PDA

View Full Version : Wow, it's FAST!! The entire QLP on one single Raptor!

V o n h ö g e n
06-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi folks, I just recovered from a serious crash of my multiple computer DAW. I lost two 150 GB Raptor drives and two power supplies while working on a QLP-project, due to excessive overheating.

Since the two Raptors are damaged beyond repair, I bought the new WD Velociraptor and put the entire Quantum Leap Pianos library on it.

Boy, it's FAST!!! I am amazed how much faster this drive is compared to my old Raptors! Truely amazing... :eek:

Working with QLP has now become even more fun than it already was. It makes me forget the many tedious hours of reinstalling QLP that I had to go through. Everyone who has installed QLP knows what I'm talking about, now imagine that you have to do it one more time! :(

Am I the only one who has installed QLP on the new Raptor? I'd like to see some more impressions, 'cause this HD rocks!

- Jerome Vonhögen

A.Leung
06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
I KNEW you were going to like that drive. ;)

V o n h ö g e n
06-02-2008, 12:04 PM
I KNEW you were going to like that drive. ;)

Right, I forgot that the Velociraptor has been available in the USA for a while now, and that you already had a couple of those drives running in your DAW. :o The Velociraptor hit the European stores only days ago, which explains my excitement. :) I'm quite sure this drive is gonna be a huge succes.

- Jerome Vonhögen

Pietro
06-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I think I might get one or two for Platinum in the future. It's still a rare drive here though.

How noisy is it? Comparing to regular SATA II drives? I guess, the answer is - worth the performance difference?

- Piotr

V o n h ö g e n
06-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I think I might get one or two for Platinum in the future. It's still a rare drive here though.

How noisy is it? Comparing to regular SATA II drives? I guess, the answer is - worth the performance difference?

- Piotr

Piotr, the new Raptor is MUCH more quiet than any of the three previous Raptor models (36 Gb, 74 Gb, 150 Gb). I think it's because of its size. It's in fact a 2,5" HD placed in a 3,5" cooler block.

It is the fastest harddrive around in terms of access time (except for SSDs, of course) and through-put. However, I think the real gain is in the incredible burst-rate, which is even above the SATA 150 specification! :eek: That's why this is the first Raptor to have a SATA II interface.

I may sound like a spoiled child (which I am not, I guarantee!), but I seriously think about replacing all remaining Raptor drives (I have a whole bunch of these) by a handful of these new ones. I think it is more worth the money than buying a superfast CPU. Now that AMD has finally solved its Duo/Quad-core mapping problem, there will be a series of cheaper Quads to choose from anyway. :cool:

- Jerome Vonhögen

A.Leung
06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes same here. I need to get more Mac sataII extender cables. Take a part 2 more macIntells and maybe pick up 4 more of those Velociraptors. sweeeet.

A.Leung
06-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Jerome,

Did you buy: http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php
to hook up your raptors with or did you get a dedicated card?

Just curious cause if I take apart a $2.00 sata2 cable I could concievably make the angle thats required to get up inside the Mac but then its probably better to just pay the $25.00 for the newer technology chord (I have 2 already) Sure saved a lot of cash considering what SOME of sata cards go for... ($150-$450)

persentio
06-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Darn it! To my last knowledge I don't think the drives are available where Im at yet... :( Better go check!

A.Leung
06-03-2008, 03:55 AM
darn. Nevermind. I can't get the Mac to see the velociraptors even after my kluge with the sata extenders. Guess they'll have to remain with my PCs. Damn damn.

V o n h ö g e n
06-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Jerome,

Did you buy: http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php
to hook up your raptors with or did you get a dedicated card?

Just curious cause if I take apart a $2.00 sata2 cable I could concievably make the angle thats required to get up inside the Mac but then its probably better to just pay the $25.00 for the newer technology chord (I have 2 already) Sure saved a lot of cash considering what SOME of sata cards go for... ($150-$450)

Allan,

I'm sorry to tell you, but my DAW is mainly PC-based (only one of my computers is a MAC). I therefore do not have the SATA connection/mounting trouble you have to face. I do know about it, though. Must be annoying. I can't understand why Apple doesn't offer a standard 19" U2 rack casing for the MAC Pro as an option. After all, the MAC Pro is supposed to be used by pros, unlike iMac.

F.y.i., I've tested the Velociraptor with the SATA II ports of my PC mobo's as well as with this (http://www.cdromland.nl/img.php?filename=prodimg/108287-Digitus-DC-30102-S-ATA-kaart-PCI-Express.jpg) SATA II PCI Express device from Digitus, and the results were equal. No noticable differences. Of course, this only applies to PC, but maybe you are considering a change to PC anyway. :p

- Jerome Vonhögen

Jeremy
06-07-2008, 05:27 AM
Sounds like yet another reason that not "everything" is better on a Mac!