PDA

View Full Version : Stormdrum questions

nickpancake
06-02-2008, 03:10 AM
I was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions about SD. I understand SD comes with a loops library and a samples library.
Can I recreate the loops exactly as they sound with the samples? I like the demos on here and since I don't plan on using the loops I want to make sure I can use all the sounds I am hearing from the samples. So are the loops using any instruments that are not in the sample library?
Also I really like big cinematic acoustic drums mixed with electronic elements. Does SD have have any electronic samples?

persentio
06-02-2008, 04:34 PM
I believe the loops use samples included in Stormdrum; nothing 'exclusive'.

BTW; you might want to get SD2 instead... Or both! :D SD2 has some electronic beeps and glitches.

johng
06-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Are you talking about SD1 or SD2? If it's SD2 you can recreate the loops exactly with the samples.

The same is NOT true of SD1; in that library the loops are separate from the samples.

nickpancake
06-03-2008, 03:27 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but is SD2 better than the first? I know it has over half the samples and the midi loops to use instead of the audio ones from the first one. But SD2 doesnt use any of the samples from SD1, and I really liked some of the sounds I heard in the demos for it. So since SD1 used the taiko drums, does this mean that SD2 does not have them? Or does it mean that SD2 just resampled everything and may have the same instruments as SD1, just not the exact same samples as SD1?

likecmposr
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
SD1 and SD2 make a great combo. SD2 is WAY more varied since you can change tempos as you have MIDI files to deal with instead of just 'loops'. Both do come with some great kits and sounds though.

Get both!!!

A.Leung
06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
I dont know if I could buy SD2 without owning SD1. It would be sacrilege. Like Skipping straight to the second DVD "Behind the scenes" without watching the main attraction! ;)

persentio
06-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Really? I was kinda going to get SD2 without SD1... =x A big reason being SD1 won't be PLAY-ed.

A.Leung
06-04-2008, 03:11 AM
the only reasons I can think of for NOT getting SD1 is if your not a huge fan of Kompakt, Intakt or Kontakt. If you have the computer resources go for SD2. It DOES require some serious power to play back all 16 tracks of certain multis!

persentio
06-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Yup I absolutely detest the Kompakt UI. Intakt I havent had the experience nor do I plan on crossgrading to Kontakt. Since SD2 promises great percussion as well and is PLAY; I'll be pretty much tied down getting my head around it and that's enough. (I can't even get my head around all the libraries I currently own!) I plan on putting SD2 on a 36GB Raptor drive. My computer should be powerful enough to handle the rest.

johng
06-05-2008, 07:09 AM
SD2 is great, but I use SD1 in every project too. The multi-sampled stuff in SD1 is deep and excellent, though SD2 frankly is a big step up in musicality.

I know a lot of people have problems with various pieces of software, so not to discount those who don't like Kompakt or Kontakt, but I've used Kontakt on my last three scores, tons of trailers, etc. and am about to start a new film using it on that too. It works pretty well for me; it has plenty of built-in effects, you can put 64 patches into one instance (which pretty much fills a 32bit Windows PC if you are running EWQLSO), and it really has been stable and highly usable for me.

Every one of the sample players has limitations. In some ways, the best I've seen is MOTU's MachFive as far as flexibility, but you can't run the libraries on it from EWQL.

nickpancake
06-05-2008, 10:04 AM
So would everyone recommend SD2? Cause it seems like both are really good, but SD2 has a lot more instruments and midi loops instead of audio loops. What is this PLAY feature that SD2 has that makes it so good?

johng
06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
What is this PLAY feature that SD2 has that makes it so good?

PLAY is not a feature, but the engine that allows you to play back the sounds; it is in the same category as Kontakt or Kompakt or MachFive -- a sample playback engine.

The advantages of it are:

1. PLAY is Intel Mac compatible, by contrast with the Kompakt engine that came with my SD1 (and most other original EWQLSO libraries). All the new EWQL libraries are on PLAY. Kontakt 2 and Kontakt 3 are also Intel Mac compatible; on my older libraries I am using Kontakt 2 with no problems on an Intel Mac.

2. PLAY is 64 bit compatible.

3. PLAY, if I understand it correctly, can, in some circumstances, allow you to use more memory even if you are not running 64 bit.

Plus, PLAY has a number of other features that people like. I use both PLAY and Kontakt and like them both.