MB253LL/A PB253LL/A
8GB Black $199 MB261LL/A PB261LL/A
8GB Red $199 MB257LL/A PB257LL/A
iPod touch 8GB $299 MA623LL/B PA623LL/B
16GB $299 MA627LL/B PA627LL/B
32GB $299 MB376LL/A PB376LL/A

running total....

Eastwest/Quantum Leap Pianos EDU PLAY $345.00
EWQLSC $535.50 no edu no play
PLAY ORCHESTRA Platinum Plus $1295 or Platinum $1195

oh yeah and external FW800 Hard drives +200 each and RAM cost ???

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 04:09 PM
http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/rax/

http://www.steinberg.net/29_1.html

nikolas
06-10-2008, 04:09 PM
OMG!

Vince, your post reads like a SPAM selling NOKIA 2470 etc...

LOL!

A.Leung
06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/rax/

http://www.steinberg.net/29_1.html

Vincent. R U feeling alright today? ;)

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
By Maxed - Out I meant cracking and popping then cuts out. This only happens if i play very fast repetitions. It's not cutting it as playable in every sense of the word yet.

LOL thanks guys yeah I just get excited and share my plans or dilemmas online. Buyers anticipation! I'm itching to buy a new mac and was hoping for new releases yesterday from them, but NOPE only Iphone stuff. :rolleyes:

A.Leung
06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh-I was just curious because I love pushing those littel guys to their limit. I was wondering what it is you had running on it. i.e. are you running Kontakt2 and if so how many instances, etc, etc...

A.Leung
06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
LOL thanks guys yeah I just get excited and share my plans or dilemmas online. Buyers anticipation! I'm itching to buy a new mac and was hoping for new releases yesterday from them, but only Iphone stuff. :rolleyes:

Hahha- I can tell you are very excited. Stop on by. Ill make us a couple of hot fudge sundays and we can chill!

I get nuts over iPhone stuff tooo!!!!!

I'd love to advise you on an iMac but I'd rather you avoid any dissapointments/frustrations down the line and hold out. I think the reason East West doesnt list any recommended machines is because they probably werent, a.) tested on any iMacs and b.) (if) they were they probably didnt make the cut.

Cheers,

A.Leung
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Oh- FWIW- my thoughts on V-Stack versus RAX2: I have both and played alot with RAX but just wasssnt thrilled with it. MAybe I'm too old school but I really liked the look and layout AND flexibiity of V-stack over RAX. RAX2 ws just...well... too kiddie like to me.

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
No actual I talking about stand alone performance with 6-8 instruments loaded playing all at the same time. I sketch out ideas with the entire 88 keys covering string and brass and play it as one orchestra. Then do a subtractive method. But that's how I sketch or play my yamahap-300's on board piano (but would like to upgrade to QLP for that)

A.Leung
06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
So your able to load ONE standalone Kontakt2 player with 8 instruments?

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Give me your thought on Imacs anyways... I might do it and then also get the nehelem mac pro later when it comes out.

My girlfriend just got an base model Imac 2.00 and I jealous! and now it's been up dated to 2.4 I'm really getting tiered on this CRT I'm using.

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 04:31 PM
So your able to load ONE standalone Kontakt2 player with 8 instruments?

Um not sure about that. I'll have to check and get back to ya on that.

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 04:32 PM
OMG!

Vince, your post reads like a SPAM selling NOKIA 2470 etc...

LOL!

That's because it IS spam! LOL not really.... VB thought spam

A.Leung
06-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Maybe put out an APB on all iMac/PLAY users. THeres got to be SOME brave souls out and about? no?

teraslasch
06-10-2008, 07:58 PM
heh i just ordered my mac pro recently , oct core 2.8ghz, and another 8gb ram from OWC :D.. havent arrive, but i'm excited.

To me, what i really need now is a mac pro, so i got it. I don think it will be anywhere near obselete in 3 years time. even if they announce HEXA-CORE in the next couple of months, or 64-gb ram support, i will be noting near there. Because right now i only intend to have 10gb. the current gen of mac pros seem to be extremely stable now, so, like they always say, if it aint broken don't fix it. If u really need it now, u should just get it, but if you don't, you can always wait a couple of months. Though the wait is neverending ;). I have waited long enough!

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Congrats man! Let us know how it is... post a picture.

teraslasch
06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Congrats man! Let us know how it is... post a picture.

sure thing :D.. hoping for the beast to arrive soon! heh.

Muziksculp
06-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Congratulations !

The Mac Pros are great, they are very capable, very quiet, and stable computers, I'm sure they will keep you busy for the next 3 years. (You are tempting me to order one as well :) )

Waiting is not the sweetest feeling, but, since I already have a Mac Pro 3.0 Ghz. 8 core (1st generation) w/8 GB RAM, which has been solid, running OSX 10.4.11 (Tiger), LP8. I'm willing to put up with the longer wait, but if you need it now, just get it, that's a very good philosophy as far as computers go, there will always be the next hipper machine, it's a never ending quest for the ultimate computer.

Who knows, I might end up getting one too, especially if nothing is announced in the next 2-3 months, which is quite a wait, with a bit of a risk taking involved in waiting, especially if APPLE does not announce anything by Sept.

Since we are on this topic, and the PLAY version of EWQLSO just around the corner, I wonder, would I be able to comfortably run a large template of instruments (i.e. all of the basic meat & potato EWQLSO PLAY articulations of string, brass, woodwinds, and Percussion) on two Mac Pro 8 cores, each loaded with 16 GB of RAM ?

It would be great if we can run tons of VIs on one machine, 64-bit DAWs (I hope LP8 64-bit is not too far away) running 64-bit VI's, Well... that seems to be a bit far fetched given the current pace of progress, especially on the Mac side, but a two computer solution IMHO beats 3,4,5, or more computer farms.

I'm sure one of these days, one super Mac Pro will do the job ! sadly, we are not there yet.

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm on the same page with you there. You don't think the one souped up mac pro can do the job? What would be the limitations? Also why have aren't you used leopard yet, won't that yield a performance gain on your current Mac pro? yeah I second that. I can't wait for LP8 64bit Thats the only thing keeping the entire system from being completely 64bit. I suppose it will happen soon enough.. sigh.

The Ultimate Mac Deal to compliment EWQLSO PLAY release!

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=13906

Muziksculp
06-10-2008, 09:50 PM
As far as having one souped up Mac Pro running all the basic instrument articulations of EWQLSO PLAY, well... I haven't got a clue if that would be possible, I wish EW would say that's possible !

I just purchased Leopard, and will be installing it in the next few days, I was being a bit cautious about moving to Leopard, prior to LP8 version 8.02, and OSX 10.5.3, since quite a bit of LP8.02 users on OSX 10.5.2 were reporting core audio issues. I think 10.5.3 w/ LP 8.02 is quite stable from what I've been reading on the APPLE LP8 discussions, and other LP8 forums.

I'm quite hopeful that the next big LP8 upgrade would finally be full 64-bit support, but then again, who knows what's next :rolleyes:

Vincent Bergbahn
06-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Have you asked EW if a Mac pro can handle it?? I've been wondering this exact question, yet I just haven't asked them or called. I think I recall seeing someone post that the EW tech's suggested it as their dream machine, but I'd have to hunt the forums for that.

Muziksculp
06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
No, I have not asked EW that very important question, but since EWQLSO (PLAY) has not been officially released yet, I was not sure I will get a very clear answer even if I did ask, but this might be a good time to ask them this question, since we are not too far away from the official release date.

teraslasch
06-11-2008, 12:01 AM
play can load outside the 4gb limitation of logic currently (if u are on leopard), so it might be able to fufill ur dreams. depending on how heavy a user you are, for me, i know it'll be more than enough.

Vincent Bergbahn
06-11-2008, 04:26 AM
Maybe Nick or Doug can chime in on this??